• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

brokencycle

Reaction score
My favorite trend is companies that don't share salary range until at least one round of interviews in. One FANG company in particular is notorious for it.

I had another recruiter reach out to me the other day, wouldn't tell me the salary range, but he was trying to sell me on all of the wonderful benefits the company offers. The thing is, by tech industry standards, they were mediocre at best.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My favorite trend is companies that don't share salary range until at least one round of interviews in. One FANG company in particular is notorious for it.

I had another recruiter reach out to me the other day, wouldn't tell me the salary range, but he was trying to sell me on all of the wonderful benefits the company offers. The thing is, by tech industry standards, they were mediocre at best.

Let me guess. The same recruiter demanded to know what your current salary was before they would secure you the interview.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The union hall calls me @8am and gives me an address, I go to that address and fill out some papers, they give me a couple short pieces of pipe, I weld 'em up and the Xray tech shoots them. I'm in a ditch welding by 11am Boom new job

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It also bothers me that companies take previous/current salary as a data point. There is a strong chance that my previous/current salary is a factor in my decision to search for a new position.
I've had several recruiters reach out to me the past 12-18 months. I don't even bother giving my salary. I tell them this is the salary I want and if the job opening isn't close then I'm not moving forward. For the most part they stop contacting until they have something. Only 1 or 2 actually followed up with something but location wasn't going to work for me.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The union hall calls me @8am and gives me an address, I go to that address and fill out some papers, they give me a couple short pieces of pipe, I weld 'em up and the Xray tech shoots them. I'm in a ditch welding by 11am Boom new job

dat grasshopper life

brokencycle

Reaction score
Let me guess. The same recruiter demanded to know what your current salary was before they would secure you the interview.
It also bothers me that companies take previous/current salary as a data point. There is a strong chance that my previous/current salary is a factor in my decision to search for a new position.

I've seen that go away actually. Some states have made it illegal. Every company is now going with "what do you expect for a salary" or a variation on that phrase.

My wife and I have both been screwed by that salary thing. I don't provide my salary anymore. If a company won't move forward, fine.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, is the A usually Apple or Amazon? I've seen both, so now I'm never quite sure.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We used to do that question on current or desired salary. Still might, I don’t know - policy changed so that HR handles salary negotiations and I simply have to make the decision on who to offer the job to.

it’s blatantly and unapologetically the old negotiating tactic of getting the other party to name a number first.

as far as ghosting candidates - companies need to understand that they exist to sell products in their industry. So besides trying to be a decent group of humans, why would you also want to create a detractor in your industry every time you give someone a ****** interviewing experience?

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kind of a odd story - about 2 weeks ago a sort of accidentally applied for a job in a small but excellent school district close to home for me. I say accidentally because I had applied last year right before COVID hit, and obviously the job posting just kind of evaporated and I didn't think much of it - hadn't interviewed or anything but submitted an application. Cut to about two weeks ago when I was checking out that district's job listings randomly and saw that they had reposted the position. I clicked on it thinking I would see what I needed to submit and get an idea of whether I might apply again and what I would need to update etc. However, it automatically renewed my old application.

The next day, while I'm at work (Wednesday) I get a phone call from the principal asking to interview me either Thursday or Friday of that week. Obviously short notice, but I agree and schedule personal leave for that Friday and arrange for sub and write sub plans and all that. Interview goes seemingly well, getting good vibes all around and they tell me they will be in touch by Tuesday of the next week. The interview was with Principals from 2 schools (same grade levels) as well as a person from HR.

Tuesday of last week comes and goes and I email Wednesday night to respectfully check in and they email me back and say "sorry the process is taking longer than we thought as we've had so many good applicants, we will let you know by Friday at the latest. Talk to you soon."

Friday of last week comes and goes and I don't hear anything and I just checked and the job is listed as closed now. Obviously I didn't get the job, or an opportunity to continue with the interview process, but am I off base in being annoyed here? I still would love to teach in this district (and potentially at these schools) in the future, so obviously don't want to burn any bridges, but I would also like an opportunity to get some feedback on where I can improve most as an applicant in the future.

Questions remaining:
If I had probably the last interview how would they have such a bad estimate of how long they would take to move forward? Or, alternatively, why would they BS me and say they hadn't decided if they already had? Why make the point of saying they would talk to me soon?
Relatedly, if they had such a strong field of applicants, why was my 11th hour application with outdated materials met with such immediate interest by them?
They iced you. They thought you were a good possibility but they had a preferred candidate. So they iced you until they got an accept/reject from the other candidate and moved forward accordingly.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, is the A usually Apple or Amazon? I've seen both, so now I'm never quite sure.

I missed an A. It is FAANG. In my case I was talking about Amazon. They won't even give you a range until you pass round 1.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tech companies in general are very transactional with executive hiring. Cash comp is low, relative to finance or professional services for example, and equity grants almost always have a one year vesting cliff. So if they can tell you’re a bozo early on, turfing you out costs them very little.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I feel badly for little people that need to be passive aggressive. Okay, I'm lying, I just think they're craven bitches.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads