1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Well, no, but still. I did not care for their last album. A few songs were ok, but it lacked melody and was a bit too spacey. Paul Banks solo stuff is great.

2. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I liked their last one very much.

3. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

I too am getting my last free scheduled maintenance on my car today. It's the 30k service and I'm tempted to actually replace this car with the same newer model. I'm a little pissed that any routine maintenance is going to be costly and the the fact that leasing even with a 15k mile year plan might have been a lot cheaper the way I'm driving this car (daily commute of 45miles and multi year epic road trips).

Then again VW is now only offering 2 years 24k free maintenance from the 36k 3 year of the old car.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  4. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

I'm being asked by a customer to support a fundraiser they are doing in memoriam of a deceased employee. They are giving me the hard sell, talking about their commitment to our products blah blah blah, almost threatening to take their business somewhere else. They are a small, but not tiny account. They want me to send $1000 (not gonna happen) made out to "XYZ Charity Fundraiser." I asked if this was a formally registered charity, I was assured it was, but the "documentation" they sent me was merely the application for a business banking account (like, the bank's application) where they had checked the non-profit box. LOL. What dickheads.

At the same time, we halfway fucked up a freight situation with them based on a miscommunication (probably some blame on both sides) that cost them a grand. So now I'm really fucking bollixed.

1 person likes this.
  5. js4design

js4design Senior member

[​IMG]

6. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

My new board membership has been having me hit people up for money *cough*Gome*cough*. It is awkward, I don't really know how to do it correctly...

8. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Holla atcha boy if you need tips.

9. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

The Board doesn't provide training, an orientation, or at least tips for successful fundraising?

10. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Unfortunately not. I don't have enough funds to pay booth for his services. Fucker should be happy that I'm employing him!

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I could teach a graduate level course in this. First thing you want to know is: everyone you ask and gives is going to hit you up every single time they latch onto a cause. Second thing is the Pareto principle is in full effect with fund raising so don't waste your time with the Gomey's of the world (no hate) just go straight for the Vox's and that whacky architect that used to post here.

12. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

RSS

2 people like this.
  13. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

what you need to find is a Patron (big fish)... but this might mean you have to wed his ugliest daughter or maybe gay sechs, sometimes playing Polo (the real kind with horses played sometimes in Governors Island and a lot on Long Island.

14. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Well, yes and no. If you're hitting up friends and individual acquaintances, that's certainly true. But depending on where you work, you may be able to lean on vendors and outside professionals (see Douglas's post, above) without having too worry that much about expectations of reciprocity.

pB, does your organization have a Director of Development or some such person (usually "development" will be in the job title)? If they do and that person is any good, they may be able to figure out the most effective/efficient way for you to go about fundraising. (They should be able to, since it's part of their job.) They're often the folks who are supposed to help newbie board members along as well, so they can probably help you with the bio statement.

15. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Doug, there are significant issues with giving money to unaccredited charities without the proper due diligence. Does your company have a formal policy governing this?

The chief concerns are inadvertently getting sucked into a fraudulent enterprise, money laundering and fronts for terrorism. Yeah, it sounds chickenshit to bring that up in a "hey, so and so died and we're taking up a collection" conversation, but it looks like your client already went there by "registering" as a charity.

16. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

My bus just rear ended a car.

Wtf.

At least an aventador just drove by.

#manhattan

Edit. I just used a hashtag. Fuck me.

2 people like this.
  17. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Your shitty driving is contagious b

18. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

But Bolt Buses don't have 507 HP :(

19. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Oh yeah, agreed about vendors and you raise a good point about vendors. Don't want to get too deeply into my personal experience doing fund raising though.

20. otc

otc Senior member

You're right. They only make 435 hp.

But they do have 1650lb-ft of torque at 1050rpm which is pretty good for an inline 6

1 person likes this.