• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm lucky to have an uncle who works at an Indy machanic. Drop the car off, free loaner, no labour charges and trade price on parts. I will certainly feel it in the wallet if he moves or quits!

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today I wore a ensemble (set of clothes) of which I didn't truly believe in (burgundy pants, gray, black, and burgundy glen plaid SC, off white shirt, brown shoes and belt).

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Also, sometimes my paychecks end in .07; other times they end in .08
Last week my paycheck ended in .08:
697.gif

glad im not the only one who experiences that.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As much as I don't really want to believe it or actually give it any credit, I think I'm somewhat "gluten intolerant." (Feel like a granola crunching idiot just typing that) But I've had way to many sinus infections and allergy problems to dismiss it. I've been 5 days gluten free (no beer, although I've read a a lot of stuff saying beer might be gluten free for the most part) and I guess I feel a bit better. I've definitely had days where I wake up after drinking a lot beers and been way more than hungover. Really sinusy and feeling extra terrible. I also started feeling really plugged up after eating a potbelly sandwich with wheat bread last week. So I'm pissed off I might have to do some pretty life changing things with regards to my diet.

Last edited:

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

As much as I don't really want to believe it or actually give it any credit, I think I'm somewhat "gluten intolerant." (Feel like a granola crunching idiot just typing that) But I've had way to many sinus infections and allergy problems to dismiss it. I've been 5 days gluten free (no beer, although I've read a a lot of stuff saying beer might be gluten free for the most part) and I guess I feel a bit better. I've definitely had days where I wake up after drinking a lot beers and been way more than hungover. Really sinusy and feeling extra terrible. I also started feeling really plugged up after eating a potbelly sandwich with wheat bread last week. So I'm pissed off I might have to do some pretty life changing things with regards to my diet.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tonight I accidentally locked my girlfriend out of her apartment. She has two locks on her door: a deadbolt that she has the key for on top and a lock on the doorknob where you press a button down from the inside. I locked the bottom one before we went out to grab dinner. Well I found out there is no key for the bottom lock when we got back around 8. We called the building's maintenance and the wonderful asshats there said this wasn't an emergency and basically said we're fucked and had to call a locksmith.

So I googled locksmith and ended up calling the first entry (which is an ad) I saw in the search as it was open 24/7 and I figure most locksmiths aren't open at 8pm on Saturday night. What caught my eye on the ad was that it said:

$15 Palo Alto locksmith
24/7 Mobile Locksmith in 15 Min.
Affordable Rates Call Now!
www.preferredlocksmith.net

So I called the number. The operator said it is a $15 service call and generally a $45 charge for picking the lock but the technician would let me know if it cost more. I'm thinking $60 is really cheap and I figured they would probably list other fees and charge around $100 but I still had them come out. The guy gets out here and says that it is $179 to open the door and the only way to get in is to drill the lock and I would need to replace the lock too for $69. WTF.

Having already waited 45 minutes I'm not going to call other places to price shop so I told him to just drill the lock. So he takes out his drill with 1/8" bit and drilled into the lock twice opening the door. The whole thing only took 7 seconds and I got a bill for $194. The place is misleading as **** making people think the bill would only be $60 which I never believed in the first place, but I didn't expect the bill to be almost $200.

Then to top it off the guy said his credit card machine isn't working and asked us for cash or check. You know this asshole was just going to pocket the money. Then on the invoice he rips the paper so that the name of the company he works for isn't there. I called the place up again and complained calling them a rip off but they wouldn't budge on the price. My girlfriend ended up writing them a check and I am paying her back.

Is there anything you can do in a situation like this? I didn't think I could refuse payment after I told the guy to drill the lock and my girlfriend didn't want me to ********* on payment since he knows where she lives. Haha. Everything about it was shady. I am reporting the ad to google saying it's misleading and shady but I doubt they will do anything about it. Is there anything else I could do?

Or at least to get back at the assholes can you click on the link a bunch of times so they have to pay styleforum ad money. The website is www.preferredlocksmith.net

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tonight I accidentally locked my girlfriend out of her apartment. She has two locks on her door: a deadbolt that she has the key for on top and a lock on the doorknob where you press a button down from the inside. I locked the bottom one before we went out to grab dinner. Well I found out there is no key for the bottom lock when we got back around 8. We called the building's maintenance and the wonderful asshats there said this wasn't an emergency and basically said we're fucked and had to call a locksmith.

So I googled locksmith and ended up calling the first entry (which is an ad) I saw in the search as it was open 24/7 and I figure most locksmiths aren't open at 8pm on Saturday night. What caught my eye on the ad was that it said:

$15 Palo Alto locksmith
24/7 Mobile Locksmith in 15 Min.
Affordable Rates Call Now!
www.preferredlocksmith.net

So I called the number. The operator said it is a $15 service call and generally a $45 charge for picking the lock but the technician would let me know if it cost more. I'm thinking $60 is really cheap and I figured they would probably list other fees and charge around $100 but I still had them come out. The guy gets out here and says that it is $179 to open the door and the only way to get in is to drill the lock and I would need to replace the lock too for $69. WTF.

Having already waited 45 minutes I'm not going to call other places to price shop so I told him to just drill the lock. So he takes out his drill with 1/8" bit and drilled into the lock twice opening the door. The whole thing only took 7 seconds and I got a bill for $194. The place is misleading as **** making people think the bill would only be $60 which I never believed in the first place, but I didn't expect the bill to be almost $200.

Then to top it off the guy said his credit card machine isn't working and asked us for cash or check. You know this asshole was just going to pocket the money. Then on the invoice he rips the paper so that the name of the company he works for isn't there. I called the place up again and complained calling them a rip off but they wouldn't budge on the price. My girlfriend ended up writing them a check and I am paying her back.

Is there anything you can do in a situation like this? I didn't think I could refuse payment after I told the guy to drill the lock and my girlfriend didn't want me to ********* on payment since he knows where she lives. Haha. Everything about it was shady. I am reporting the ad to google saying it's misleading and shady but I doubt they will do anything about it. Is there anything else I could do?

Or at least to get back at the assholes can you click on the link a bunch of times so they have to pay styleforum ad money. The website is www.preferredlocksmith.net

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Been there. Done that. Just bend over and take it.

Thanks. The place next door is under renovations, so they had scaffolding set up about 6 feet from my window on the 3rd floor. I considered climbing it and punching the window screen out because I left it open, but I decided I could have killed myself. I think I also got taken by the locksmith. He said he was going to try to pick it, and that it would cost 1$50, and if that didn't work he would drill it for $250. So he tried to pick it, but I'm guessing he probably failed to pick it on purpose so he could drill it for an extra $100. Drilling it literally took 15 seconds. I should have told him no drills whatsoever, and he probably would have magically found a way to pick it and that would have saved me $100.

**** me. New Yorkers are outsmarting me.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Most full mortise locks have a mechanism that makes them pretty difficult to pick. Which leaves you wondering why the price is higher for the easier method.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
******* Netflix!! I want my life back

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Drove 2 hours to see this boat. House looks deserted, doorbell is broken, call house and cell several times. Say *******, write an email and leave. Get email on way back home that this mother ****** was in the basement and that the boat sold earlier in the morning.

**** other people.

And to add insult to the whole thing, it seems every other boat like this one sold this weekend.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Most full mortise locks have a mechanism that makes them pretty difficult to pick. Which leaves you wondering why the price is higher for the easier method.

Yeah...I can't see why it would cost more to drill a lock (especially if you are then going to hit them up for the price of a new lock).

Picking a lock is a legitimate skill that requires specialized tools and know how. Any yahoo with a drill could drill it out...might be a little harder to get it right without practice, but far easier than picking.

I would question why your GF doesn't have all of the keys to her apartment. She should have been given them at move-in. If they changed the deadbolt locks after the last tenant and were too cheap to also do the bottom locks and give you keys, my might have an argument for them repaying the locksmith fees..but it is pretty thin.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads