1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Bergdorf Goodwill

Bergdorf Goodwill Well-Known Member

4:30 AM phonecalls from hot but insane but hot girl all "Did I ever tell you I had borderline personality disorder?"

"I think I crossed the borderline."

Mumble mumble mumble what?

"I am laying sideways so they can fit in the bed with me."

Fuuuuuuck.

2. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Well-Known Member

Does she spoon with the other personalities?

3. Bergdorf Goodwill

Bergdorf Goodwill Well-Known Member

Does she spoon with the other personalities?

YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES.

4. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

Perhaps it is some sort of medical condition.
    I doubt it--I suspect it's from bad posture as I've seen numerous other people walk like that.

5. Man In Space

Man In Space Well-Known Member

The fact that Arrested Development got canceled (due to poor ratings), but enough people watch According to Jim to keep it on the air.

+1,000,000,000

6. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Well-Known Member

+1,000,000,000

Whats according to Jim?

7. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

My roommate just walked in with two of his sorority "gurlz" (yes, he spells it that way), sporting a sweatshirt with their letters. It looks like it was made for a 9-year old boy, judging by the fit.

They then talked about all the cute boys, he packed his cologne and other homo essentials, and departed for a night at the sorority house.

I live with a woman.

8. Britalian

Britalian Well-Known Member

It hit me today: walking , or trying to, through city streets and 'having' to step around/avoid/dodge the fake leather handbag and belt wares that the (always) immigrants are trying to flog. Laid out on the pavement, reaching halfway across, they expect everyone to dutifully avoid their illegal merchandise? It seems so. The shopping crowds are bad enough as it is; the last thing I need is another slice of the pavement/sidewalk taken up with fake Gucci crap. But the thing is: I don't object to them trying to make a living selling it; just do it more discreetly, less intrusively. The illegal element doesn't seem to matter much anyway as the police cruise by with full knowledge they are there. Maybe if the high rent shops in front of which they sell the stuff withheld their rents the police would do something about it.
    Rant Over and out.

9. Trenditional

Trenditional Well-Known Member

-Fox cancelling my fave shows half way into season....first it was "Reunion" last year, now "Justice"

-the fact that fuckin baseball season is about to start, which means I have to check the fuckin dodgers schedule on weekends so I know which days to NOT go to Phillipe's for my fuckin french dip

-the new spring Fred Perry spring line was launched a few days ago, I log in and see an awesome buttondown I want, go to order it, and the fuckin thing is sold out already in my size after being available online for like 2 days....WTF???!!!!

-I'm sure there's more...I'm always full of some kinda hate.

Its hard to pass up their french dips! Some good stuff there, with a bit of mustard and a bowl of chili.

10. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

Whats according to Jim?

Jim Belushi's nail on the coffin that is the Belushi name

11. DeSica

DeSica Well-Known Member

Jim Belushi's nail on the coffin that is the Belushi name

[​IMG]

You just saved me having to explain a cheesy sitcom, and in the most fitting way imagineable.

He was good in Michael Mann's Thief (one of the greatest American films ever made), and then it was all downhill from there.

12. tiecollector

tiecollector Well-Known Member

When people have foreign names and expect you to pronounce it with a foreign accent.

13. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Well-Known Member

When people have foreign names and expect you to pronounce it with a foreign accent.
    Agreed. It really breaks the flow of a sentence to radically change pronunciation.

14. tiecollector

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  15. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Well-Known Member

*snicker* Wait, tie collector, how were you pronouncing "chipotle"? *snicker*

There's a difference between adopting an accent to pronounce a word and simply using the closest approximation in the language you're speaking. The guy correcting you was probably just trying to keep you from sounding like a rube.

[Unless he was insisting that you adopt an accent when you say the word, in which case I agree, that's lame]

16. tiecollector

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  17. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Well-Known Member

No, I approximate pronunciation as closely as the English language will allow without sounding awkward. Accents in the correct places, etc. I also speak Spanish, which makes it even more annoying.
    Una vez construi un ordenador de arena utilizando ramitas y trozos de cuerda

18. briancl

briancl Well-Known Member

Actually, it gets even more obnoxious with Spanish speakers describing food or booze. The other day I was talking to another co-worker and the conversation went like this:

Me: I'm getting food at Chipotle.

background spanish speaker: chee-POT-lay

co-worker: cool, lemme give you some cash.

me: Do you know what time Chipotle closes?

co-worker: I dunno, I'm sure it's still open.
    pronounciation
    me: alright, Chipotle it is:

Then there is always listening to Giada De Laurentiis on Food Network to get the same effect in Italian.

Some people pronounce Chipotle: chih-pol-tay, which sounds very wrong to my ears. I find nothing wrong with pronouncing it chih-pote-lay, though.. which is roughly how I say it.

19. tiecollector

Some people pronounce Chipotle: chih-pol-tay, which sounds very wrong to my ears. I find nothing wrong with pronouncing it chih-pote-lay, though.. which is roughly how I say it.

There is a soda cup they have which lists the most frequently used mispronunciations on the side. There are ones I hadn't thought of.

20. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

You just saved me having to explain a cheesy sitcom, and in the most fitting way imagineable.

He was good in Michael Mann's Thief (one of the greatest American films ever made), and then it was all downhill from there.

Jim Belushi got me at "Curly Sue" [​IMG]