1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

my school and my major had pretty bad grade deflation. never worked my ass off harder for a B-.

umm stem majors do allow for re-dos. my school had a policy of averaging the two grades, but i know quite a few schools that let the second grade override the first

i guess I'm a sample size of 1, but this is just not true. i knew a lot of students that failed classes or got Cs and Ds and had to retake classes to graduate. also pre-requisites were somewhat flexible. you could talk things out with the professor and they would do their best to accommodate you. otoh if you didn't know the material than it's really hard for you to go to the next class where everything is based on the previous class. a lot of cases professors let you take classes concurrently.

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  2. why

why Senior member

How can grades be deflated? Did they curve them downward or something?

3. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i think this whole "deflation" thing is kind of a myth. at most, at least what i've seen, is that exam scores don't necessarily correlate to alphabetical scores (that is, a 90+ is an A, etc). You might score a 60/100, and yet if this is the high score of the class, then this turns to an A, and then there's a set number of A's, B's, C's, etc.

i did get a C once. prof was a douche bag.

4. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i'm an ass. i was walking to this place to get lunch, and this woman was in front of me with a stroller and i saw that she was going to the same place ... and so i walked past so i wouldn't be stuck holding all these doors to fit the damn stroller through.

low.

:facepalm:

1 person likes this.
  5. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

And me thinking I you were a real Gent..

6. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Wow. And people think I'm SF's biggest asshole.

7. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i did turn around and get my sandwich

8. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I could be in the minority here, but I've taken small steps back in pay to get broader exposure, better opportunities, and more work-life balance.

9. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

Something like 70% of the grades given at Harvard are A or A-. That's what they mean by grade inflation.

It pleases the students because they can all look good in front of employers, but the flip-side is there is little differentiation. Also, a B becomes that much easier, a C becomes that much easier, etc.

1 person likes this.
  10. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

some classes if too many people did well then yes.

11. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

If everyone is getting A grades , the diploma/cursus will automatically suffer from that..

It is not rare in Classes Preparatoires in France not to get in the first year more than 12 out of 20 for the top of the class..

It is also part of the natural selection part of any elitist system..

The same system applies to medical schools subjected to a strict numerus clausus policy.

The ones who cannot handle the first two horrendous years chose to try university instead..

12. edinatlanta

No one cares about your bullshit frog country, lasbar.

13. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

You can be so hurtful sometimes Ed..

1 person likes this.
  14. edinatlanta

15. why

why Senior member

Exactly. I've seen some very, very incompetent people who don't understand fundamentals of their major who are not only getting through the system, but coming out with high GPAs. Then there are some others who know a lot of what they're doing and how to actually apply what they've learned that end up looking little different, if at all.

The majority of students earned D's and C's in most classes, but the average GPA was probably 3.2+. How does that make any sense?

16. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Euphemism?

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. Are you saying they deserved D's and C's but received higher grades, resulting in that average GPA? Or are you saying there was a barbell distribution the grades that weren't D's and C's tended to be A's, thereby pulling up the average?

17. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

i had friends purposely not taking AP classes in high school (or purposely failing advanced placement assessment exams after college enrollment) to get easy entry level maths and sciences (stuff like basic algebra, geometry and trigonometry and basic biology and chemistry) classes during 1st/2nd year to inflate your GPA. they were basically taking the math and science classes already covered in high school to again boost GPA's when they apply for MBA/LAW/Med Schools. Coupled with taking super basic "general studies-type" of majors with super light semestral loads (maybe 10 units per semester) they'd end up with comically high GPAs.

of course there was the professors who gave out easy A's so it was a mad dash to enroll into their classes. Another way was to join a academically prominent frat (which usually had large databases of past exam questions from practically every professor in the school).

18. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

you can take AP classes but not have the credits count towards class placement. AP classes probably help you get in to the college you want too.

19. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

yeah i think thats what I meant... basically they took the basic science and math classes and then purposely didn't pass the AP exams or just didn't take them to avoid actually getting advanced credits - so they could take classes they've already studied the whole subject matter for.

another sneaky move, from friends in the UC system was to just outright fail a class on purpose if they weren't getting an A so they'd be able to re-take it again (extra year or prerequisites be dammed) because they will count the new re-taken class grade (of course probably an A by then) towards the GPA.

here in the north east... there's this tried and true tactic of getting kids into school though sports scholarships....

http://deadspin.com/why-rich-lacrosse-parents-are-making-their-kids-repeat-1570381983

holding your kid back a year as early as middle school to gain physical and mental maturity advantages (malcom gladwell outlier's style) going into high school. from there you have 19 and 20 year old high school seniors (basically men) competing for those slots against sometimes not yet developed regular 17 and 18 year olds.

20. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

A lot of kids I went to high school with took math and science over the summer and then took it for real during the year to ensure As. Total racket.