1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Consumer Reports are a bunch of lames. Although I drive a Grand Cherokee.

2. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Based mostly on comfort. They also have the highest resale value of any vehicle, longest life expectancy, and least negative impact on the environment.

3. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

I was so so very close to buying a Jeep Wrangler unlimited. I was on the lot took a test drive and everything. I could already envision driving this thing with the top down and doors off this summer. the price was great too, manual transmission and dark brown color (hence the great price). but it was the middle of winter and i started to over think it (gas milage, the noise, would I actually use this a lot, ect ).

i'll probably look into buying it used or maybe even lease it to see if its a good fit.

I used to see this guys vintage Land Cruiser parked in McCarren all the time right at the Dog Run. When we finally were planning the big move to CT I would wait around for the owner, I think I even left a note on his windshield asking if he was willing to sell it. I would even randomly ask people at the dog park if that was their car like a weirdo.

[​IMG]

^my dad has a couple vintage Land Cruisers back in Mexi-Asiana. maybe it was for the best, I bet it would be a bitch to maintain.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

I really want a Land Rover Defender

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

The ultimate driving machine is clearly the Ford Bronco. My father has owned several through the years. Literally built like tanks. The tailgate weighs like 200 pounds.

1 person likes this.
  6. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I assume these wouldn't be Daily Driver or sole vehicle options, right?

Talk about uncomfortable...

7. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I certainly get why people like Jeeps. It's just not for me. But they really are cool looking cars. And for every poseur douche who drives one, there's a blond girl with long hair flapping in the wind

8. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

The closest thing to a Jeep I've had in the family was my mom's '79 Landcruiser. Purchased during a time that she was doing a lot of consulting work in rural mountainous areas. OMG that thing was fucking uncomfortable. But cool looking!

9. E TF

E TF Senior member

They're going to stop making them next year because of some safety regulation. Such a shame. I have one. It's great.

10. zarathustra

zarathustra Senior member

The Jeep Wrangler is standard fare here in my town. It literally seems that every other house has one. Many of them are even hardtops however ... don't get that.

11. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

They stopped selling them here in '94 I believe.

12. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Is your town Santa Monica CA?

13. MrG

MrG Senior member

They definitely have a strong draw with the douche contingency.

There are definitely tradeoffs, and I'm grateful that I have the means to make using the Jeep as a DD optional. Remember that I couldn't drive the Jeep everyday when I had to commute in Atlanta, and we had to buy another car so I'd have something worthy of the trip. When my commute was shorter, I could daily drive it, and I may go back to that again now that I got rid of the Atlanta drive, but it's absolutely not a commuter car. That said, I have a pretty strong tolerance for the heat, and I'm not above shorts and a t-shirt when I'm bumming around. I once drove the Jeep with only the bikini top on for about four months straight, including through the summer. I was in grad school, so I didn't need to look professional during that time of year, and we were in the midst of an epic drought, so I seldom had to worry about rain. I can't do that now for a few reasons, but the heat and humidity aren't really on the list.

WRT the Sun, the nice thing about a Jeep is that you can get aftermarket tops that cover the seating areas and nothing else. That way you get the open-air feel without the cancer. I have a bikini top now that covers the front seats, but I'm going to be picking up one soon that covers the back now that my son is big enough to enjoy top-down living.

:laugh:

The rocks would get caught in the tire lugs! I'll promise to drive one of the sensible cars should I ever be invited to sup at the Dougie residence.

14. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

The Defender is probably my favorite car in this genre. Last year I got to go to a Land Rover sponsored event where we got to tear around in Range Rovers through the (rainy and muddy) English countryside. When someone got stuck in the mud, it was the Defenders that were called to pull him out

1 person likes this.
  15. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

16. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Dat DINK lifestyle.

I want to have kids, eventually, but I'm afraid of how expensive they are.

Cars or kids? Tough choice. :crazy:

17. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

its fairfield county (a subset of metro NYC) the area both zarathrustra and I live. in my street alone there are 4 jeep wrangler owners. :fu:

there are so many jeep dealers within the 20mile radius. the guys at the local dog park who have them actually lease them.

its true though, you have the douchetastic 17-34 year old man child being the principle owner demographic of these cars here in CT.

plus i can only imagine how uncomfortable the ride from CT to Maine would be. and my prudent side is cringing at the gas mileage compared to my clean diesel VW wagon.

18. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Aha, now I get it. In SoCal where I used to live, the Wrangler was the province of the surfer dudes and blond sorority chicks

19. E TF

E TF Senior member

I went on one of those days once, curtesy of a Land Rover dealer. Hugely fun when it's not your car and there are people to sort you out if you get stuck. Loosens your driving inhibitions.

20. MrG

MrG Senior member

:laugh:

I hate the people with the "Jeep lifestyle" crap. It's still just a freakin' car. It tends to be the aforementioned douches who buy into that stuff.

That's because they're a unique vehicle being measured using a standard that looks for a bunch of stuff it doesn't seek to have.

Yup. I could probably sell mine today for what I paid seven years ago. It also refuses to die.

It would be a really jarring transition. My advice is to find one you can buy for cash and make it a second car, especially if you have any sort of commute to speak of. You can go pretty old, too. Mine is a '98 I bought from a friend (the first owner) in '07, and it still runs like a clock. The biggest issue going that way would be to find one that wasn't abused, but I'd think that would be easier up here than down here, since you don't have the sizeable redneck contingent owning them.

Old Broncos are awesome, especially the 70s models.