• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thx bros
I think the key phrase in his posy was "minimum billable hours.". They aren't even doing the minimum.

But then went on to say that pay would be adjusted accordingly so he's getting exactly what he's paying them... unless his adjustments aren't good enough. 200 sounds like a nicely arbitrary number too.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What is their billable rate?

FWIW, we don't specify minimums for our analysts (although...people will notice if it is really low) and we are never really lacking for manpower when something is needed on nights and weekends...the trick is that we let them keep a bit of those billables (in the form of overtime pay). Sure, some people don't take the bait and just clock out every day, but they then receive significantly less compensation and so it isn't like they are dead weight. For plenty of other young folks though, that extra cash in the next paycheck is a strong incentive. Much stronger than the nebulous promise of an arbitrary increase in a future bonus (that they could get fucked out of if the firms business slows down next month and they can't get enough work to fill the day). And if they have only been there for a year or two, they really have no idea how variable their bonus might be and they won't have a handle on how much of it is related to straight billable hours vs personal performance vs firm performance.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here are two facts about me: (1) I am the kind of person who is prone to weepiness at sad songs or movies or at happy times such as wedding and whatnot; and (2) I really, really hate being weepy in front of other human beings. (I failed at that just once, when my father died; my brother mocked me for it.)

I bring this up because I sometimes hear that damned Passenger song when I'm in a public zone and must needs take care to keep my feelings concealed from man.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
at weddings, is it "I swear" or "butterfly kisses" that gets to you more?

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

at weddings, is it "I swear" or "butterfly kisses" that gets to you more?

Okay so basically I had to look both of those up on the youtube website never heard them before. I'm not gonna lie, I didn't enjoy either of those numbers at all.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand how I'm supposed to muster the motivation to work hard when Christmas (break) is right around the corner!

what? I had you pegged for a company man. Looks like that promotion, bonus and raise need to be rethought.

I went to each of the associates who were short of their minimum billables for the year. I explained that there was more than enough work to meet their minimum billables. The fact that they haven't gives grave concerns about their commitment. I also noted that bonuses and raises were not automatic and all compensation would be adjusted accordingly.

I am putting in my 200 plus hours billable, plus social commitments to our clients and my administrative work. The least they can do I make themselves marginally worth the money I pay them.

200 hours, pretty sure I get up that high most years.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I think I hate living in a major city (in before "Atlanta isn't a major city!"). I'd lived here before, but I was younger and stayed mostly in the outlying 'burbs (it was also 20 years ago, so the city was a lot different). My entire life, I've either been in a suburban area or a smaller city. This is the first time I've lived in/around a major metropolis where I have to deal with the city every day, and it's miserable. The traffic is horrendous, the people are assholes, and the noise is just constant.

I've been down on it off and on recently, but I thought maybe that was just because I was adjusting to a pretty big transition. However, being away for the holiday crystallized it for me.

I have no idea what this means for me long term. I'm not exactly itching to make another transition, and I like my job (though it may actually facilitate a move in the medium term, since it's very much intended to be a stepping-stone position). Still, I don't imagine this will be the place I spend the rest of my life and raise my children. I just don't think I have the personality to be an urbanite.

good luck with whatever you choose to do, M. living where edina also lives in must really suck.

So glad I took 4 days off for Thanksgiving because this is by far the shittiest week of work in my life. ****** by schedule, though, not really ****** work. Add to that my greenfrogs grandfather passed away this morning and it's just.... Feck.

But I did get offered a promotion today!

damn, that sucks (gf's grand dad and your promotion)

++++

and count me in for Team L'Inc

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been more and more conscious of soft skills lately because I've noticed that a lot of my students are really lacking them. (For example, I often make appointments to meet with students outside my office hours. I'm not exaggerating when I say that they show up about 30% of the time. They usually don't have the courtesy to give me a heads up.) I doubt that I can be of much help, but nonetheless I am going to ry to find a way to convey to students the importance of those sorts of skills.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You can start fining them like David Stern

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Actually, I don't think I'm allowed to issue fines (not a "commissioner").

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

I've been more and more conscious of soft skills lately because I've noticed that a lot of my students are really lacking them. (For example, I often make appointments to meet with students outside my office hours. I'm not exaggerating when I say that they show up about 30% of the time. They usually don't have the courtesy to give me a heads up.) I doubt that I can be of much help, but nonetheless I am going to ry to find a way to convey to students the importance of those sorts of skills.

You can go to your department head and attempt to develop a "job skills" class. I hear these classes are in high need and teach valuable skills like showing up for work on time, being appropriately dressed for work, not telling your boss to, "**** off" and other similar things, etc. Advance placement entails things like using a punch clock, answering the phone politely, and graduate level job skills classes can include realizing you are a peon and acting accordingly.

Last edited:

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How do you teach showing up on time without physical punishment? I've always been punctual but I learned to fear being late in the military.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hmm, I didn't consider the double edge of it. I guess it doesn't really matter then, no?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads