• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

Well played...I think.

In case that was not an awesomely funny post, Fact Check Mafia is anyone that lets reality intercede with idfnl's pronouncements.

Got it, thanks. Sometimes I need one of you kids to explain how this interweb stuff works.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Got it, thanks. Sometimes I need one of you kids to explain how this interweb stuff works.

No worries; I got your back.

I forgot to mention though the FCM was his creation in answer to Matt schooling him on cast iron pans (of all things!).

Last edited:

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Totally uneventful, sorry. I ended up getting the lady next to her who just got on register. Asked to speak with asst. manager I had spoken with on phone. He gave me the cash and that was that, apologized and said that action had been taken (but obviously not). She smugly said "thank you" to the assistant manager as he went into back room to get my money. *****... boring conclusion to a **** situation, but it wasn't worth fighting further.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

No worries; I got your back.

I forgot to mention though the FCM was his creation in answer to Matt schooling him on cast iron pans (of all things!).

I missed so much excitement during my sabbatical . . .

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Totally uneventful, sorry. I ended up getting the lady next to her who just got on register. Asked to speak with asst. manager I had spoken with on phone. He gave me the cash and that was that, apologized and said that action had been taken (but obviously not). She smugly said "thank you" to the assistant manager as he went into back room to get my money. *****... boring conclusion to a **** situation, but it wasn't worth fighting further.

I was living vicariously there for a minute.

Well folks, I think we've all learned something here. Some things are worth fighting about, others aren't worth the fact checking their Googled on.

Last edited:

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

My main, locally owned place has tried group ons. From all reports it tends to draw idiots, idiots that have never been there and never plan to return, idiots that are entitled and bad tippers. The owners POS software tracked group on returns for eight months and he found it was extremely low. Then he did a comparison of high group on traffic nights against regulars being there on the same night. Drives regulars away. Lastly he ran reports on ticket size and tip on normal nights vs. nights with high group on use. Yeah, ticket size was greatly reduced (which makes sense due to the nature of group ons) but they did not have a high level of additional appys and they do not tend to order much wine or cocktails either. Tips were abysmal.

So basically it's just cheap people treating his staff badly and driving away the regulars.

Even Joos think groupon users are cheap.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last night I had one of the most terrifying experiences I can remember.

My daughter is selling chocolate for a school fund raiser, and she and my son went walking down the block door to door selling the chocolates. My in-laws live around the corner, about a 2 minute walk from us, and they asked if they could walk over there to see if the grandparents wanted to buy some. We said sure no problem, just come right back for dinner.

15 minutes passes, they have not returned. We called my in-laws, not there. Called some other people on the block, not there. Walked up and down the route to the in-laws going door to door, nothing doing.

Now its 30 minutes and we are starting to freak out. We decide I will stay home with the sleeping baby, and wait to see if they show up at the house and the wife will drive around the area. Whoever sees the kids first is to immediately call the other. The neighbors and their kids also pitched in, walking around the surrounding blocks looking for our kids.

I grabbed a prayer book and just started praying. The wife called after about 10 or 15 minutes and said they had walked a few blocks over to my brothers house to sell chocolate to them and see their cousins. I think those 10 or 15 minutes of prayer waiting to hear from someone were the longest I can recall.

As soon as I hung up the phone I just broke down. I could barely stand up for a few moments. The whole ordeal was maybe 45 minutes, but the range of emotions and the thoughts that passed through my mind in that time period really took a toll.

Thank G-d everyone was fine, and we explained to the kids very lovingly, but sternly, what they had done wrong and how to make sure not to do that in the future. My daughter was pretty shook up about having worried us like that, and it took some time to calm her down and explain that we were not upset, just worried, and above all glad that she was safe.

It all made me realize how delicate the world is and it served as a reminder to appreciate what we I that much more, thank G-d.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Groupons work really well for concerts and like events, where accommodating new customers does not adversely affect the business or existing customers. They don't work that well for other situations. My local yoga studio stopped offering them because classes at prime times (e.g., Saturday morning) got overcrowded and loyal customers got upset that they weren't getting the special prices that the newbies were getting. As a result, I'm not going to the yoga studio anymore. :lol: Then there's the horror story of the cupcake maker who was bombarded by groupon buyers and nearly went under trying to fulfill their orders.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So my boss has this "business manager" in his office. She's one of those people who tries to do too much or get cute and ends up ******* up things that wouldn't get fucked up if she just did her job without dreaming up ways to be a pain.

We have our quarterly global meeting in London in a couple months and rather than set the agenda and expect us all to show up, she's taken it upon herself to coordinate our travel so we have the same car service, hotels, etc

I've already told her to leave me out of this, and told my assistant to tell her to **** off if she tries to change the itinerary I already have, but apparently she was by today to get a copy of it. I don't know wtf she's up to but this will not end well. Everyone has their own travel preferences, affinities, etc and I know that we will all end up hating her rather than giving her the kudos for 'going above and beyond' that she's looking for

I don't even like to take car services in London! Underground much better

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Whoo, bro. I couldn't even read the middle bit. I had to jump to the happy ending. There is no feeling like this on earth. I lost my kids in a department store once, its the horror of horrors and you brought it all back.

Last edited:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Groupon in Germany is quite terrible. It all started out as a small startup that copied Groupon's business idea. Since they were the only one in the German market and knew that soon others would follow, they tried to expand extremely quickly (before Groupon branched out to Germany or so). Well, it worked, and Groupon took over. Since they grew so fast, support was lacking. Now some business partners want to sell 500 units of Groupon vouchers. Groupon ***** it up and 2,300 units are sold. So the restaurant (or whatever) is the real fucked one now. On top of that, Groupon's service takes ages to settle it. Anyhoo, all in all, it works out negatively for the business partner.
Moreover, there's lots of very shady business partners that Groupon simply doesn't mind. And by now, 98% of the offers are crap.

Last edited:

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My daughter is selling chocolate for a school fund raiser, and she and my son went walking down the block door to door selling the chocolates. My in-laws live around the corner, about a 2 minute walk from us, and they asked if they could walk over there to see if the grandparents wanted to buy some. We said sure no problem, just come right back for dinner.

15 minutes passes, they have not returned. We called my in-laws, not there. Called some other people on the block, not there. Walked up and down the route to the in-laws going door to door, nothing doing.

Now its 30 minutes and we are starting to freak out. We decide I will stay home with the sleeping baby, and wait to see if they show up at the house and the wife will drive around the area. Whoever sees the kids first is to immediately call the other. The neighbors and their kids also pitched in, walking around the surrounding blocks looking for our kids.

I grabbed a prayer book and just started praying. The wife called after about 10 or 15 minutes and said they had walked a few blocks over to my brothers house to sell chocolate to them and see their cousins. I think those 10 or 15 minutes of prayer waiting to hear from someone were the longest I can recall.

As soon as I hung up the phone I just broke down. I could barely stand up for a few moments. The whole ordeal was maybe 45 minutes, but the range of emotions and the thoughts that passed through my mind in that time period really took a toll.

Thank G-d everyone was fine, and we explained to the kids very lovingly, but sternly, what they had done wrong and how to make sure not to do that in the future. My daughter was pretty shook up about having worried us like that, and it took some time to calm her down and explain that we were not upset, just worried, and above all glad that she was safe.

It all made me realize how delicate the world is and it served as a reminder to appreciate what we I that much more, thank G-d.

Faaaaararrrkk stitchy that is just awful, so glad nothing terrible happened.

Reason number 478 to not have kids.

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow, Stitch. Scary world out there. I'm betting 50 years ago this would not be an issue. But today, 15 minutes can seem like an eternity. Glad everything turned out alright.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
stitch, I'm glad things worked out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads