• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

brokencycle

Reaction score
Had a fraudulent charge on my Citi card in early April. Filed a complaint thinking it was an easy case. Vendor provides proof I ordered with delivery notification to the Bronx. I point this out to Citi, they said no problem. Call them every now and then to get updates. Yesterday they tell me it was closed as I never responded to their claims. Now I am shopping around for a new CC. Any good ones for a non-baller?

Also, since being let go from my last job, I have PTSD every time there is slight disagreement and I think the cause is solely on me and I will be let go again. This has led to a lot of sleepless nights, stress, and weight gain. It doesn't even have to be big things, some very minor everyday type items. This sucks...

I highly recommend Chase. The Freedom and Freedom Flex are free and have some decent benefits. The Sapphire Reserve is great as well. It has a steep annual fee ($550), but you get a $300 travel credit for any travel, so it is really $250, and then it gives you a lot of solid travel benefits.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
At the very least, you should take the subsidized loans. They don't start accruing interest until graduation.

Yeah, to the extent that your kid qualifies...they should take the subsidized loans.

Personally, I like the idea of the kid having some skin in the game (and when they aren't in the dorms, you can let the loan disbursements go towards things like rent and living expenses). With subsidized loans its not like you graduate with some ungodly amount of debt...

brokencycle

Reaction score
Yeah, to the extent that your kid qualifies...they should take the subsidized loans.

Personally, I like the idea of the kid having some skin in the game (and when they aren't in the dorms, you can let the loan disbursements go towards things like rent and living expenses). With subsidized loans its not like you graduate with some ungodly amount of debt...

My stepdad always said you appreciate things more when you have to pay for them, and I generally find that to be true.

Plus I have been on this crusade a bit in CE as you know. Undergraduate debt is generally pretty low particularly if you get out in 4 years.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A close friend lost his wife to breast cancer about nine months ago. On Saturday he is having a BBQ (hosted by another close friend) to introduce us to his new GF/fiance(?). I was hoping to avoid the whole thing but my wife already committed to bring something to the BBQ.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now I am shopping around for a new CC. Any good ones for a non-baller?
I'm a fan of my Apple Card.
The few disputes I've had were settled quick. If something sketchy is going on, you can change your entire CC# in seconds with a tap...

brokencycle

Reaction score
A close friend lost his wife to breast cancer about nine months ago. On Saturday he is having a BBQ (hosted by another close friend) to introduce us to his new GF/fiance(?). I was hoping to avoid the whole thing but my wife already committed to bring something to the BBQ.

Claim you have covid like symptoms.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Claim you have covid like symptoms.
Fortunately the BBQ is at noon and I have to pick up a trailer around 2:00 for a motorcycle cornering class we're taking on Sunday, so I have a natural escape. I will put in an appearance and then peace out as soon as I can.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a fraudulent charge on my Citi card in early April. Filed a complaint thinking it was an easy case. Vendor provides proof I ordered with delivery notification to the Bronx. I point this out to Citi, they said no problem. Call them every now and then to get updates. Yesterday they tell me it was closed as I never responded to their claims. Now I am shopping around for a new CC. Any good ones for a non-baller?

Also, since being let go from my last job, I have PTSD every time there is slight disagreement and I think the cause is solely on me and I will be let go again. This has led to a lot of sleepless nights, stress, and weight gain. It doesn't even have to be big things, some very minor everyday type items. This sucks...

sorry to hear about your job anxiety! Did you lose your last job due to disagreement or just to restructuring/cost cutting? I was of the impression it was cost cutting. Might be something you can see a counselor about to get an objective POV

ocooney

Reaction score

This is what I did with my kids. Each graduated with about $20k in debt. I told them that if they graduated in 4 years that I would pay off the debt as a graduation present. Neither of them took me up on it.

And everyone qualifies, it just means completing the FAFSA every year.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sorry to hear about your job anxiety! Did you lose your last job due to disagreement or just to restructuring/cost cutting? I was of the impression it was cost cutting. Might be something you can see a counselor about to get an objective POV

I was told it was cost cutting as me and another guy were let go. I disagree as do other parties but it doesn't change what happened is stuck in my head :(

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I highly recommend Chase. The Freedom and Freedom Flex are free and have some decent benefits. The Sapphire Reserve is great as well. It has a steep annual fee ($550), but you get a $300 travel credit for any travel, so it is really $250, and then it gives you a lot of solid travel benefits.
I have the Chase Freedom Unlimited card and really like it. It offers 5% cash back on travel purchased through Chase, 3% cash back on dining at restaurants and drugstores, and 1.5% cash back on all other purchases.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our accountant just finished with the taxes. After a pretty large refund last year, we owe a few thousand dollars this year.

Thanks a lot, Biden!

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Plus I have been on this crusade a bit in CE as you know. Undergraduate debt is generally pretty low particularly if you get out in 4 years.
Not to go into full CE mode here but one of the problems with "generally pretty low" is even "pretty low" can be too much for first-time and minority college students to take on. And if you do take on the debt because you were behind the eight ball financially to begin with, it can be a lifetime of unsurmountable debt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics