• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
There's a pretty good chance the husband is a JW as well.

Your language here is interesting. In the US, at least, all health care is provided with "informed consent" only. It's not the patient's job to "comply" with anyone. People here have the right to turn down health care for any reason or no reason at all, even if it leads to the person's death.

Yes, the husband is who introduced her to it.
He wants to save her. A "friend" from the church stopped by to "check on them".
The guy wants to save his wife. even at risk of being shunned. But the choice isn't his.
The Nurses have placed the say onto her, until the very last second. (good news is husband hopes the wife's parents will intervene. what a ******* *****)

And the good news is, They are going to save the Baby.
Because under the laws here? An unborn baby has no religion. they have not verbally made a choice. They are obligated to do all they can for the Baby.
So my wife and a team of the best in the hospital are going to fight for this Baby.

If the mother doesn't make it? I will personally see it as death by peer pressure. And a broken home. A heartbroken single father, and a child who will never know it's mothers scent. It shakes me to my core.

So here is where we will have to agree to disagree.
But in any case, I will extend a hand of support. whatever happens. - Through other people.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Oh, sure, I agree. HC workers definitely don't like/want to work with people who aren't willing to take their advice or make their jobs easier. Informed consent is one of those things that sounds good when you're a first-year law student, but the real world is a lot messier than that. Even so, everyone, at least in theory, has the right to refuse medical care of any kind.

We'll take narcotics if they are prescribed by a physician. We're not fans of drugs of any kind, but if they're medically indicated we're not going to turn them down for religious reasons.

Pretty sure transfusions are medically indicated.

But to go back to your earlier point about my choice of words. Believe me, I do choose carefully.
For a patient to "Comply" is to simply be treated for their ailments, and out the door.
Patients who refuse to comply put not just themselves, but others at risk.
Hospital staff just want to do their job and go home to their families.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Time to hit back.
I want to ask, why do you not adopt the old text to modern medicine?

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Dude will prolly drive to his court appt.

What's up with some serious jail time?
I remember one time I had a traffic ticket of some kind and the woman in front of me was there for going something ridiculous like 85 in a school zone (25MPH). Judge was like: we've suspended your license several times, given you dozens of points and thousands of dollars in fines. I am going to have to sentence you to jail.

"I CAN'T DO THAT!"
"Well, nothing else has worked."

Didn't stick around to see what she and the PD worked out.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard this in court once. Some dumb guy ahead of me.
Judge: You've had 8 DUIs and you are here for driving on a suspended license?
Some dumb guy: yes
Judge: You were released OR?
Judge: BAILIFF !!!!

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I heard this in court once. Some dumb guy ahead of me.
Judge: You've had 8 DUIs and you are here for driving on a suspended license?
Judge: You were released OR?
Judge: BAILIFF !!!!
**** my sister had two duis and the attendant suspensions. One time she got pulled over while suspended AND dui but for whatever reason they didn't test her so she got away with it. But the kicker was that she had some coke in her pocket (miami kind not Atlanta kind) and somehow while cuffed got it out and hidden in the backseat. Anyway lots of times where her life could be ruined by the state instead of just by her.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I lived in Texas for a bit after I got out of the service and fell in with some hippies who introduced me to pot and psychedelics. Now in those days at that place you could get a nice stretch in the state pen for possession of a few seeds.
One day a couple of these guys get stopped for, well, being hippies and taken down to the station . One of them had a small ball of hash wrapped in tin foil he tried to throw away but couldn't manage before they cuffed him. When they got to the station the cops had them empty their pockets and put the contents on a table. The cop shuffled through the keys and cigarette lighters, picked up the tin foil ball, looked at , shrugged and tossed it into a trash can. They let 'em go but they had to head right home to clean the **** outa' they drawers.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Reminds me of a great story involving a New York State Trooper, a couple of pounds of shrooms, and a few hundred hits of liquid acid in an eye-dropper bottle.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn, you people sure do get arrested a lot.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure transfusions are medically indicated.
I agree. A transfusion is often a lifesaver. But sometimes people decide they don't want to be saved, for a variety of reasons, and it's their right to refuse treatment.

But to go back to your earlier point about my choice of words. Believe me, I do choose carefully.
For a patient to "Comply" is to simply be treated for their ailments, and out the door.
Patients who refuse to comply put not just themselves, but others at risk.
Hospital staff just want to do their job and go home to their families.
No disagreement here, except for the weird choice of "comply" as a description of a person choosing to accept medical care.

Time to hit back.
I want to ask, why do you not adopt the old text to modern medicine?
Was this directed at me? How is this "hitting back"?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads