• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think that if you aren't that guy from day 1 then people will judge you negatively for the change.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We don't really have a business causal requirement. You just can't look like a slob, and some people push that too. People of a certain level here wear suits, they don't have to, but they do. I do too.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

We have the type of environment that eschews Big Corporate because everyone here pretty much "fled" that environment, including myself.

Uh oh. From experience, people in that environment are pretty much insufferable

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Being "That Guy" can make you less likely to be included on valuable projects, less likely to get promoted, etc. Being visibly at odds with the work culture is rarely a good thing.

This. It's one thing to have quirks, but, aside from very limited circumstances, being "that guy" comes with a tremendous amount of risk.

I think that if you aren't that guy from day 1 then people will judge you negatively for the change. 

Also true.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love my new job and environment.

I finally feel like my work matters and directly contributes to our company's bottom line and the culture is fantastic. Hours are amazing and I'm getting paid more to do less work compared to my old gig.

And it's not like we go around ******** on Big Corporate for small talk and lunch. It's just that we all share a common "yeah I came from big corporate and I like this culture so much more" mentality.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Glad you like your new job, GF. Sounds like there's a strong esprit de corps based on washing out from the big leagues at the new place?

;)

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
these professional dog walkers who take up to 10 dogs to a park. sometimes they meet up with other dog walkers and its a clusterfuck of 30 dogs just abusing the park and making it ****** for everyone else.

also these ******* "left a child/dog" in the car and died/almost died of heatstroke stories are just horrible. its so tragic and at the same time these news outlets are profiting from the "horror/outrage Appreciation" that comes out of it.

i've made the mistake of going to the comments section and its just moms clawing at each other's eyeballs within the 1st post (especially if one honest mom would admit leaving a kid in a car to pay for gas or something).

Last edited:

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You cannot ever leave a child in a car under any circumstances even if you are in the act of driving the car. The child will perish if you do that. I always call Child Protective Services when I see a child in a car.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I love my new job and environment.

I finally feel like my work matters and directly contributes to our company's bottom line and the culture is fantastic. Hours are amazing and I'm getting paid more to do less work compared to my old gig.

And it's not like we go around ******** on Big Corporate for small talk and lunch. It's just that we all share a common "yeah I came from big corporate and I like this culture so much more" mentality.

I literally would not take a job that I couldn't wear a suit to.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Something tells me you've been "that guy" since day one, pB. You prove the rule.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am "that guy" (guy what wears an suit) at my workplace, and I generally receive positive feedback for it. But I think the culture of an academic department is a lot different from the culture at GF's workplace, to where I would probably hesitate to be "that guy" if I were GF too.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've certainly been some sort of character throughout my life. That character has evolved rather gracefully. If my projections are correct I will be a full blown Archie Bunker by the time I am 30.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have a dental bill coming up that is going to take a really big chunk out of of my savings on account of my insurance isn't paying for it.

Update on this post: turns out the bill is not coming up as soon as I thought and also it might not be as bad as I thought. I had a knot in my stomach for a couple of days about this. It felt like I was in a landslide to where so much of my hard work of saving money was coming undone all at once.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics