• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was raised Catholic (although I am now an atheist) but I can see that adding more complexity and don't envy your current position. In fact I feel for you and your situation.

That being said, one could argue that if the focus on health care was more about quality of life vs keeping one alive, it would take some of those decisions off of your plate.

I work for a med tech company so this line of thinking hurts my bottom line but that doesn't make me feel any less strongly about it.

On a micro scale, these types of decisions will always be tough and, in general, people just want all that can be done to be done (especially since often times insurance is covering these things, but that is another can of worms). For this exact reason, the decisions need to be made on a macro scale.

This is usually where people start freaking out about “death panels” and such, but if one thinks there isnt already an economic component factored into courses of treatment based on extensive analysis that often times is based on large scale clinical data with mortality benefit as a key endpoint one would be mistaken.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I cussed out a friar in a hospital when we took my mother in law off life support. I almost hit his dumbass.
Why were you worried about french fries at that time anyway?

Yeah i mean the other thing is statistically i don't gotta worry about this for a few decades so...

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why were you worried about french fries at that time anyway?

Yeah i mean the other thing is statistically i don't gotta worry about this for a few decades so...

My wife's very large and very catholic family were mostly there, probably a dozen. They were shocked, but the friar was being a ******* dick giving my wife and her sister guilt trips for not wanting their mom to live on a ventilator for weeks, months or years.

Apparently god's plan includes a **** ton of modern medicine and equipment, except birth control.

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That never made sense to me when people are against pulling the plug with the argument that humans shouldn’t be playing god but somehow having someone on a ventilator isn’t playing god.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for logic when talking about reactions people have to dealing with death is futile. There is (understandably) just too much emotion involved which is why i believe strongly that decisions should be made at a societal level.

I will use myself as an example. I think about this stuff a lot and have what I think is a pretty strong framework for how end of life care should be managed but have (luckily) not had to deal with this sort of thing yet, although I know I will at some point. But I am under no illusions that the choices will be simple or clear when the time comes. Human beings are just not wired that way. As a whole we are totally illogical and go out of our way to prove this day in and day out.

I think the general thesis to focus on quality vs quantity is a good start. The problem is that quality is too subjective and any effort to quantify it is murky at best and is sure to be met with dissent.

And around and around we go...

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone bring the coke, I'll get the Michael Bolton and John Tesh greatest hits cued up.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Even the Sky Wizard King, a.k.a. the Pope, has ruled heroic measures are not required. It's pretty simple if you ask me.

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You don't have the balls to post more nip pics.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Am highly disconcerted yet ambivalent about that last post.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads