• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
LOL that source data can't be right. Either they made a mistake or you are being trolled. Also there are a ton of other research confirming more or less the same thing. Find them on google scholar.
What seems not right about it?

They found a small but maybe statistically significant difference... But that number was 1-2 BMI points and 0-1 body fat % points (the numbers on the photos).

So basically... Not a perceptable difference. The headline/article wants to sound like a real difference to drive clicks.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What seems not right about it?

They found a small but maybe statistically significant difference... But that number was 1-2 BMI points and 0-1 body fat % points (the numbers on the photos).

So basically... Not a perceptable difference. The headline/article wants to sound like a real difference to drive clicks.
I can't tell the difference in the models used as ideal body types. It looks like they just copy and pasted the same models over and over.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What happened to the President Trump thread? Did Captain Kangaroo throw a tantrum. It’s disappeared. Or maybe it just died a natural death?
6041C6A8-BE91-44F8-9C3B-30782EC632AA.jpeg

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Saw a headline today that said something like "People are wrong about what the opposite sex wants: Women overestimate men's preference for being thin and Men overestimate women's desire for big muscles"

Then you go look at the source data and you see these representations of the perceived ideals:

View attachment 1399125

Headline is a bunch of bullshit. The difference there is barely perceptible.

The real headline should be "Men and women know exactly what the opposite sex wants."

Sure the women's estimates are slightly slimmer and the men's estimates are slightly more muscular...but everyone still picked skinny women and athletic males as the ideal...the original headline (and any write-up without the picture) is just there to make people say "Ah, see, women don't actually want me to have muscles, those meatheads in the gym are just misguided" and vice versa. Totally misleading.
I must be a gay because I prefer most of those man bodies and none of those femme bodies.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can't tell the difference in the models used as ideal body types. It looks like they just copy and pasted the same models over and over.

The women are definitely different (but like I said--by 2 BMI points). Look at the upper waist and thighs, the right one is ever so slightly slimmer.

On the men, its hard to tell. left to right they go up 1 BMI point and down 1 bodyfat %, so it is more like they are becoming more defined--might be my eyes playing tricks on me, but it looks like their shoulders get broader.

Obviously this is just an average from a bunch of responses, they were shown various BMI/Bodyfat models and picked the ones they liked best, but on average they are essentially identical. They surveyed enough people that the difference might be statistically significant, but it clearly isn't a *meaningful* difference.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Neither one are what I'd call paragons. Maybe this stuff about super models and the heroic physiques in the Marvel universe impacting tastes and twisting expectations is incorrect?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I had to take a work training on workplace conduct and fraud awareness and such. Apparently the signs of an employee committing fraud are: 1. Living beyond one's means. 2. Secretive behavior. 3. Signs of addiction.

What kind of judgey bullshit is this??!?!

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had to take a work training on workplace conduct and fraud awareness and such. Apparently the signs of an employee committing fraud are: 1. Living beyond one's means. 2. Secretive behavior. 3. Signs of addiction.

What kind of judgey bullshit is this??!?!

Interesing, I thought of these were the signs of dealing with long-term employees.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads