1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

"oh look! this is me at the zoo during our 4th grade field trip"

"i didn't know you were a fattie"

2 people like this.
  2. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Funny how that works. :)

:)

you fool. saddle bag is not french for "saddle bag"

I've not been following closely lately - are you referring to anyone other than yuppie? stitches is just one of the posters he likes to whine about.

I know, right? Like you'd really believe that's his real name!

2 people like this.
  3. Biscotti

Biscotti Senior member

I feel like shit. Got back into town at 0100, fell asleep at maybe 0300-0400 and had to wake up at 0500 for work. I'm home now, but now I got errands and shit to run and dinner to cook for fuckers.

4. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

When I helped my then girlfriend, now wife, move from one apartment to another (so two moves ago) she had to work that day, and I said, no big deal, get everything packed, I'll rent the truck, and move the boxes. A friend of mine who happened to be visiting from out of town over that span even agreed to help. I was assured it was 90% ready to go in the truck, just a few things to toss into a couple of last minute random stuff boxes. Sounded good. I got there, and maybe 15% of things were packed in boxes, and there were not more boxes to put things in. She had said "i'm going to go buy boxes at U-Haul," to which I replied, "before you spend money, go see if you can get some for free at the grocery store, and liquor store." I though it was obvious that this implied "if they won't give you any/enough, then go buy what you need" was obvious. I was wrong. So, I then had to go get boxes, and frantically pack things, so as to get them onto to the truck in time to move them to the new building, unload them, and return the truck before U-Haul closed. This culminated in, literally, unloading the boxes into a pile in the parking lot at the new building so that the truck was empty and could be returned in time. We've been together five years, and I can count on one hand the number of times I've been angry enough to want to yell; this was one of them. Don't even get me started on the storage locker.

1 person likes this.
  5. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Sounds like a variation on the divergent male and female understandings of the phrase "ready to go".

6. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Rather. Yes. Quite.

7. otc

otc Senior member

Don't get me started on people who don't pack stuff in boxes.

Now is not the time to get creative with random bags and trays and whatever. Put shit in boxes that can be closed up and stacked on top of each other without breaking anything. Garbage bags, various sacks, lidless containers, non-rigid parcels...you can have about 4 of those to throw on top of everything else in the moving truck. Everything else had better be stackable.

Also, produce boxes are the best, particularily ones like this:
    [​IMG]
    The lift off lid means that you don't have to bother closing and taping anything, and they are ultra stackable since the double-walls can support a ton of weight. With the exception of an entire box packed with books, they are the right size that they can hold a lot of stuff without becoming too heavy to manage.

Don't be confused by their similar cousin, the copy paper box. Copy paper boxes are not so great...they usually have a lift off lid, but it is not full height and the cardboard is very thin since the reams of paper support the weight in a stack, not the cardboard. Produce boxes are designed to protect delicate fruits that cannot have any pressure applied to them.

4 people like this.
  8. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

omg those are genius. no need for taping shit. i am an idiot. why don't more moving companies sell boxes like those?

9. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

They don't break down flat, so it's relatively harder to move them around when they are empty

10. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

that is a good point but i recycle all my boxes when i'm done with them anyway

11. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Agreed. I love these. Though, at the moment, we have a set of communal family 2 cube and 4 cube boxes that are stored flat in my parents' garage, available t anyone needing them. I think they've been used in four moves now, for three different people/families.

12. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

otc is the type of guy you want around when there's a zombie apocalypse.

1 person likes this.
  13. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Typical. But it all worked out and she was your GF and now wife.
    To me...friends are different.

Buy me breakfast and some lunch and something after. You got cheap labor for 1 full day for as long as you want!

14. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

To feed to the zombies while you make your escape?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    2 people like this.
  15. otc

otc Senior member

They do break down flat if you cut the tape on the top and bottom....although some are stapled and obviously don't break down.

Unfortunately, I think they have become hard to find. Seems like most grocery stores crush/flatten and bind their boxes immediately (and few grocers still display produce in their delivery boxes)...so when you go and ask, they have nothing.

16. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

That is the other way that it can be done.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  17. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Re: women and moving, you guys just don't know the right women. My wife is super organized with moving and has everything boxed, shockproofed, categorized and packed to make for easy unpacking. My assistant is the same way, when we do office moves

Or maybe I just surround myself with highly organized women...? (IBcomments that those are unicorns)

18. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Yes - friends must be fed, and watered. I was treated to a lovely lamb dinner last time I helped a friend move. The custom of what constitutes appropriate compensation varies by the age of those involved (younger people providing cheaper things than more established people, in general). It reaches a point where hiring movers just makes more sense. I haven't yet reached that point, myself. I would also recommend providing the bulk of any alcohol-based compensation after your breakables are safely in your new home.

19. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Hiring movers isn't even that expensive

1 person likes this.
  20. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Ruthless pragmatism.