1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

My girlfriend is firmly against any sort of food in the bedroom in fear of ants, or bugs and such. There was a weird period in my life where I would watch Netflix on my computer in my bed and eat dinner despite having a couch and plasma in just the other room. WTF was wrong with me? :confused:

2. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

I prefer to watch everything on my computer. It makes it easier to pause and look things up or to process.

3. patrickBOOTH

I end up not focusing on anything I watch because of that though. Plus, I have a pretty awesome sound system hooked to the TV.

4. otc

otc Senior member

The internet probably ruined it for everyone. Now every idiot gets the advice from facebook when they post that they got jury duty.

The people who were clever enough to come up with these tactics on their own were clever enough to implement them convincingly.

Now you probably have a bunch of morons who just walk in, sit down, and say "I hate cops and black people" and sit back expecting to be sent home. If you are trying to get out of it, you gotta carefully craft your story in a convincing manner and let your "bias" show appropriately as it would if you were actually a bigot... Real bigots tend to know their opinions are unpopular and keep them to themselves and would only reveal them in the course of trying to answer the judge/lawyers questions honestly.

1 person likes this.
  5. patrickBOOTH

So at jury duty this girl comes up to me, who I recognize from the neighborhood coffee shop. She introduces herself and tells me that she sees me around (second girl to do this to me today at jury duty) and we are talking and such and we break for lunch. I went and grabbed a cup of coffee and came back here to wait and she comes in sobbing to me about how she's having a panic attack that she might be chosen and miss out on job opportunities (she freelances) and also how she has social problems so she doesn't feel comfortable talking about this kind of stuff in front of strangers. Anyway, I talked her through it and she is better, but it was a very random, out of nowhere and jarring experience.

2 people like this.
  6. patrickBOOTH

It's been priced into the market. No more edge.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  7. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

She clearly wants it. Or she thinks you're gay, it could go either way.

3 people like this.
  8. patrickBOOTH

If I actually had much of a sex drive and was single I think I would excel at picking up girls. They all want it, teh Booth.

1 person likes this.
  9. otc

otc Senior member

This is the kind of thing that also happened in some of those transcripts I read (I kind of lumped it in with people who had to use vacation time instead of separate leave).

The judges (at least if a case is expected to take a while...doesn't really matter for a short case) don't want to impose on someone like her. She can't really take time off like a non-freelance person can, and it would be quite a hardship for her to get on a 2-3 week jury...so a nice judge would let her go. You also don't really want your jury made up of people who *really* just want to GTFO instead of actually deciding the case correctly. You want a bunch of people whose employers keep paying them their salary...They probably enjoy not having to go into the office (while still getting paid) and aren't risking their livelihood by spending another day in court.

10. patrickBOOTH

Yeah apparently people who work for my company get chosen a lot because they know we are getting paid.

11. patrickBOOTH

The plaintiff lawyer has this awesome look to him. 70's suit and everything. It goes perfect with the age of the interior of this building. I feel like I'm in And Justice For All.

1 person likes this.
  12. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Your political affiliation/voter reg is public information, so they don't really need to ask. They can find it.

13. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

There are at least 3 other state employees on my grand jury. The Feds must love it because they're not shelling out $40 a day since we get paid.

14. patrickBOOTH

I was told that they mail the $40 to your employer to offset the empty salary you get while you're in duty.

1 person likes this.
  15. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

Some dumb fuck called me with a long-ass message begging for help (she's trying to get in touch with someone else I know) but left this long, rambling message about how she had lost the contact info and needed help etc etc, but the message didn't leave her number until the very end of the message, after about a minute of rambling. I forgot my allergy meds this morning and I sneezed in the middle of the number. So I had to rewind and play the message again (our POS VM system doesn't let you FF and RW within a message) and listen to her dumb ass rambling on for another minute before finally getting the crucial two digits I'd missed.

Fuck.

1 person likes this.
  16. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Last jury I was on was for an armed robbery. I told the judge that I was a victim of an armed robbery many years back (100% true). He absolutely hammered me on whether I could get past the trauma and whether I understood that one thing has nothing to do with the other, this kid needs to be presumed innocent regardless of my experience, etc.

I answered truthfully that I understood the differences and the presumption of innocence (he asked the questions in such a way that I would be a complete idiot or obvious liar to say I didn't understand) and yes, of course I wouldn't jump to conclusions if I was on the jury. So IME they really don't let this stuff go, or I guess there would never be any juries.

At the end of selection, I was excused anyway, presumably by the defense attorney using one of his challenges. Score!

17. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

How does an attorney actually make a challenge? Tell me he/she gets to throw a red flag in front of the judge.

18. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Unfortunately not. Those of us who weren't selected had our names called at the end of the very tedious day. Maybe Harv can tell us how it works behind the scenes.

I was kind of hoping to get the "you're ejected!!" gesture like the MLB umps do

19. otc

otc Senior member

I think the lawyers try to convince the judge/the other side that the person shouldn't be on the jury *before* having to use one of their challenges. So it may just be that all 3 of them thought you were a shady individual.

In my experience, plaintiff's lawyers tend to like to spend as little money as possible. They are often working on contingency and don't want to waste money on a case that might have zero revenue when they could just blindly lob more cases at the justice system and hope that something eventually sticks (and anything they spend money on, eats up time that could be spent filing new cases). Why spend time and money on an expert to raise one case's chance of success from 33% to 50% when you could just file 2 more cases with the same amount of effort?

I would guess this translates to this guy's clothing as well.

20. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

Yes! haha. The jury selection is called void dire. An attorney may dismiss any jurors for cause if they have elicited valid reasons through questioning that they would be biased in their decision making. The attorney also gets a limited number of peremptory challenges (depending on type of suit… I think it's usually two, maybe three) for jurors whom they want to dismiss because they believe the juror will not be beneficial for the client. I'm not a litigator so in practice I have no idea because thank goodness I don't deal with that shit… but that's what I remember at least. I'm sure some trial lawyer around here will correct me (and please do I don't remember nearly enough of that stuff!)