• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

When you get home you should sell your bed and turn that space into something productive. Maybe an exercise room or yoga studio?

That wouldn't work well for those nights when I have ladyz over at my place. (Which is quite often, if I'm going to tell the truth.)

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
When you get home you should sell your bed and turn that space into something productive. Maybe an exercise room or yoga studio?

That wouldn't work well for those nights when I have ladyz over at my place. (Which is quite often, if I'm going to tell the truth.)

Is "ladyz" the new, hip way of saying "ladyboyz"?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

I'm going to tell you the straight up truth: sex in beds is just for old people.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Is "ladyz" the new, hip way of saying "ladyboyz"?

There is a hair salon (I think) near my neighborhood called "Ladyz of Elegance." I think it is a funny name, even though I don't think the proprietors meant it to be funny. Sometimes I hang out outside Ladyz of Elegance and invite the ladyz to my place. (The are usually real ladyz, but not always.)

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dougie put the "anal" back in analyst

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
My 4-year-old has become really close to the 6-year-old girl next door; she is one of a pair of twins. For the purposes of this poast, we shall call her Sally.

Every night when we get home, the first thing out of my kid's mouth is "Is Sally home? Can I go play with Sally?"

Sally is not a bad kid, per se. She's 6, after all, how bad could she be? But her parents have a bit of a different parenting style than we do. I'm not bagging on them, they are perfectly loving and responsible parents, but they do let their kids get away with more crap than I do. I was raised in a household where we were real sticklers on manners, respecting elders, etc., and they, while not hippies or anything, do not enforce these things as rigorously as I do at home. Their kids give a bit more lip, they run around, don't necessarily look adults in the eye, etc. They give their parents a bit more lip, and the one mom (they're a 2-mom household) tends to lose her cool but doesn't actually correct the behavior.

Which is fine for them, but I prefer to run a tighter ship.

Anyway, I want to accommodate her having a playmate, and Sally's parents are happy to have my daughter over any time, but the result is that she's there 4-5 nights a week to play (when they come to play here they soon head over there to play; perhaps because there's more leniency there?) and coming back with bad habits. I don't want to be the downer, and I don't want to offend the other parents, but I find myself resisting my kid having this playmate. Sally is not awful, but I want my daughter to be raised by me, not by the next door neighbors.

Tonight, I let her go over there, telling her I'd get her at 7:30. When I brought her back, she totally lost her ****. I think I handled it well and she is calm now and we are playing playdoh now, but it's aggravating to have to deal with this.

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 4-year-old has become really close to the 6-year-old girl next door; she is one of a pair of twins. For the purposes of this poast, we shall call her Sally.

Every night when we get home, the first thing out of my kid's mouth is "Is Sally home? Can I go play with Sally?"

Sally is not a bad kid, per se. She's 6, after all, how bad could she be? But her parents have a bit of a different parenting style than we do. I'm not bagging on them, they are perfectly loving and responsible parents, but they do let their kids get away with more crap than I do. I was raised in a household where we were real sticklers on manners, respecting elders, etc., and they, while not hippies or anything, do not enforce these things as rigorously as I do at home. Their kids give a bit more lip, they run around, don't necessarily look adults in the eye, etc. They give their parents a bit more lip, and the one mom (they're a 2-mom household) tends to lose her cool but doesn't actually correct the behavior.

Anyway, I want to accommodate her having a playmate, and Sally's parents are happy to have my daughter over any time, but the result is that she's there 4-5 nights a week to play (when they come to play here they soon head over there to play; perhaps because there's more leniency there?) and coming back with bad habits. I don't want to be the downer, and I don't want to offend the other parents, but I find myself resisting my kid having this playmate. Sally is not awful, but I want my daughter to be raised by me, not by the next door neighbors.

Tonight, I let her go over there, telling her I'd get her at 7:30. When I brought her back, she totally lost her ****. I think I handled it well and she is calm now and we are playing playdoh now, but it's aggravating to have to deal with this.
Ouch. I don't know how I'd deal with that, being not a parent. Maybe sit down and explain the issue with her and tell her if she keeps bringing her friends attitude home, she can no longer go over there?

So, twins, and a two mom household?

Last edited:

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

That's a tough one. A few random thoughts/observations from my own experiences:
1. Is your daughter starting kindergarten in the fall? That will introduce a whole new social circle, plus the neighbor kid will be reconnected/more occupied with classmates her own age. That may temper the situation a bit right there.
2. I totally get the resistance, but in my experience that dynamic is going to be present, at least to some degree, with almost all of the friends your daughter makes. It's probably a good time to start reinforcing with her that your rules are your rules, however anybody else does it. (Easy to say, I know.)
3. Maybe you can starting insisting that playdate time be divided more evenly between the two houses? I wouldn't hesitate to have a respectful conversation with the other parents to explain why you're doing so. (This may also prevent them from unintentionally undermining you by encouraging the kids to always gravitate to their house, thinking they're doing you a favor.)
4. All that said, difficult and frustrating stuff.

Last edited:

donjuan17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any idea what the better airline is for going to Hawaii?
Between Delta, American Airlines, United, or Hawaiian.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Any idea what the better airline is for going to Hawaii?
Between Delta, American Airlines, United, or Hawaiian.

Delta and Hawaiian by default. American and United are awful.

I'm impressed by Hawaiian, they run a tight ship, even though I've only flown them interisland. Delta is not perfect by a long shot, but pretty good compared to other legacy airlines

donjuan17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Delta and Hawaiian by default. American and United are awful.

I'm impressed by Hawaiian, they run a tight ship, even though I've only flown them interisland. Delta is not perfect by a long shot, but pretty good compared to other legacy airlines

Thanks. I thought so. Booked with Hawaiian. Leaving second week of August to the Islands.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Doug,

The mere fact you are thinking on this so hard tells me you're probably a pretty damn good parent and odds are in your kid's favour for becoming a well adjusted adult.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads