1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

How is it that people graduate college with B.A.s and they can't write? Explain please, L'inc.

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

3. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

Those in charge of teaching these things focus on nonsense instead.

1 person likes this.
  4. patrickBOOTH

I think humanity based education should be focused more on concepts, technique, and history and less on feelings.

5. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

A couple of points:

1. Students come to university with writing skills that are shockingly bad. Seriously, you would think many of them are non-native speakers of English.

2. A basic English composition course cannot make them decent writers. The students are just so far in the hole. I don't know how many composition courses it would take, but it's definitely more than one or two.

3. Based on my anecdotal experience, professors rarely assign papers; they prefer multiple choice and short answer exams. (I suspect it's because those are much, much easier to grade.) So the students don't get much practice.

4. I try to make sure my students can write at a reasonably high level, but I can't devote too much of my class to teaching the mechanics of writing. The more I turn my class into English class, the less time I have to teach philosophy.

6. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

I was approved for time off until Wednesday. Got a phone call at 8:45. Hey are you coming in today? No. [edited for length] well, we could really use you and it has been two weeks.

So I came in late, putting in for a full day, not doing shit in the office until wednesday (the day I was supposed to return) which will be spent catching up on the things I missed.

7. Biscotti

Biscotti Senior member

Welcome to the real world ed

8. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

AKA low standards.

9. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

You graduated so the standards can't be too high.

10. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Ehhhhhhhhh. I've read some really bad things from people who went to good schools. Perhaps asking most people to be decent writers is too much.

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  11. patrickBOOTH

This team was created at my company to help change the "culture". The team consists of a bunch of old farts who have worked here for 30+ years. Yeah, this is going to work great.

3 people like this.
  12. L'Incandescent

It's not just a matter of having high standards, although that's obviously part of it. Writing well is a skill, and it takes consistent, focused effort to get good at it. In that respect it's like learning to play piano or learning to play golf. For a complex set of reasons, our educational system has decided not to spend too much effort teaching students to write well. For better or worse, the system has other priorities. I can insist on high standards when I get the students at the university level, but that's not going to magically turn them into good writers.

1 person likes this.
  13. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Don't know what part of Maryland you live in but I haven't seen that many cockroaches - especially flying ones. Now, move to the actual tropics in West Africa.... those guys are serious over there!

14. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

That's what you get for answering your phone during your time off. OR having a staycation. Rookie

15. eduardo14

eduardo14 Well-Known Member

Whichever pays more..go for

You will regret it the whole time if u choose the other option..

You will sort it out..and with the job that pays more..if job security is not a problem it is a no-brainer

16. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

Chiming in as someone who teaches undergraduate writing (although, thankfully, my days of teaching straight comp classes are long over). An analogy might be useful: consider the disparity between the average office dude and someone who posts on WAYWRN every day. The former might look pretty frumpy, but he manages to clothe himself and do his job; the latter refines his outfits by considering the feedback he receives in relation to his own evolving sensibilities. The former might actually think that all this attention to detail is a complete waste of time. Similarly, the undergrad who's successfully passed high school feels that s/he is perfectly capable of communicating basic (or even low-level abstract) thoughts. Whether or not this student will want to dedicate time and attention to improving his/her writing is an open question--based largely on whether or not the professor can convince him/her that there's a lot to be improved and that it's desirable to do so.

I couldn't agree more. In fact, if/when I get tenure, I'm going to start each of my courses, especially my first-year courses, with a lengthy explanation of how nobody really cares at all about the opinions and impressions of eighteen to twenty year-olds, and that the only things that matter are genuine insights and careful analysis.

Last edited: May 9, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  17. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Your initial mistake was connecting "prestige" with "consulting."

2 people like this.
  18. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Unlike running (only way to get better at running is to run), I think writing is improved more by reading than writing. Maybe comp classes should focus more on reading :\

19. L'Incandescent

I always make it clear to my students that I don't care about their feelings about the material; I care about their understanding of the material. They are always stunned when I tell them that. It's clear that they're encouraged to share their feelings in a lot of their other classes.

3 people like this.
  20. MrG

MrG Senior member

GF, you need to take the long view. Irrespective of money, you state that one of the jobs offers a better career path. That's your answer.

You are young and early in your career; the money will come. Also, assuming you're making a decent living at either option, the returns on more money diminish much faster than those on putting yourself on the better career path, especially given your youth.

Also, if you truly do have a desire to start your own venture, do it now before you have a family and still have ample time to recover if things go sideways. You will never have less to lose than you do right now.

4 people like this.