• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still hold out hope- I've got approximately a new Toyota Camry's worth of loans...

GTFO with that small timer Toyota Camry bullshit. I can buy a very nice, brand spanking new Audi Q7 and give it a tank of gas.

Sadly though, mine are all private, so no dice for me either way.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Similar to a mortgage, I don't know anyone who said paying off their student loans was a bad idea. Congrats!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Why pay off a low interest mortgage when you can get 40% in stonks? Same idea with a .75% student loan.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Particularly if you can deduct the mortgage interest.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GTFO with that small timer Toyota Camry bullshit. I can buy a very nice, brand spanking new Audi Q7 and give it a tank of gas.

Sadly though, mine are all private, so no dice for me either way.
Well, when I started, I had the equivalent of a nicely equipped Q8. My wife had the equivalent of a nicely equipped Q7. Our combined student loan debt was more than the purchase price of our first house.

But that law degree I didn't use for a decade was totally worth it...

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why pay off a low interest mortgage when you can get 40% in stonks? Same idea with a .75% student loan.
I'm weighing that decision right now with my car loan. Pay nothing down and reinvest my down payment into stonks and hope for ? ? or actually be responsible and lower my monthly payment by putting in a decent down payment. Right now I'm lookin at 60 month 2.39% rate from my bank. I'll need to see what Porche financing offers when my car comes in.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was paying 6.x% in the early 201x in student loan interest. Those low rate loans are capped in size then you move into the more expensive ones but who wants nuance in a discussion.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Florida has property tax on cars, doesn't it?
It does, but it’s not so bad.

what killed me in ‘20 was the decision to go paper hands in the market and liquidated some investments to insulate against both downturn and job loss. So I had to pay a bunch of capital gains (and foregone..forwent? value appreciation).

Yes, I knew what I was doing but just because you see it coming doesn’t mean it’s not painful ?

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I finally got sick of my student loans after 22 years and paid off the balance. I still had to write a five-figure check. That **** is insidious man

brokencycle

Reaction score
It does, but it’s not so bad.

what killed me in ‘20 was the decision to go paper hands in the market and liquidated some investments to insulate against both downturn and job loss. So I had to pay a bunch of capital gains (and foregone..forwent? value appreciation).

Yes, I knew what I was doing but just because you see it coming doesn’t mean it’s not painful ?

If you don't hold to the moon, you deserve what you get.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I was paying 6.x% in the early 201x in student loan interest. Those low rate loans are capped in size then you move into the more expensive ones but who wants nuance in a discussion.

About 20 years ago now I rolled 75k into a 30 year am. I got .5% off for autopay and .5% for making my first X payments on time and still have about 30k at .75%...but who wants facts in a discussion?

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About 20 years ago now I rolled 75k into a 30 year am. I got .5% off for autopay and .5% for making my first X payments on time and still have about 30k at .75%...but who wants facts in a discussion?

Can't get rates like that any more and agree paying off doesn't make sense at that level...

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I also paid off my low interest mortgage in early 2020 (before COVID.) I sometimes wish I have that extra money in the market but then I remember how nice it was having my feet up by the fireplace and not having a job...

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Splitting the difference between hibbeldy and happy: my e-filing was rejected and I have to submit on paper. This would have been a much bigger deal if I'd waited for tax day to submit like I usually do.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads