• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can’t keep up just do what you do

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The preferred nomenclature is "Inuit."
Esquimau

As a Canadian though, I thought you would know they are called "first nations"

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Esquimau

As a Canadian though, I thought you would know they are called "first nations"

Yeah, no. First Nations is a distinct category of indigenous people vs. Inuit.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, no. First Nations is a distinct category of indigenous people vs. Inuit.
Is it? I thought it was an all encompassing term

Like native American which covers, as far as I know, every type of tribe.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Is it? I thought it was an all encompassing term

Like native American which covers, as far as I know, every type of tribe.

There's this thing called "Google" which you could use to prove my assertion incorrect...if you were so inclined.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's this thing called "Google" which you could use to prove my assertion incorrect...if you were so inclined.
No no, not challenging you just making a general comment of I thought it was something different.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
The definition of "First Nations" is pretty much all indigenous folks that are not Inuit or Metis.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The definition of "First Nations" is pretty much all indigenous folks that are not Inuit or Metis.
See above reference about dogs laying eggs.

Tendies,
The advantages of the Volvo xc90,
The nuances of anthropological classification in the great country of Canada,
A historical view of Pontiac Michigan night club scene in the mid to late 90s,

you are a veritable font of information!

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I'm embarrassed to say that I am just learning this, and I've almost certainly referred to Inuit as First Nations in the past. Mea culpa.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I'm embarrassed to say that I am just learning this, and I've almost certainly referred to Inuit as First Nations in the past. Mea culpa.

The only reason I know is I've done some public health work on reservations, both in the US and Canada, earlier in my career. You don't know hopelessness and despondence until you visit some of these remote locations; it's really a blot on both countries.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
The only reason I know is I've done some public health work on reservations, both in the US and Canada, earlier in my career. You don't know hopelessness and despondence until you visit some of these remote locations; it's really a blot on both countries.
Well that's the thing, I've been to about half a dozen different Arctic villages, but clearly have not really left my bubble while I've been there if I missed something that basic.

I picked up "First Nations" from traveling frequently to Vancouver and never really looked any further into what it means, to learn about those exceptions.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Diabetes is rampant in certain bands and amputations, from just a toe to above the knee amputations (AKA,) are not uncommon along with diabetic ulcers, which are tough to heal wounds. I can remember many discharge orders reading along the line of, "Send to so and so SNF for wound care and hold until running water installed at dwelling." I think it's even worse in some northern locales and the huffing of gas is near epidemic is some spots.

I will say, and this is based on no deep knowledge as I'm world's way from this now, but it appears gambling money has helped to improve the quality of life for many reservations to include providing meaningful employment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads