1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. whodini

whodini Senior member

It is really a moot point and the tip of the iceberg for a much larger problem at hand. How about getting checks at Chinese restaurants where the itemized list is written in Chinese? Ah yes, I remember ordering that!
    How many times has a waiter taken your order and written it all out in long hand? When I look at my tabs not typed by a computer, I almost always see a combination of letters and numbers that are codes for the cook. I can get the "gist" of what I ordered based on simple reasoning and deduction based on the prices tabbed out as can most people with an eighth grade education.
    I'd like to remind you that you are Matt's turdburglar (just trying to salt your friendship with him because I'm getting jealous) [​IMG]
    You know I only have round eyes for you. [​IMG]
    and re:not having a camera for photographic moments, I think "photographic moments" are overrated
    Yeah, you're probably right. Or maybe I could just copy exactly what you said and use it as a caption under this photo: [​IMG] which we could then make into t-shirts, coffee mugs, panties, etc. How many should I put you down for?
    I wouldnt mind if it were limited to "walking into Chinatown" to experience all this wonderful "ethnic diversity" but I'm just not a fan of entire neighborhoods aroune me being "chinatown". I just don't like their "authentic" food, don't like the grocery stores....the list goes on. I have to drive 20 minutes just to be able to get a tasty Round Eye Special #1, which I'd rather have any day of the week than something "authentically Chinese".
    I'm sorry to hear that. A big part that I, as well as my father, miss about living in Alhambra/South Pas is the large variety of food within relative walking distance. Vietnamese, Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Malaysian, Korean, Lebanese, Cuban, Austrian (for a time), etc. cuisine could be had in just a stretch of town. AND it wasn't crap. It would be great if we could all just spread out our cultures so that it would be dispersed a bit more evenly but hey, that's humanity. Every single country has communities of one culture or another because there's safety in numbers and familiarity. Deal with it. I remember the joke around SBV in the late 80s/early 90s was "Would the last person moving out of Alhambra please take down the American flag."
    It's funny, no white person can believe when my wife tells them that she is Mexican, but 90% of the time when we meet a Mexican person they start out speaking to her in Spanish. She doesn't speak a word of Spanish, so it doesn't last long.
    No Costa Rican believes I can speak spanish. If they ask me a question in broken english and I reply in accented spanish, I only get more broken english. [​IMG] I understand the attempt but it gets a little old when I'm Costa Rican myself.
    And, of course, the f'ing Dodgers.
    I've learned to stop checking standing from July forward so that come September I'm either incredibly surprised or routinely unimpressed. Gonzalez is gone so that means there must be another vet looking to add a few $$$ to his account before he retires pissed and ring-less.

2. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

Yeah, you're probably right. Or maybe I could just copy exactly what you said and use it as a caption under this photo:
    [​IMG] which we could then make into t-shirts, coffee mugs, panties, etc. How many should I put you down for?

I'm sorry to hear that. A big part that I, as well as my father, miss about living in Alhambra/South Pas is the large variety of food within relative walking distance. Vietnamese, Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Malaysian, Korean, Lebanese, Cuban, Austrian (for a time), etc. cuisine could be had in just a stretch of town. AND it wasn't crap.

touche bitch. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I love having ethnic variety, BUT nowadays it's mostly sketchy chinese places with C ratings and an overall unwelcoming atmosphere (which probably explains why they go out of business in 6 months only to be replaced by another sketch eatery), at least to someone like me, and I LOVE eating out.

Funny, I can probably name the exact places you're referring to, which I do admit is one great thing about SGV. Tonite I picked up shwarma sandwiches from Wahibs. btw, the Austrian place you're referring to is no longer, but you probably know that.

3. whodini

whodini Senior member

touche bitch. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I love having ethnic variety, BUT nowadays it's mostly sketchy chinese places with C ratings and an overall unwelcoming atmosphere (which probably explains why they go out of business in 6 months only to be replaced by another sketch eatery), at least to someone like me, and I LOVE eating out. Funny, I can probably name the exact places you're referring to, which I do admit is one great thing about SGV. Tonite I picked up shwarma sandwiches from Wahibs. btw, the Austrian place you're referring to is no longer, but you probably know that.
    I haven't said this on the internet since the mid-90s but, "MESS WIT DA BEST, DIE LIKE DA REST!" Hey, I'm all for 86'ing deadbeat sketch seafood places in MP, along with 90% of LA, just leave me a few places here and there. Best Chinese-style chicken I ever had was in a hole in the wall place that survived on a B (or so) rating the entire two years it was open. I think I told you it was across the street from Gino's Primo on Las Tunas. THAT was worth the risk of the hauntavirus although I never got sick. Yeah, it scares me that I only need to mention the nationality and you already know the place. I'd be surprised if you could name the Austrian place as it wasn't advertised as such. The owner just happened to be from Vienna and found out my dad spoke german. Talk about killer breakfasts. But yeah, it's been closed for ages. Edit: Well, I took the liberty of designing the reception momentos. I put an order down for 150. Don't sweat it, I gave them your name and billing info. Totally taken cared for. Thank me later. Here it is! [​IMG]

4. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

Other ethnic groups can mingle in the U.S., so why can't whites?

"Gotta get the door! That's the SPIC with my Chink food."

5. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

Most of the universities that i know of have classes with corresponding numbers. ENC1101, AST 2002 EUH3508, ENL 4312, etc... Usually the number corresponds with reccomended years before taking it or something like that. I'm not sure how it's supposed to work exactly, but that's what i've seen at UF, and a bunch of other universities. I know that grad classes are in the 5-9 level with phd work being higher. I'm not sure how long this has been going on. I thought it was standard, but i could be wrong.

I've been into very warm and welcoming ethnic restaurants, and i've been to some that were less that kind or helpful and had a general "get your food and get out" attitude, while being very social with clientèle of the same race. Sometimes the food is good, sometimes it's mediocre. You win some you lose some. I still think you're pulling more out of what i said or at least going out of your way to try and "put me in my place" as my comments are less of a xenophobic, world revolves around me angle than what you're putting me on. It's funny how i supposedly have never been to a foreign area or have done my best to talk with countless people who don't speak english. Mainly chinese, vietnamese and lots and lots of spanish speakers. Thanks for the condescending clothing comparison and incorrect personal assumptions though. My eyes have been opened.

Things pissing me off recently. Having a friend from long island who is a big Mets fan who won't stop bitching. The last 2 weeks have been terrible to be around him. At least the phills will put him out of his misery soon. But then i'm going to have to hear about how bad the giants are.

6. SieurDeLaSalle

SieurDeLaSalle Senior member

Not at all, I was just trying to point out that California is not exactly a small place and that you would expect that there would be all sorts of languages spoken here. What never gets said in these conversations about immigration, and especially immigration in California, is how much richness it adds to our everyday lives. I am not talking about having a cheap workforce kind of richness, but rather the added opportunities that we have every day because of the various ethnic groups who live here. It may sound shallow to speak of when discussing a topic that is very important, but there is something amazing about being able to walk into Chinatown and find produce and products not available most places before sitting down to eat in a restaurant that has actually kept some of its true identity because there is a market large enough to support it. The same goes for an area like the Mission where there are still places that cater to a clientele that is newly here and every one of us has the opportunity eat, buy, explore things that in most places are truly unavailable. Unfortunately, these things we tend to take for granted while we complain about some issues that cause very little harm to anybody and probably benefit the state as a whole. How about having the opportunity to eat Chinese food that isn't necessarily "Round Eye Special #1"?
    You are SO RIGHT, iammatt...[​IMG] Mexican immigration is so underated! Where else could an educated nation learn about human sacrifice, torture picking lettuce and jumping fences instead of paying your way...[​IMG]

7. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

Most of the universities that i know of have classes with corresponding numbers. ENC1101, AST 2002 EUH3508, ENL 4312, etc... Usually the number corresponds with reccomended years before taking it or something like that. I'm not sure how it's supposed to work exactly, but that's what i've seen at UF, and a bunch of other universities. I know that grad classes are in the 5-9 level with phd work being higher. I'm not sure how long this has been going on. I thought it was standard, but i could be wrong.

No, that is pretty much standard. But it goes wrong in some places at some point (like where I used to teach) and things stop making sense. In my old dept, the 300 level classes were supposed to be for majors who had intermediate micro/macro. 400 were supposed to be for non-majors (and majors) who hadn't. Completely backwards and when I tried to point that out I wasn't a "team player." Meanwhile, we had ONE class listed at the 300 level. Yeah, that's a tough curriculum. Ugh.

b

8. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

Whodini, nothing like a heaping amount of fresh hot steaming pwnage first thing in the morning!!

9. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Senior member

You are SO RIGHT, iammatt...[​IMG] Mexican immigration is so underated! Where else could an educated nation learn about human sacrifice, torture picking lettuce and jumping fences instead of paying your way...[​IMG]
    You've just been so chock full of insight in the last few days. I see a "SieurDeLaSalle" post and I think, "Yes! Now I can be assured I'm about to read some thoughtful, articulate analysis of a complex phenomenon, and not just some recycled drivel about...." Oh but wait, no, that was lawyerdad and Manton I was thinking of. Sorry. (Things that are pissing me off: trite racists without even the saving grace of being funny.)

10. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

No, that is pretty much standard. But it goes wrong in some places at some point (like where I used to teach) and things stop making sense. In my old dept, the 300 level classes were supposed to be for majors who had intermediate micro/macro. 400 were supposed to be for non-majors (and majors) who hadn't. Completely backwards and when I tried to point that out I wasn't a "team player." Meanwhile, we had ONE class listed at the 300 level. Yeah, that's a tough curriculum. Ugh. b
    I kinda figured lawyerdad might have been joking in relation to the ongoing conversation, but decided to stay on the helpful side of things. That is really weird. For the most part at UF though, non-majors don't take 4000 level classes, but 3000 level classes are often filled with people taking it for their minors or just taking it because they need an elective. It's frustrating when you see people just dicking around in a class you take pretty seriously or mocking the history and field of study you devote so much time to. Sauce- PHILLLSSSSS? Even if you're not a baseball fan, you had to have gotten swept up in the mayhem. Is the city going crazy or do they still have a sense of impending doom?

11. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Senior member

Sauce- PHILLLSSSSS? Even if you're not a baseball fan, you had to have gotten swept up in the mayhem. Is the city going crazy or do they still have a sense of impending doom?

NO JOKE. I have not seen the city this crazy since the Eagles were in the Superbowl. And you should have been here after the Eagles lost. A palpable sense of defeat settled over the entire city. The only thing like it that I've experienced here was actually after Bush won re-election. Almost the same feeling in the city, except it was a little worse when the Eagles lost. Because, let's face it, Donovan McNabb is much easier to like than John Kerry.

So I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Actually I think everyone is, but the city is electric right now. I really wish I was a big baseball fan, actually. Hell, I'm getting excited, and my favorite part of baseball is the hot dogs. What's even more fun is watching the Mets fans dragging their feet around the city, all twisted in pain.

12. whodini

whodini Senior member

Whodini, nothing like a heaping amount of fresh hot steaming pwnage first thing in the morning!!
    You, sir, are welcome. [​IMG] I'm thinking of actually getting one made just to wear it in December and then put it up on B/S for $40.

13. 1969

1969 Senior member

Fucking Insurance company screwing me on the "market retail value" of my car to declare it ""totalled". Legistlated thievery plain and simple. Just the title "Adjuster" should be a dead giveaway, what is there to adjust? Just fix my car.

14. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

lol, I've noticed it's more Mercedes Benz than BMW these days.....and outlet malls that have an Armani "boutique" since that's the epitome of style, class and wealth

Armani Exchange and some sort of entry or mid-level Mercedes SLK type car. The girls usually have a Coach or Gucci logo canvas bag and tons of ill-advised makeup.

15. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

Going to movies where I have to overhear other "ethnic" groups discuss the preview for We Own The Night about how "thas bullshit white guys is never gangstas" or cheering and shouting "YOU GO DENZEL" when the preview for American Gangter comes on.

16. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Is "torture picking lettuce" one of those examples of literal translation yielding gibberish? Chron, thanks for the explanation -- I really had no idea what a 4000 level class was.

17. SieurDeLaSalle

SieurDeLaSalle Senior member

18. metkirk

metkirk Senior member

...people that feel the need to talk about philosophy, religion, politics... at parties. I went to 3 different parties and they all talked about those boring intellectual shit. The worst part was some hot chicks would be passing by and gave us weird looks.

19. EL72

EL72 Senior member

That was your smartest post yet. Keep 'em coming...

20. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Having almost no money is pissing me off.