1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. otc

otc Senior member

Well fuck. Wikia bought Huddler and decided to shut them down. All of the huddler sites either have to migrate or give up.

Notably...EpicSki is throwing in the towel and will be gone for good in a couple of days: http://www.epicski.com/t/150694/rip-epicski-1999-2017

Fucking sucks...I was never an active poster there (not even sure I had an account), but it was basically the site I ended up on every time I googled something about skiing. Threads on how to epoxy delaminating skis back together, guides to various mountains, etc.

Based on some posts in that thread, they have been communicating with other Huddler forums (probably including SF) and determined that it was just not worth it to migrate. Saying things like it taking 2 months of a full time programmer working...or that consultants who have done huddler migrations in the past (for forums that left huddler earlier) simply refuse to do it because it was so much work.

So I guess...fuck Wikia? Letting all of that data get destroyed? Almost two decades of posts for EpicSki are going to completely vanish from the world. And this is a company founded by Jimmy Wales? So much for sharing knowledge.

edit: the owners of EpicSki were bought out by Vail a while back I guess...and the owners seem unwilling to deal with a migration (or let anyone else have the data).

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017 at 9:24 AM
  2. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

too much money.

hosts were moving on.

it had to be done.

and the admin are trying their best to not lose faith.

Fok has been in the thrift thread answering posts frequently. and things have improved.

still a long way to go. but i believe it will be worked out. as painful as the transition is.

3. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Fok needs to keep a FAQ thread pinned at the top of everyone's 'watched threads', otherwise the same stuff will keep coming up in each disparate SF group

4. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

I ask him for this and he basically said he couldn't do it. Maybe if more press him he can attach a thread to those all site announcements?

5. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

super hard. and if he made a thread, he would have to answer a week's worth of questions.

unless each member posted their questions with his answer as a combo.
    as in "post questions answerd by Fok"

don't get me wrong. i hate the functionality too. said so.
    but i understand it can't be done. unless an admin is permanently in the site topics thread. each on shift.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017 at 10:31 AM