• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This economist believes the incremental cost on kids is small but each additional kid is accretive to happiness.
Maybe that book is his side hustle so he can afford more kids. The incremental cost would be much lower for us if we lived in a house which can accommodate a larger family (to the standards my wife would want), sent our kids to public schools and had a stay at home parent. None of those things are true for my family - well except possibly the house thing. She is open to trying to have the kids share a room.

Numbernine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got 3 only because 2 came at one time. The oldest, by 7 years, still thinks she's an only child.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Good luck with all that. Seriously, hope it works out for you. Certain relationship topics are almost impossible to navigate without obtaining at least one scar and this would be one of them.

double00

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last week my oncol told me we should have more kids (assuming of course that my sperm are alive which is not a given) i told wifey but is water under bridge at this point. Good luck with it all

Last edited:

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thats part of the risk of “1 more”. You can’t guarantee that. We went for 1 more and like @Numbernine , we had twins. I’m snipped now. If we want another, we’ll adopt.

Texasmade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mrs. UnF wants another baby. We have a great pair of kids and a perfect family and she thinks a third will be accretive to long-term happiness (in particular more grandkids). I think she’s probably right but there are certainly risks not to mention the financial considerations given the lifestyle we have chosen - eg private schools, nanny, etc.

The thing is no matter what we do, I’ve already lost in the short to medium term. If we stand pat she’s bummed. If we move forward she has to go through pregnancy which is no walk in the park.

Here’s the kicker: she isn’t fully committed either. She wants my agreement for her to further explore what she really wants.

So yeah, this doesn’t augur well.
96FC1EE2-F903-4B2B-B85F-1FD526693372.png

brokencycle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can not recommend. Boarding school is $65,500 a year, post tax. It adds up.
Yikes. I wouldn't go that far to send a kid to boarding school, I think. A good private school around here is like $6k/yr.
Maybe that book is his side hustle so he can afford more kids. The incremental cost would be much lower for us if we lived in a house which can accommodate a larger family (to the standards my wife would want), sent our kids to public schools and had a stay at home parent. None of those things are true for my family - well except possibly the house thing. She is open to trying to have the kids share a room.
Yeah, take it with a grain of salt. He also argues that private school is generally a waste of money because genetics appears to be a far bigger factor, and twin/adoption studies show that those kinds of things matter far less than we think. The ones ranked highest are like $20k-30k/yr, though I wonder if that is more a prestige bias thing more than anything.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yikes. I wouldn't go that far to send a kid to boarding school, I think. A good private school around here is like $6k/yr.

Yeah, take it with a grain of salt. He also argues that private school is generally a waste of money because genetics appears to be a far bigger factor, and twin/adoption studies show that those kinds of things matter far less than we think. The ones ranked highest are like $20k-30k/yr, though I wonder if that is more a prestige bias thing more than anything.
Yeah, this is a YMMV situation. The public school we were assigned was far from average. It was one of the worst in our city (a 1/10 rating in Greatschools for those familiar). From what I understand, the better public schools receive additional funding from parents to the tune of ~$3k per student per year to pay for supplies and additional teachers which isnt far off from private schools in your town.

As for private schools here, I'm not aware of any that charge as little as $6k. While there may be some prestige bias or premium, and we didn't look at every school under the sun, based on what we did see all of the private schools in our broader area (excluding some parochial schools) charge top dollar and price wasn't much of distinguishing factor.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.