• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, if you are the type of parent who would jump through a bunch of stupid hoops to get your kid into a preschool, odds are you are the type of parent who would do a good job raising them either way.

It's not like they are doing a lot of randomized controlled trials where they send kids with good parents to ****** schools and vice versa.

brokencycle

Reaction score
I feel like I post this at around the same time every year.
High today 85F
High Thursday 40F
Wtf?

It is vice versa for me, but that's because I'm in Park City, UT today and back to Raleigh which is just staying super warm and humid.

I don't want to go back. :(

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All of the research I have seen indicates genetics are the biggest factor for kids: that all of the special schools, extra cultural trips, etc etc don't make a big difference.
I admittedly haven't read the research but I am doubtful whether it would be hyper-relevant to our situation. Our alternatives are essentially (i) move somewhere with good public schools, (ii) take our changes with the public school system (more on this below), or (iii) look at private schools.

Public schools in SF are a mess in a number of ways. First there is a crazy system put into place for school selection. It originated with the entry of a consent decree to desegregate the schools (generally a good thing) but that more or less was responsible for creating a nightmare lottery for parents where your kid could end up almost anywhere in the city - and I believe there wasn't even a preference for siblings back then so you could have 3 kids spread out across the city taking municipal transit. It has since been modified a number of times to make it easier to get your kids into your neighborhood schools (among other things), but it's still far from a sure thing. We live close to a great school but someone we know of from our neighborhood didn't get in last year and actually went 0 for 15 in public school choices. So long story short, public school is a crapshoot.

The upshot is we are exploring all 3. We will submit an application for public schools and evaluate the one we get into. We will go through the soul-sucking private school process. We will also explore moving out of the city which unfortunately has some major financial consequences because, you know, real estate.

Long story long, it's all bad.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Facebook just recommended my cousin-in-law as a friend.. the thing is I don't have my cousin or other family as a friend.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm like 95% sure I got on the wrong bus, but I don't know how to confirm it without getting up or talking to someone... So I'm just going to keep riding.

If it is what I think it is, it goes to a similar place.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
It is that time of year again; the charity ball circuit. *le sigh* Only positive news is I've shed another few pounds and now my tux jacket fits perfectly.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is that time of year again; the charity ball circuit. *le sigh* Only positive news is I've shed another few pounds and now my tux jacket fits perfectly.
db4df58b8cb2a1fdd0517f540ade48a9--cg-rich-people.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads