1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

This all makes sense and I know it to be the most logical, rational decision.

I guess what annoys me is the fact that I even feel this way. It feels like it should be a no-brainer situation. I'm also starting to rationalize how maybe the "better" gig doesn't have as much long-term potential and that the other one may.

It's like I can only focus on the short-term, even though I fully recognize the long-term potential that the other gig has.

Edit: and it bothers me that I'd be making the same amount of money at the startup. I was really hoping to have some upward compensation momentum with each successive job placement. See? I'm just an ungrateful piece of shit! Ugh.

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  2. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

I is a terrible writer. Maybe someone here offer private tutelage? Money no have but good in bed I am

3. js4design

js4design Senior member

This. I'm an architect and back in '08, I was laid off and there were no arch firms hiring. I had the opportunity to work in a similar, specialized field and make 30-40% more than I had been making. Instead, I went and worked for a contractor doing manual labor making shit money because I knew I wanted to be in architecture, that was the kind of work I wanted to spend my life doing, and if I took the other job I'd be making too much money to go back to architecture when the market rebounded. The market still is not great and even with 5+ years back in the field I do sometimes have doubts, but ultimately I know I that I made the right decision.

4. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

I got drunk Wednesday night and brought this mature woman home from karaoke. After we banged she mentioned her 17 year old son.

:bigstar:

4 people like this.
  5. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Reading helps but the bulk of it is writing, paying attention to the edits. Then doing more with less. probably 35% reading, 60% writing and 15% mental.

1) didn't read GF's post but fwiw, I'm only a couple years older than you, single, no kids virtually no debt etc. but i'm already starting to feel like things might be "too late" for me in life.
    2) that's probably more just my Irish pessimism but whatever.

6. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I'd go for the money

7. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

I would go for whichever one is not a startup.

8. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

The startup is actually in pretty good shape. It's not in proof of concept mode -- they're in the mass scale mode. Mid stage, if you will.

9. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

How old was she???

A slutty 35 or more MILF 50 range???

Also ,did she sing there and which song?

10. zarathustra

zarathustra Senior member

Only two things you need to worry about:

Copulate with those of the female gender and obtain more legal tender.

11. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

Said the mouse to the lion. Happy to go head to head.

Low standards have allowed students to progress upward through the system without the requisite qualifications. How to teach the material and/or skill is an orthogonal problem. You’re dealing with students who cannot write, and it’s not your job to teach them to write. I understand that. But they should have failed (much) earlier in the process. That’s the signal for them to learn and improve, or get out of the system.
    I’d rather have fewer graduates that are competent than more that might as well not have gone to HS or college at all.

I do not doubt that. People can major in all kinds of nonsense, and getting an F requires a complete lack of effort in a lot of classes.

Not sure why you mentioned good schools, but to clarify, I'm talking about standards across the spectrum.

1 person likes this.
  12. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Because schools with supposedly high standards still produce some poor writers.

13. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

The problem here is that higher education in the US is BIG BUSINESS. They want as many bodies as possible pumping money into their system. They really don't give a fuck so long as they are making that paper.

1 person likes this.
  14. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I used to live in Georgia, where they have industrial sized and occasionally flying roaches.

Maryland ain't the South.

15. why

why Senior member

It's to the point now where C's have become worthless and get curved to A's. F's get curved to C's.

The whole system is a joke. There are no standards. There is no absolute cut-off where the professors simply say 'Sorry, but you'll need to try again'. Part of the reason is that the students pay so much that it's hard to tell someone who just spent thousands of dollars and a decent amount of effort that they don't know enough.

That, and in a lot of fields the whole pre-requisite structure and enrolment limits screw the system up. Failing a student in a class that's a pre-requisite for others often means they have to wait another year to take that bottleneck class again because by the time they know they failed, the next semester's offering of the class is filled. What do they do in the meantime? It's not like they can just study a bit more, fill in the gaps in their knowledge, and step up for their next ability to demonstrate what they know. Instead they need to sit around with their thumb up their ass for a year and then finally re-take the whole course and all the accessory busywork.

Then there is the ability to select professors, open-ended graduation paths, etc.

There's so much to discuss with the current system because it's such a huge, huge, huge mess. It's really a colossal failure.

1 person likes this.
  16. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

You realize no one goes to school to learn how to write, right?

17. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

Yes, grade inflation is systemic. But Cs don't get "curved" to As. I end up giving a lot of grades in the B range: B- is pretty bad; B+ is okay. It's quite hard to get an A on a written assignment in one of my classes. It is true that I give Cs when a D or an F would be more appropriate; on the other hand, I do tell students that they need to rewrite their papers because they're not good enough.

My hunch is that most undergrads would agree with the assertion that they need to learn to write better, even if they're not particularly committed to the effort. What's ironic is that few realize that they're not very good at reading--at the basic level (what the texts actually say often do not match up with what their impressions of them are) or at the structural level (the forms of writing that seem familiar enough not to need explanation when they've actually evolved in particular ways).

18. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

inorite?

19. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

there's this family that lives down the street that all seem to have varying degrees and types schizophrenia and mental illnesses. its like 3 generations of them (elderly patriarchs, 50-ish parents, their adult children) all living in one huge victorian house (that's been divided into smaller apartments).

I'll see them at the nearby grocery store (not together, but individually) and is straight out of a movie: manic adult son frantically searching for ingredients on making brownies from scratch, the 50-ish mother checking out and then angrily demanding the $5 thats owed to her from random people in the check out line.

what breaks my heart, and pisses me off is that I'll see a young woman who is married to the manic son and she has this little toddler with her and she'll be in the parking lot crying and looking worn out. Its just wicked sad to see that kind of mental anguish and how its likely being perpetuated into that next generation of their kids.

20. why

why Senior member

Outside of the humanities, yes they do. The sciences and engineering don't really allow for any kind of re-do, so poor grades simply get curved.