1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I was just about to post something similar to this, but yeah.

2. yorkshire pud

yorkshire pud Senior member

They take up half the fucking car park in UK supermarkets with disabled and parent and child spots, mostly because our stupid government throw money and free cars at anyone who shits out a kid or pretends to be disabled.

Genuine disabled people fair enough but at least 75% are faking or "nominated drivers" taking the piss.

Ridiculous

3. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

You could get yours delivered?

1 person likes this.
  4. yorkshire pud

I do, but you always miss something or run out of milk, then you have run the gauntlet of snotty kids/fake handicap people/scrounging chavs :(

5. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

If it makes you feel better, I know on good authority (is that how that term is used?) that many of those people have painful conditions, like arthritis, which do not necessarily manifest themselves visually to onlookers but are exacerbated by activity. There are other conditions that are truly catastrophic, like a diabetic condition where there is an absence of pain which results in stress fractures and the person suffering from that cannot walk long distances.

6. DeSense

DeSense Senior member

Here (Seoul) they have parking places for women (period). Wider than normal on top (lol). But nobody (men folk) cares.

7. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

fwiw my dad's parkinson's has limited his mobility (plus he's also had a lot of physical laziness causing atrophy but i digress) and now has a handicappers tag.

8. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

I now have a ponytail. My biggest life aspiration is accomplished. I literally don't know what to do with my life anymore. Guess its time to die.

9. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

You mean they're allowed to park there one week per month?

2 people like this.
  10. yorkshire pud

That's Fair enough, in the UK these disabled spots are being used by weed smoking mid twenties scumbags collecting crates of beer and lottery tickets, using grandmas free motability vehicle!!!

There are genuine cases obviously, but the scumbags are taking benefits they are not entitled to and money out of the pockets of real disabled people.

It's a fucking disgrace and if there is a god (which I doubt) I hope they burn in hell forever or die a painful death at the very least

I've kept this one mild so as not to cause any offence :(

11. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Wow, we now live in a world where you have to look "disabled/handicapped" to be disabled/handicapped. Sickening.

12. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

In fairness, I know someone who has one and is not in the least bit disabled.

13. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

14. yorkshire pud

No, what we are upset about is people ripping off genuine disabled people by scamming badges or using elderly relatives registered vehicles to go about their able bodied business.

I don't consider self inflicted illness a disability either, giving them a badge just encourages them to stay ill

15. MrG

MrG Senior member

One alternative to handicapped tag fraud is to just stop using the government to force private property owners to have special spots in the first place.

I'll be honest and admit that I've never really seen the point of handicapped parking in most, maybe almost all, places in the first place. You can walk/roll around the mall, but you can't cover an extra 50 feet in the parking lot?

I get things like ramps, because that's an accessibility issue (wheelchairs can't go up stairs), but parking seems very much to me like a convenience issue. I'm not convinced I want the government mandating convenience.

16. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I believe most handicapped spaces are wider, so that handicapped people can actually get in and out of their vehicles.

It's always baffled me how fixated some people are on parking as close as possible to the store. An extra 30 seconds of walking is really a burden? I can't process scamming the system, much less getting into a fight, to trivially decrease your walking time.

1 person likes this.
  17. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

I routinely drive an extra level in a parking garage just so I can park away from everyone else, if possible. The extra walk is just a bonus, as far as I'm concerned.

My wife thinks this is dumb behavior and emotionally abuses me for doing it.

1 person likes this.
  18. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

Technically the stalls themselves are narrower than normal stalls. They have that buffer area so it makes the area wider.

19. jet

jet Senior member

Funny how worked up people get over this.

20. MrG

MrG Senior member

They do typically have the zebra striped buffer between cars, but I still think that's a question of convenience.

This is my opinion, too. I generally don't even bother trying to find a spot up close. Whatever is available is fine with me. I've never understood why people are willing to give up their time to save a few steps.