• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

1620690708623.png

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Speaking of performance reviews ... right out of college I went with an architectural firm in New York that was -- at the time -- one of the hottest places in the country to work. Because of that they paid next to nothing. I spent two years there and in my review one of the partners let me know they were happy with my work but speaking in code made me aware that I should not think of them as my future. Well, to be honest none of us did ... they were resume padding during our internship. Moreover, they required that we work killer hours and I was getting tired of that. I was already looking for another firm for more resume padding that would cover the second part of my internship. It wasn't as hot, but they had far more established connections. Two weeks later I got a job offer.

I gave my notice at hotshot firm. A few hours later I heard my name over the PA and was asked to call Ext 100. I'd never heard of that one. Had it been, "call Ext 200" I'd have know then and there I was being fired ... we all did. It happened a lot .. including to a few people who went on to be very big names in the field. Well, #100 belonged to the corner library ... apparently the #200 conference room was already in use. There sat partner #5 -- the unnamed partner who never got his name on the shingle -- at the far side of the room. I went to pull out a chair.

Partner: No, no. No need to sit. I hear you want to leave us.
Me: Well, your review of me made clear that it was expected at some point.
Partner: Well, you have given us two weeks notice. Could you leave a bit sooner?
Me: I could indeed. Just say when.
Partner: Finish your latte.
Me: It won't take that long.
Partner: Uhhhh, I take it I can still use the house in Southampton this weekend? (It was a relatives house, not mine).
Me: Uhhh, no.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Partner: No, no. No need to sit. I hear you want to leave us.
Me: Well, your review of me made clear that it was expected at some point.
Partner: Well, you have given us two weeks notice. Could you leave a bit sooner?
Me: I could indeed. Just say when.
Partner: Finish your latte.
Me: It won't take that long.
Partner: Uhhhh, I take it I can still use the house in Southampton this weekend? (It was a relatives house, not mine).
Me: Uhhh, no. I take it I can still **** your wife and daughter this weekend?
My response

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Geez, I’m working on it ok?

In all seriousness if I’m still in my current company in a month I’m banning myself from posting until I get a new job. Holy hell what a **** show.
****** is red, my pockets are green
and this is the worst fuckin' job I ever seen

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It bothers me that Newsom’s forehead is so shiny

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My puppy has a boner many times during the day now.

And if I was packing as much heat as he was on an dong to weight/overall body length ratio, I am pretty sure I would be walking around pantsless too.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I lost another Artsy auction, this time for a sculpture by Sam Gilliam. Gilliam is a DC native who has experienced a late-career resurgence due to his recent representation by Pace Gallery. Most of his pieces that have come to auction recently have sold well above the top of their estimates. I thought I had a shot at this one, but the bidding got too rich for my blood. (Top bid was $9.5K, but adding in the buyer's premium, state sales tax, and shipping and handling made the cost close to $13K.) I could afford to buy but not afford to own; there are other places my money should be going. So maybe it's more Things That Slightly Disappointed You?

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kind of a odd story - about 2 weeks ago a sort of accidentally applied for a job in a small but excellent school district close to home for me. I say accidentally because I had applied last year right before COVID hit, and obviously the job posting just kind of evaporated and I didn't think much of it - hadn't interviewed or anything but submitted an application. Cut to about two weeks ago when I was checking out that district's job listings randomly and saw that they had reposted the position. I clicked on it thinking I would see what I needed to submit and get an idea of whether I might apply again and what I would need to update etc. However, it automatically renewed my old application.

The next day, while I'm at work (Wednesday) I get a phone call from the principal asking to interview me either Thursday or Friday of that week. Obviously short notice, but I agree and schedule personal leave for that Friday and arrange for sub and write sub plans and all that. Interview goes seemingly well, getting good vibes all around and they tell me they will be in touch by Tuesday of the next week. The interview was with Principals from 2 schools (same grade levels) as well as a person from HR.

Tuesday of last week comes and goes and I email Wednesday night to respectfully check in and they email me back and say "sorry the process is taking longer than we thought as we've had so many good applicants, we will let you know by Friday at the latest. Talk to you soon."

Friday of last week comes and goes and I don't hear anything and I just checked and the job is listed as closed now. Obviously I didn't get the job, or an opportunity to continue with the interview process, but am I off base in being annoyed here? I still would love to teach in this district (and potentially at these schools) in the future, so obviously don't want to burn any bridges, but I would also like an opportunity to get some feedback on where I can improve most as an applicant in the future.

Questions remaining:
If I had probably the last interview how would they have such a bad estimate of how long they would take to move forward? Or, alternatively, why would they BS me and say they hadn't decided if they already had? Why make the point of saying they would talk to me soon?
Relatedly, if they had such a strong field of applicants, why was my 11th hour application with outdated materials met with such immediate interest by them?

Last edited:

barutanseijin

Reaction score
Kind of a odd story - about 2 weeks ago a sort of accidentally applied for a job in a small but excellent school district close to home for me. I say accidentally because I had applied last year right before COVID hit, and obviously the job posting just kind of evaporated and I didn't think much of it - hadn't interviewed or anything but submitted an application. Cut to about two weeks ago when I was checking out that district's job listings randomly and saw that they had reposted the position. I clicked on it thinking I would see what I needed to submit and get an idea of whether I might apply again and what I would need to update etc. However, it automatically renewed my old application.

The next day, while I'm at work (Wednesday) I get a phone call from the principal asking to interview me either Thursday or Friday of that week. Obviously short notice, but I agree and schedule personal leave for that Friday and arrange for sub and write sub plans and all that. Interview goes seemingly well, getting good vibes all around and they tell me they will be in touch by Tuesday of the next week. The interview was with Principals from 2 schools (same grade levels) as well as a person from HR.

Tuesday of last week comes and goes and I email Wednesday night to respectfully check in and they email me back and say "sorry the process is taking longer than we thought as we've had so many good applicants, we will let you know by Friday at the latest. Talk to you soon."

Friday of last week comes and goes and I don't hear anything and I just checked and the job is listed as closed now. Obviously I didn't get the job, or an opportunity to continue with the interview process, but am I off base in being annoyed here? I still would love to teach in this district (and potentially at these schools) in the future, so obviously don't want to burn any bridges, but I would also like an opportunity to get some feedback on where I can improve most as an applicant in the future.

Questions remaining:
If I had probably the last interview how would they have such a bad estimate of how long they would take to move forward? Or, alternatively, why would they BS me and say they hadn't decided if they already had? Why make the point of saying they would talk to me soon?
Relatedly, if they had such a strong field of applicants, why was my 11th hour application with outdated materials met with such immediate interest by them?

To meet some quota. Or to bolster the appearance of a formal process when the hire was done informally. And so on. The possibilities are endless. You can’t be too cynical.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads