1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

Given that it was written by a guy who makes a living reviewing android phones for an android website, it's actually a pretty favorable review. His personal bias is quite obvious and he tends to ignore some of the biggest benefits from owning an iPhone, but doesn't make a bad case for owning an iPhone.

With my iPhone and iPad I'm annoyed at the lack of customization, but like with most computerish devices I've developed reasonable work arounds for the things I need to do, have easily upgraded the OS multiple times (my 3 year old retina iPad runs iOS 8 just fine) and I think the individual apps are better, even if available on android as well. Based on what I've experienced and my discussions with app developers in the bay area - significantly more effort is put into perfecting and polishing iOS apps.

For people who really know what they're doing, I'm sure android can be great, but every time I see someone's android phone that's more than 18 months old it looks like it's on its last legs and runs an antiquated version of android. My spare 2.5 year old iPhone 5 performs great with iOS 8 and every app that I ever use and looks and feels thoroughly modern. If you enjoy tinkering with and rooting your phone and are comfortable installing cyanogenmod once OS updates are no longer available for your phone (I'm going to guess that most Android users never update their OS), Android is probably the better choice. I have an android tablet (CM on an HP touchpad) that I enjoy futzing with but I spend more time futzing than using. I derive enjoyment from it no doubt and appreciate the benefits of an open system.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  2. otc

otc Senior member

It is fairly favorable, and, especially on the hardware side, I don't think anyone is ever going to argue that apple doesn't make great phones.

And android phones have gotten *MUCH* better about pushing updates. A couple of years ago, you were stuck unless you wanted to go cyanogen or something, but now, most phones push updates fast.

But it did make me realize that a lot of things I take for granted on android are ridiculous on iOS. Notifications sticking around on the top status bar? Not being able to share between apps? Not being able to attach files straight from dropbox into emails (as JMRouse always notes)? One of the first things I did on my first android phone was install ImageShrink. If I want to attach a photo to an email, but not send a 14 megapixel file, I can do it seamlessly from the mail app. Just select image shrink as a source, then select the gallery (or dropbox, or anywhere else) and choose my image.

The single button was originally for simplicity, just like Jobs' insistence on the one-button mac mouse. The theory being that if you only have one button, you won't hide everything in random places and right click menus that average users will never check.
    Now I find out that the iphone 6 makes a distinction between a "double tap" and a "double click" on the home button? WTF? That is some unintuitive shit.

And the guy is right about the settings system. When I last made real use of an iphone, the single settings area made sense. Everything in one place, nice and simple. But now that I am setting up this 5s for my use...there are so many more settings, and they all get doubled with the notifications section. It is a mess, and kind of a pain when I just want to change some little display setting that only matters inside a single app.

There are obviously pros and cons to each. Some things are super slick on this 5s compared to my moto x. I like the pull-up settings drawer more than the android quick-settings pulldown, but I think android's notifications are still better.

3. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

:violin:

You're a power user and the iPhone doesn't suit your needs. Get over it, JFC.

1 person likes this.
  4. otc

otc Senior member

And I will admit that I was surprised by his decree about the app store vs the play store.

I agree that the app store interface seems to have fallen way behind (when I searched for Mailbox to install it, the second result was some shitty pranks and jokes app that doesn't have anything to do with email and just happens to use the word mailbox in the description).

But, app selection? I can certainly think of times where I wanted an app on android and they only had an iOS version...happened 2 weeks ago, and has happened times before that. Can't think of many times the opposite has happened (and if there is no iOS version, there is usually another app that is just as good).

I have noticed several apps where the iOS version sells the phone and tablet versions separately...but the same app on Android works on both tablets and phones (with a separate large-screen interface) for one price. Other than saving a couple bucks though, I certainly can't come up with many examples where the android app is definitively better (although it is usually not worse).

5. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Y'alls be devote so much more time than I do to the merits and demerits of various telephones I'm just like "Does it make calls and go on the Internet? Good enough for me."

1 person likes this.
  6. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I ain't got time for dat jibba jabba either. I just heed the words of Steve Jobs our lord and master

1 person likes this.
  7. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

I'm pissed off that otc just posted those walls of text about cell phones.

8. otc

otc Senior member

I want to love the iphone so bad...but I just can't do it!

I will try to constrain my posts over the next week of experimentation.

9. L'Incandescent

I use a Droid of telephone (Android). Sometimes when people see my Droid phone they get all like "Haw haw oh man why you be choose Droid?!?!" And I'm just like "Relax man I didn't choose it for no particler reason just needed a phone and so I bought one."

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

You know I'm about the farthest thing from an Apple fanboi as you can get but I'll admit I like my new i6.

11. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Haw haw oh man linksy has a droid!

1 person likes this.
  12. L'Incandescent

I bought it in Louisville, Kentuckeh no I was not visiting Biscotti or anything like that was just down in that city when my old phone "went on the fritz." I was like "Aww hell I will just go to Sprint store see what they can hook me up with."

There are some parking garages in Louisville that give me the creeps BTW it is like they are haunted or something.

1 person likes this.
  13. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

The fact that you give your business to sprint jeopardizes our friendship

14. L'Incandescent

I don't "give them the business" I just pay my money to them in exchange for phone service.

1 person likes this.
  15. MrG

MrG Senior member

Truly sad. I hope your friend finds peace.

16. L'Incandescent

Whenever I make my patented Wisconsin Style Chili, I put too little cayenne in. I feel like I'm putting a lot in, to where I think "this has to be enough." But it's not. I think maybe the cayenne gets overpowered by the celery pieces.

1 person likes this.
  17. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

That's what happens when a St Louise tried to make anything Wisconsin style

18. L'Incandescent

I make kick-ass Tom and Jerrys. Also brandy old-fashioned sweets. (I don't make a brandy old-fashioned sour because who wants to drink that?)

19. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

I'd be ok with a brandy old-fashioned sour.

20. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

That's because you're continuously three sheets to the wind.

1 person likes this.