1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Uni/form LA. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, UNI/FORM LA, a brand focused on improving the clothing you wear everyday. Their elevated essentials are handmade in LA and built for daily wear. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Numbernine

Numbernine Distinguished Member

Aside from a blatantly neglectful or abusive situation can it really matter what preschool your kids go to?

2. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Distinguished Member

Can't speak for everyone, but we didn't do any work for preschool. We didn't apply until a few weeks after the school year had started when it had become obvious our eldest really would benefit from socializing with more kids and so our nanny could give more attention to our youngest. When I say "apply" I mean that a couple of friends put us in touch with their preschool director (at the same school) and they made room for our kid.

I'm not sure how you define "matters" but I do think there are pretty big differences among preschools (at least the ones we have heard about in SF). Some are more old school teacher-driven and more discipline focused, and some are more progressive: meaning that they are driven by student inquiry and focus on social and emotional development. The preschool my kids go to is in the latter camp and we've been very happy with the results.

I think there are a lot of people who would have benefited from a greater focus on social and emotional development early on in education. Maybe our country wouldn't be as divided as it currently is if more people had the tools to deal well with others. I'm not talking about behavioral disorders or anything like that, but just run of the mill jerkosity which seems to run rampant.

3. brokencycle

brokencycle Stylish Dinosaur Moderator

All of the research I have seen indicates genetics are the biggest factor for kids: that all of the special schools, extra cultural trips, etc etc don't make a big difference. With that being said, I went from public elementary school to private in 3rd grade, and I feel it made a big difference in my life.

At the very least, my best friends from private school are still my best friends today. But it also really developed my love of math and science where I got to move at an accelerated pace. It took three years of math after switching back to public school to get to the same level I was at.

Overall I'm conflicted but remain interested as we look to having kids soon.

4. jcman311

jcman311 Distinguished Member

I feel like I post this at around the same time every year.
    High today 85F
    High Thursday 40F
    Wtf?

5. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

Yeah, if you are the type of parent who would jump through a bunch of stupid hoops to get your kid into a preschool, odds are you are the type of parent who would do a good job raising them either way.

It's not like they are doing a lot of randomized controlled trials where they send kids with good parents to shitty schools and vice versa.

6. brokencycle

It is vice versa for me, but that's because I'm in Park City, UT today and back to Raleigh which is just staying super warm and humid.

I don't want to go back. :(

7. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Distinguished Member

I admittedly haven't read the research but I am doubtful whether it would be hyper-relevant to our situation. Our alternatives are essentially (i) move somewhere with good public schools, (ii) take our changes with the public school system (more on this below), or (iii) look at private schools.

Public schools in SF are a mess in a number of ways. First there is a crazy system put into place for school selection. It originated with the entry of a consent decree to desegregate the schools (generally a good thing) but that more or less was responsible for creating a nightmare lottery for parents where your kid could end up almost anywhere in the city - and I believe there wasn't even a preference for siblings back then so you could have 3 kids spread out across the city taking municipal transit. It has since been modified a number of times to make it easier to get your kids into your neighborhood schools (among other things), but it's still far from a sure thing. We live close to a great school but someone we know of from our neighborhood didn't get in last year and actually went 0 for 15 in public school choices. So long story short, public school is a crapshoot.

The upshot is we are exploring all 3. We will submit an application for public schools and evaluate the one we get into. We will go through the soul-sucking private school process. We will also explore moving out of the city which unfortunately has some major financial consequences because, you know, real estate.

Long story long, it's all bad.

8. brokencycle

Facebook just recommended my cousin-in-law as a friend.. the thing is I don't have my cousin or other family as a friend.

9. beargonefishing

beargonefishing Distinguished Member

10. Numbernine

Numbernine Distinguished Member

11. beargonefishing

beargonefishing Distinguished Member

12. brokencycle

I have never lived anywhere with such unreliable power.

13. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

I'm like 95% sure I got on the wrong bus, but I don't know how to confirm it without getting up or talking to someone... So I'm just going to keep riding.

If it is what I think it is, it goes to a similar place.

14. SixOhNine

SixOhNine Distinguished Member

That's what you get for living in Raleigh.

Shoulda just stayed in Park City...

15. brokencycle

I wish.