• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I leave for a few days, and now I feel like I'm having a stroke. IT'S PISSING ME OFF!

(Pretty meta, huh?)

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get a new car battery a while back. Car runs fine for a week and then the battery starts dying. Get a new alternator. Car runs fine for a few weeks and then the battery died today. Got a jump and drove to work; died again. Wait for public safety to come and give me a jump. Panel lights start flickering for no reason and then car starts.

Got home. Car dies again. Then lights start flickering later. Attempt to lock car doors results in constant chirping (like the car is trying to lock the doors but just can't muster the strength). Had to disconnect the battery manually to stop the chirping.

Obviously some sort of damn wiring problem. Pain **********.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
nothing ruins a sunday like having cigarette and beer at 10 in the morning on an empty stomach.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had to micturate but then I realized I hadn't turned on the toilet since I'd gotten home. Not the worst thing in the world just had to wait for it to turn on hehehe. Still, should have thought ahead.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Wow. Blows my mind. Friend of mine got married at the Botanical Gardens there and it was awesome, but she was smart enough to do it the week before football. Doing it on a gameday weekend is just incomprehensible for anybody that lived there. Grade A dumbass/bridezilla alert. I guess best case scenario *********** around on the scheduling and only gamedays were left.

Also anybody who is traveling into town and staying in a hotel is going to have to pay 3x more for a room.

To follow up on this: At the wedding, one of the other guests (a friend) mentioned that she'd said something along the lines of "I'm surprised you decided to have the wedding on a home-game weekend" to the bride, who responded with, "you know I don't pay attention to that stuff."

:facepalm:

It's great and all if the bride doesn't like football, but not having major events in town on a home-game weekend is Life in a College Town 101. You always check the schedule.

After I got over my annoyance with having to deal with getting there, I had the same thought you did about hotel rooms for people staying the weekend. They'd be hard to find on game day, and there's going to be an enormous premium over pretty much every other weekend this month.

Oh, and this wasn't because of procrastination of a scheduling conflict. They had the venue booked well ahead of time. This was just the weekend they chose, for whatever reason.

Last edited:

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To follow up on this: At the wedding, one of the other guests (a friend) mentioned that she'd said something along the lines of "I'm surprised you decided to have the wedding on a home-game weekend" to the bride, who responded with, "you know I don't pay attention to that stuff."

:facepalm:

It's great and all if the bride doesn't like football, but not having major events in town on a home-game weekend is Life in a College Town 101. You always check the schedule.

After I got over my annoyance with having to deal with getting there, I had the same thought you did about hotel rooms for people staying the weekend. They'd be hard to find on game day, and there's going to be an enormous premium over pretty much every other weekend this month.

Oh, and this wasn't because of procrastination of a scheduling conflict. They had the venue booked well ahead of time. This was just the weekend they chose, for whatever reason.

I understand it is their big day and all, but FFS have a little respect and appreciation for your guests. There are a few weddings that still stick in my crawl because of this sort of nonchalance of the bride and groom.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Return their gift and get them a shittier one. "Sorry, we would have gotten you something better if our wedding budget wasn't taken up by these ridiculous room rates"

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I understand it is their big day and all, but FFS have a little respect and appreciation for your guests. There are a few weddings that still stick in my crawl because of this sort of nonchalance of the bride and groom.

Yup.

The more I've thought about it (and I had a lot of time to think about it while cussing game-day traffic on Saturday), the more I've started to wonder when it became normal for weddings to completely disregard the inconvenience factor for guests. I know the wedding is about the couple, but when I got married we at least took the time to consider how our plans would impact people who were attending. Recently, however, it seems that a lot of the weddings I've been attending are scheduled without a moment's consideration for the people who are invited. In just the last handful, there have been weddings on holiday weekends (on the Sunday no less), weekends of the year where it's profoundly inconvenient, and all manner of destination weddings. WTF? Exactly how far out of our way are we now expected to go for a ****** buffet and a beer/wine bar?

Return their gift and get them a shittier one. "Sorry, we would have gotten you something better if our wedding budget wasn't taken up by these ridiculous room rates"

I was actually in a wedding not too long ago where we never gave a gift. It was a black-tie destination wedding where children were forbidden from the festivities. My gift was all the coin we dropped going to that stupid event.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yup.

The more I've thought about it (and I had a lot of time to think about it while cussing game-day traffic on Saturday), the more I've started to wonder when it became normal for weddings to completely disregard the inconvenience factor for guests. I know the wedding is about the couple, but when I got married we at least took the time to consider how our plans would impact people who were attending. Recently, however, it seems that a lot of the weddings I've been attending are scheduled without a moment's consideration for the people who are invited. In just the last handful, there have been weddings on holiday weekends (on the Sunday no less), weekends of the year where it's profoundly inconvenient, and all manner of destination weddings. WTF? Exactly how far out of our way are we now expected to go for a ****** buffet and a beer/wine bar?

I find destination weddings to be extremely selfish. I was a groomsman in one, when I was a completely broke college student, and was told they'd put us up for the weekend. We found out when we got there they'd changed their minds. We were basically stuck in the armpit of nowhere. The groom was one of my best friends; we've barely spoken since.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yup.

I was actually in a wedding not too long ago where we never gave a gift. It was a black-tie destination wedding where children were forbidden from the festivities. My gift was all the coin we dropped going to that stupid event.

Unless it's a close family member (sibling) or a close friend, I don't see the need to go to every wedding I'm invited too. With some of these complaints listed here, I would relish the thought of skipping the wedding, sending my regrets and a $100 gift.

Last edited:

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I find destination weddings to be extremely selfish. I was a groomsman in one, when I was a completely broke college student, and was told they'd put us up for the weekend. We found out when we got there they'd changed their minds. We were basically stuck in the armpit of nowhere. The groom was one of my best friends; we've barely spoken since.

Agreed.

The no-gift wedding I mentioned earlier was a similar kind of deal, though not quite as severe as arriving to nowhere to stay. I felt obligated to go because I was in the wedding, but it kept snowballing into a bigger and more expensive hassle:

Friend: "MrG, I'd really like you to be in my wedding."

MrG: "Hell yeah, man. I'd be honored."

(Time passes)

Friend: "By the way, the wedding is in a place that makes no sense whatsoever for anyone involved."

MrG: "No worries. It will be nice to get away."

(Time passes)

Friend: "Oh, and despite the fact that most of our friends, including the wedding party, have kids, we're not allowing kids at the wedding."

MrG: "..."

Friend: "But, like it says on the invitation, licensed childcare will be provided at the venue."

MrG: "So...leaving my infant with a stranger. I guess it's alright since it's licensed, and we'll be in the same building, since the childcare is at the venue."

(Time passes)

MrG: "So how do I go about getting childcare lined up for the big day?"

Friend: "Oh, you just call and tell them to come up to your hotel room at the venue."

MrG: "We're not getting a hotel room at the venue. We've booked a nice house nearby to share with other friends are going, since we all like to vacation together, anyway, and it'll be better accommodations for our families at a lot less cost."

Friend: "Well, despite the fact that we didn't make this clear before you RSVPed, you have to stay at the hotel at the venue if you want to use the childcare we told you we'd provide. We just assumed that everyone would stay at the hotel."

MrG: :fu:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads