• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

    The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

    If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Joined
Dec 5, 2006
Messages
61,927
Reaction score
25,307
I meditate quite frequently at my fire pit. True story. On the patio with a cocktail works great too.
 

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Nov 17, 2008
Messages
31,820
Reaction score
6,950

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Oct 16, 2006
Messages
36,771
Reaction score
11,374
My employer thinks everyone should be in the office every day or people aren't productive. In fairness, when we have a dusting of snow that closes the office, no works gets done because everyone treats it like a day off.
This is also my Company. They have a strong no work from home stance even in severe weather. It is stupid. they don't care if it takes you 7 hours to get in, you better be there.
 

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Oct 16, 2006
Messages
36,771
Reaction score
11,374
the Oakland A's broadcast team has this running joke about weather forecasting, where they go on for like 5 minutes explaining that 'a 70% chance of rain' indicates a 100% chance of 70% of the radar geography gets wet (as opposed to a 70% overall chance that any of the area sees rain)...

i suspect 'i might be gay' is basically the same thing
Weather forecasts bug me. They confuse deterministic and probabilistic forecasts all of the time. It will say tomorrow has a 30% chance of rain. To me that means there is a 70% chance it won't rain tomorrow. You click hourly and it shows a 100% chance of rain at 2pm. Dammit that means it is going to rain tomorrow!
 

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Dec 28, 2008
Messages
20,219
Reaction score
8,831
This is also my Company. They have a strong no work from home stance even in severe weather.
Ok do we not care anymore about correct usage of air quotes around the term? It’s “work from home” when written and you’re supposed to make the air quotes gesture with your hands when you speak it
 

Omega Male

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 30, 2013
Messages
3,066
Reaction score
4,583
First "out in the wild" coronavirus cases are in NorCal. Looks like we're gonna be the lab rats.
 

Omega Male

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 30, 2013
Messages
3,066
Reaction score
4,583
To be fair, in the First World you probably want to get this early on in the outbreak if you are going to get sick at all. Before the system is super stressed, so you can get advanced care if you need it. Later on, it's going to be more like the Monty Python "Bring Out Yer Dead" sketch. My parents are old and sick in a nursing home in a country with basically no proper public health resources. Will be very surprised if this doesn't eventually carry them off. :(
 

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Joined
Sep 27, 2014
Messages
7,580
Reaction score
8,359
Weather forecasts bug me. They confuse deterministic and probabilistic forecasts all of the time. It will say tomorrow has a 30% chance of rain. To me that means there is a 70% chance it won't rain tomorrow. You click hourly and it shows a 100% chance of rain at 2pm. Dammit that means it is going to rain tomorrow!
A Farmer could stand outside, and tell you a more accurate forecast.
 

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Nov 17, 2008
Messages
31,820
Reaction score
6,950

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

  • Classic Leather Low-Top

  • Canvas Plimsoll

  • Leather Slip-On

  • Canvas Slip-On

  • Athletic Kicks

  • Leather High-Top


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
435,981
Messages
9,369,782
Members
196,608
Latest member
o_Rion
Top