• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Halloween entitlement index is at an all time high.

Tonight was as good a barometer into modern parenting as I have ever seen. I'm a bowl-putter-forwarder, not an I-give-it-outerer. I had a big ass bowl of candy, and the first handful of beggars raised my eyebrow... I had a couple of backhoes rake the bowl, and quickly I calculated that I wouldn't get thru the night. So I switched to the "take one" strategy.

Didn't make much difference. I had a bunch of slight of hand sneakers, and outright "you're not the boss of me" takers. Worst case was a group of about 10 who decided to ring my doorbell and bang my door about 4 times in a 20 second span, and of the 10 about 4 took as they pleased.

Only a cuck would let the urchins take what they please. Those turds get what I give them and like it. Seriously though, why don't you just give out the candy?

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Only a cuck would let the urchins take what they please. Those turds get what I give them and like it. Seriously though, why don't you just give out the candy?

The wife is a believer in the multipack, so they got to choose. That's what started the spiral.

There's a curb your enthusiast episode in this.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can hand out candy a lot more quickly than the kids can line up and take it for themselves. So it's a win for everyone, except maybe them.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can hand out candy a lot more quickly than the kids can line up and take it for themselves. So it's a win for everyone, except maybe them.
That's what I'm saying. Though to be fair I give out a lot of candy, 3-4 pieces per kid. Saves me the hassle of wanting to teach other peoples kids a lesson. ******* though, next year I'm giving out dental floss and a harshly worded essay about the tragedy of the commons.

brokencycle

Reaction score
That's what I'm saying. Though to be fair I give out a lot of candy, 3-4 pieces per kid. Saves me the hassle of wanting to teach other peoples kids a lesson. ******* though, next year I'm giving out dental floss and a harshly worded essay about the tragedy of the commons.

Include a lecture about moral hazard too.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes of course, but I have 11 years at this address, there's a marked difference in the brazenness from before.

I used to get the 'can I have 3 question' and occasional gamesman but this is new territory.

Next year the bowl goes outside at the front door and they can fight for it like lions on a carcass.

Are they more brazen or are you just older

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
******* though, next year I'm giving out dental floss and a harshly worded essay about the tragedy of the commons.
Ironically, the wife bought a bunch of non-candy items this year and they were more popular than the candy. Probably has to do with the age of kids coming around though. Mostly a younger crowd.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are they more brazen or are you just older

90% the kids and 10% me being more cranky and noticing it. It's what you get when you let a device parent your kid, I notice the lack of respect everywhere.

I told about 80 or 100 kids "take 1" and about 30% of them double dipped on me, the more brazen ones just went for the fist full.

I get a flood of kids in my neighborhood, so I'm not dropping no $50 on candy.

Last edited:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last year all I had left was Mr Goodbar because no one wanted that ****.

This year everyone was like “omg they have Mr Goodbar I love this!!”

Wtf?!?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mr Goodbar is the best of the bad little mixed bag hershey bars...

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had to encourage kids to take more than one piece. The little ones in particular were super shy this year. Still have half our candy left over.

Trick-or-treating seems different than I remember it. I didn't get any for a long time because I lived in an apartment, but now I'm out in suburbia and we barely get any kids. Way fewer than even live in the neighborhood. Apparently large numbers of them load up in cars and go into the denser "rich" parts of town. Like, you can't walk 20 yards between houses?

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
those rich parts of town are often safer parts of town. we took our little guy out with another family so we met at one of those spots. people in cars were being a little unreasonable tho.

brokencycle

Reaction score
We gave kids a handful. When we held out the bowl, they took one or maybe two pieces or even asked how many.

First year I have handed out candy though as an adult.

As an aside, kids are doing better at the marshmellow test: https://osf.io/jghdm/

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
those rich parts of town are often safer parts of town. we took our little guy out with another family so we met at one of those spots. people in cars were being a little unreasonable tho.

Yeah I don't think that's the issue here. They're all safe suburban areas. The "rich" area is the 700k townhouses instead of older 400-500k single family houses.

Halloween used to be a neighborhood thing, at least where I grew up in the 'burbs. The idea of driving to another area of town just didn't register. It was a holiday you shared with your neighbors, not some exercise in min/maxing candy intake.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads