• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is this not in dumb threads yet. You people thinking the moon is real... You disgust me

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How is this not in dumb threads yet. You people thinking the moon is real... You disgust me

01DA86E1-32F0-429B-A34C-4BAC5A23F222.jpeg

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. NY is far worse, actually.

View attachment 1648254
Something like this can be very misleading because it understates the impact on individuals. The vast majority of states are between ~9 and ~11% in the chart but it really doesn't begin to represent how much the true tax burden shifts depending on individual situations. Wealthy people don't care about sales tax or gas taxes but do care deeply about income taxes (and often property taxes).

If you make your money on cap gains (and make enough of it), California is the most expensive state by far because we don't differentiate between cap gains and ordinary income and our top marginal rate is 13.3%. For regular people in CA, it's not nearly as bad.

One interesting artifact is that everyone says the CA tax base is too dependent on high income earners and that we would get hosed during a recession. Those people didn't realize that our country protects rich people above all else and that the Fed came to their rescue, hence California's $76B surplus this year. For the last decade or so we have been losing people making under $100k and gaining high income people. I guess our revenue policy is crazy like a fox.

Having said all of that, I don't really see taxes driving people out of the coastal part of our state as much as property prices. I know plenty of people who give up because of the cost of living but people just complain and accept the tax situation. I've just resolved to make as much money as I need to in order to live the live I want to live. The live I want to live is in California so I have to make more money than if I were to live somewhere else. I'm okay with that. I do understand why some people in Tahoe choose to live just across the border in Nevada. The delta in overall tax burden might look like just a couple of points, but for high earners it could be 13.3% and with no more SALT deductions, there's a reason Carnelian Bay is so nice.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I heard more specifically you allegedly fished it out

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
New marketing woman just walked into my office with a piece of paper.

She says...."There were some calls on my phone....I just found out how to use it."

I take the paper and look at it. 4-5 phone numbers.

I say...."Ok...no messages?"

She says...."No."

I say...."What if they are MARKETING CALLS?"

She looks at me as if I have 8 eyes on my forehead. I hand her the paper and she scurries away!

She really thought that I would call those numbers and get info!

5uT.gif

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New marketing woman just walked into my office with a piece of paper.

She says...."There were some calls on my phone....I just found out how to use it."
She just found out how to use a phone!? Huh wtf?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
She just found out how to use a phone!? Huh wtf?

I kid you not! Those were her words!

We have an after hours service with options......just as so many co's do. I believe select 4 for the marketing dept. Why would she walk that into my office? I am NOT in marketing!

When I said....suppose they are marketing calls....she had a puzzled look on her face that puzzled me!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads