1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Person #2 was probably confused what 'stuffstuffstuff' was.

2. MrG

MrG Senior member

I'm pretty sure I've posted about this before, but fuck Ticketmaster. Hard. I'm not capable of expressing just how much contempt I harbor for that shitbag company.

I'm about to pay $65 for two $26 tickets to a show. Every event I go to that requires I use them comes with a 25% mark-up. It's disgusting.

I don't understand how they've been so successful at avoiding/surviving antitrust claims, but it's ridiculous.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
    3 people like this.
  3. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

4. double00

double00 Senior member

i can't ever remember suffering from seasonal allergies before but it's been super windy and pollen-y lately and my sleep is suffering badly. i'm having these insane lurid dreams in between waking up every 3 hours. this morning i dreamt a re-imagined version of Top Gun as a straight-up homoerotic suspense/thriller (i don't remember Tom Skerritt tho). it was frankly riveting but i need my rest.

5. MrG

MrG Senior member

This was the big one (and I remember as a teenager thinking it was so cool they at least tried), but there have been others.

1 person likes this.
  6. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I once sent a pissy email to a venue here in LA telling them to go fuck themselves, that I was passing on buying a ticket to one of their shows and would boycott shows at their venue in the future, etc. after a similar deal -- I don't remember the details, but it was something like $16 in "service charges" per $23 ticket through whichever ticket agency they gave the business to.

I was simultaneously proud and a bit embarrassed when a very nice customer service person from the venue wrote a personal response to my email where she ignored my impolite tone and offered to sell me a couple of their "house tickets" at face value.

7. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

I was once standing in the lobby of the Fillmore in San Francisco and this guy was yelling and making a fuss about the ticket prices. Bill Graham came over grabbed him by the seat of his pants and the back of his hair, marched him out the door and threw him into the side of a car passing down the street . Days of peace and love and $1.50 Rock and roll

1 person likes this.
  8. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Drivers sometimes do this act they are coming up to a stop sign but they are going hell of fast and then hit the brakes hard stop at the last second before Kareeming in to the street. Here's the thing the driver knows that he's going to stop in time but i (who am driving on dat cross street) do not know that get worryment to me. I think those drivers are just not good at putting themselves in others' shoes by using their faculty of imagination.

9. MrG

MrG Senior member

Ha. That's pretty awesome. Maybe I should give it a go with the place here.

I actually considered just going to the box office to get them so I could save the fees, but, on top of being a haul from the burbs, the venue box office is only open from 12-4 Monday-Friday.

10. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I find that this tactic is more effective with pedestrians crossing the street. It's gentle, positive encouragement that they should not dawdle and make every effort to get the fuck out of my way

11. venividivicibj

Trying to buy some Dodger tickets today on VividSeats and StubHub - tickets are about 30$ each on both sites, but with fees they end up being $40 each. 33% price increase purely based on fees due to 'validation/premium ticket charges' and 'immediate download fee' etc.

12. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Which venue? I might could buy and will call them for you.

13. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

14. MrG

MrG Senior member

Also outrageous. I guess there's some rationale to it, since they're a resellers, and thus make money only from the transaction. Still, that doesn't make it any less frustrating.

That would be most excellent of you, Ed. The show is at Buckhead Theatre, so I don't know if that would work for you, but let me know.

15. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

^Most of those fees are total bullshit. I've seen "immediately download fee" (dose electrons be 'spensive, brah) but then an even higher fee to have a physical ticket mailed. Or when there's no physical ticket alternative at all.

And of course there's a rationalization, dummy!

[​IMG]

The really absurd thing from my perspective is that they either don't know or don't care how insulting that pricing model is. Just charge me $40 for the damn tickets. If I want to see the show or game I won't blink at it. But add $19 in fees to what you're calling a $21 ticket and you've pissed me off enough that I might pass on buying it out of scorn.

16. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

I work sort-of in Buckhead, I might be able to swing by next week.

Today's labor:

• What was the name of my hot, 20-something geometry teacher?
    • Remember her name.
    • Facebook her.
    • She still hot!
    • SHE NO LONGER MARRIED!!!!
    • She a mormon.

Dammit.

17. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Yeah, without alcohol, your shot with her is zero. Pics for science though?

18. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Hey Ed, could you buy me some stuff too? Like dees...

19. venividivicibj

The really absurd thing is that they are charging fees to both sides as well, not just the purchaser. Theyre double-dipping on each transaction.

1 person likes this.
  20. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Interestingly they likely do it because they figure you're already committed to the transaction at that point, so you'll bitch about the fees but still pay it.
    Often times businesses like this "subsidize" one side of the transaction. Travel websites charge the airlines and hotels, Microsoft gives tons of resources to software developers, etc. These websites for secondary market tickets are interesting. I think long term they will have to change their models to be successful.