• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Not really pissing me off but a bit tiresome (admittedly, in context, a good problem to have but still):
My organization is in the late stages of a merger/spin-off thingamjig. (Sorry for the lawyer jargon.) At the end of the process folks who work here will end up with Company A, Company B, or . . . neither. We're at the point where the senior spots in the fpost-transaction org charts are just starting to be filled in, with all the jostling, politicking, strategery, and polite elbow-throwing you'd expect. I've been unofficially told my name's been floated for positions (one at specifically identified, one not) at both companies. (Again, nice problem to have.) At least one of those conversations felt like an attempt to get me committed to potential position A before an offer for potential position B is fleshed out (assuming for the sake of discussion it ever will be). So I'm now in that position of trying to be positive and responsive enough to keep the momentum alive and ensure I stay the leading candidate while also trying to keep the train from getting so far down that track that I have to fish or cut bait before I really know what my opportunity costs will be. At the end of the day it's all going to work out fine, but it may shock some of you to know I'm not the most patient person in the world, and I'd rather know what the next chapter will look like and get on with it than doing the juggling several potential outcomes thing - especially when at least one of the balls I'm juggling is basically invisible.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Still amazing that after 17 years, and right after the Sept 11 anniversary when presumably air security is elevated in the collective consciousness...that people STILL have no ******* clue about what needs to be done in airport security.

Woman strolls right up to the screening counter, unzips her luggage, and roots around for her makeup bag. Pulls that out and proceeds to individually take items out of it and into a plastic bag.

I really don’t for confrontation, but in this case I remarked that this is really the kind of thing that ought to be done before you get up to the counter. Of course, she completely ignored me like I couldn’t be possibly talking to her.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Be on the lookout for the shipping address being changed en route.

This happened. I tried a couple times to feign ignorance to UPS and the awards company in the hopes of getting a new pair or something but it didn't work.

I never wanted those headphones until someone else ordered them under my name!

i do remember that during high school (where note pads are required), i used to have great fun drawing extremely anatomically correct dicks on unattended notepads. that's one great purpose for them, i guess.

You should post your skills here on SF.

Hell, I don't get the water thing.

The storm hasn't hit yet. Your tap still works. Sure, maybe bottled water is convenient, but not if you have to line up before store opening and fight people for it.

Bottled water only needs to be a big thing if a disaster has struck and you can no longer trust the quality or functionality of the municipal water system (or wells).

Because there's morons who only drink bottled water.

Woman strolls right up to the screening counter, unzips her

I was very excited until I saw

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m prepping for this damned hurricane in the hopes that I will singlehandedly make it miss.

The lines are nuts, though. Huge propane line at Costco. I was told they had lines around the store for water and sold out within 30 minutes of opening. All the white bread was gone, too. (What do people have against multi-grain?) Tons of people buying generators at Lowe’s. Surprisingly quiet at the liquor store.

The generator thing I don’t get. Unless you live in the sticks or have something essential to run like a sump pump or septic pump, it seems like overkill. I’ve survived a week-long power outage just fine. Maybe someone can explain it to me.

I’ve got water, whiskey, candles, and Nutella. I only hope my Field Notes come in time. I don’t know how I’ll survive without them.

If I owned a home, I would totally get a generator. Losing power for up to a week in winter is not fun. The size of generator is debatable. I'm spoiled so would totally go for a [admitedly overkill] unit that can operate on standby. But at the minimum I'd want something that can run heat, a TV, laptop, chargers, fans, and lights - which I believe you can get for under $1500. I would of course have a gas stove so would be good for cooking.

brokencycle

Reaction score
If I owned a home, I would totally get a generator. Losing power for up to a week in winter is not fun. The size of generator is debatable. I'm spoiled so would totally go for a [admitedly overkill] unit that can operate on standby. But at the minimum I'd want something that can run heat, a TV, laptop, chargers, fans, and lights - which I believe you can get for under $1500. I would of course have a gas stove so would be good for cooking.

I think you get what you pay for with generators. You can get something that puts out enough power, but if its gas, you'll have to store a ton of gas (because around here gas is sold out). If you want something that has a large capacity tank, features like auto failover and neatly integrated into your house power, they get pricey. A neighbor had one priced out and it was ~$6000.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't tell you the last time I lost power at my actual home. Even more than like an hour without power, it has to be at least 10 years since that happened.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do 2-5 second outages count? That’s a weekly, sometimes daily occurrence in south Florida. I think it’s slowly killing my watch winder.

And $6k was what I was quoted for those auto-on style, whole house generators as well. I think they’re called Genpacts

Edit: Generacs!

Last edited:

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Santa Cruz has all above ground utilities AFAIK.We lose power from vehicles running into poles fairly regularly

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I'd go natural gas generator. No fuel to worry about either running out of or going bad. You also need to run at least monthly start up checks so you will have to fill the tank more than you might think, which for most people, the thought is "never" except for after an actual use. I'm still waiting on the tech to improve for battery and solar recharge.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I lost power for less than an hour. At least it gave me an excuse to break out the bottle of Scotch I was saving for the occasion.

Looks like my efforts to make Florence miss were successful. (Apologies to everyone southeast of here.)

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd go natural gas generator. No fuel to worry about either running out of or going bad. You also need to run at least monthly start up checks so you will have to fill the tank more than you might think, which for most people, the thought is "never" except for after an actual use. I'm still waiting on the tech to improve for battery and solar recharge.

Someone died starting a generator yesterday. This is the problem when you panic and get one at the last minute hoping to return it if you don’t need it. You don’t know how to use it.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't attempt plugging in extensions cords while outdoors and in the rain, while the generator is live

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone died starting a generator yesterday. This is the problem when you panic and get one at the last minute hoping to return it if you don’t need it. You don’t know how to use it.
How did it happen?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads