• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IUtoSLU
Time to take it to the shower/bathtub and do some good old-fashioned hand cleaning. Don't worry, it won't hurt you!

That's what my wife keeps telling me.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I loaned money to family.

I shouldn't have done that.

I knew better, but I did it anyway.

Now I'm regretting it because I have to play debt collector with a family member.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Michael Barone kept looking at me tonight. I think he was impressed by my Tradly ensemble...sack suit, OCBD, J. Press tie, Oliver Peoples specs. I should have introduced myself but he was ranting about Obama and health care with some old farts.

ffffuuuu.gif

Not only should Conne not be allowed to make anymore DC threaks, he should not be allowed to post his imaginary encounters in DC either.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
ffffuuuu.gif
Not only should Conne not be allowed to make anymore DC threaks, he should not be allowed to post his imaginary encounters in DC either.

This was a real encounter
smile.gif

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
I loaned money to family.

I shouldn't have done that.

I knew better, but I did it anyway.

Now I'm regretting it because I have to play debt collector with a family member.

Loans with family = gifts. I've been on both sides of that equation (i.e., both deadbeat and stiffed lender). Good luck.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Working on my final paper for the semester. I cant seem to organize my thoughts or stay on task. This sucks. Its due on Thursday at noon, I have one page, need at least another 10. Also the class is taught by the Assistant Dean, who happens to be a bit of a hardass when it comes to grading so pressure is really high to write something spectacular.

Subject: Is Nationalism Modern?
Im using Gellner to support Modernity, and contrasting it to Perenialism and Ethno-Symbolism

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking about buying a house that needs some work. Oh and is 85 years old. hmm.......

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Loans with family = gifts. I've been on both sides of that equation (i.e., both deadbeat and stiffed lender). Good luck.

Thanks, I think I'm going to need all the luck I can get.

You're absolute right about the loan/gift issue; I was just hoping this would be different. This is a family member with whom my relationship has been strained in the past, mostly because of his behavior, and we've been repairing that over the last couple of years. He was formerly very successful, but he's kind of fallen on hard times. I thought this loan would serve as a good test case for whether I can trust him while also helping him out. Now it looks like something that may end up fracturing our relationship again, and I stand to be out a fair amount of cash when I could really use it.

I'm hopeful he's going to make good, but I'm not optimistic.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
Thanks, I think I'm going to need all the luck I can get.

You're absolute right about the loan/gift issue; I was just hoping this would be different. This is a family member with whom my relationship has been strained in the past, mostly because of his behavior, and we've been repairing that over the last couple of years. He was formerly very successful, but he's kind of fallen on hard times. I thought this loan would serve as a good test case for whether I can trust him while also helping him out. Now it looks like something that may end up fracturing our relationship again, and I stand to be out a fair amount of cash when I could really use it.

I'm hopeful he's going to make good, but I'm not optimistic.

People that selfishly put their own needs ahead of your own, after you did them a pretty big favor, aren't all that worthy of friendship imo. Hopefully you're not out too much money. Personally, I've learned my lesson about lending to family. Thankfully, my brother and sister both tend to pay back their loans, albeit always late. Other family members aren't so reliable...

Loans to "friends" are a different story. You have to look at them like a bank would look at them, and if there isn't a very high probability that they will pay you back, make up some excuse that you'd really love to help but just can't free up the funds at this time, or you're worried about your job, or whatever...

I have only one friend I'd consider reliable enough to lend money to, and she'd probably never ask, but i'd be happy to help her out if she needed it. It turns out that the people that are good risks don't typically need your help. People that need to be bailed out because they lived beyond their means while times were good get little sympathy from me. Ditto for people that consistently make bad choices. You shouldn't feel bad about saying no to these people.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I am so ******* exhausted and frustrated.

Bullshit.

You have a metric fuckton of hot chick friends on Facebook, I would recommend maybe screwing some of them. Would alleviate some of your stress.

seanchai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom
Working on my final paper for the semester. I cant seem to organize my thoughts or stay on task. This sucks. Its due on Thursday at noon, I have one page, need at least another 10. Also the class is taught by the Assistant Dean, who happens to be a bit of a hardass when it comes to grading so pressure is really high to write something spectacular.

Subject: Is Nationalism Modern?
Im using Gellner to support Modernity, and contrasting it to Perenialism and Ethno-Symbolism

That's the extent of the prompt? Is Gellner the only source allowed? There are a ton of more current authors to support you if you believe nationalism is a modern phenomenon.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by seanchai
That's the extent of the prompt? Is Gellner the only source allowed? There are a ton of more current authors to support you if you believe nationalism is a modern phenomenon.

Nah, I am unlimited on who I can use for theories. Gellner, Hobsbawm, Tony Smith, van den Berghe, and a few others, are who the class really concentrated on though.
I AM limited on the subject though, which sucks. I was given a list of possible subjects and had to chose one, couldnt modify or change it at all, hence the short short prompt.

seanchai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom
Nah, I am unlimited on who I can use for theories. Gellner, Hobsbawm, Tony Smith, van den Berghe, and a few others, are who the class really concentrated on though.
I AM limited on the subject though, which sucks. I was given a list of possible subjects and had to chose one, couldnt modify or change it at all, hence the short short prompt.

Sorry to hear that. It looks like your syllabus was written in 1991
frown.gif
Good luck!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads