1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Fucking shitty lazy ass rep fucking my work day up. Added 4 hours to a full day. She sent the wrong sized keg to an account. Can't have the small keg delivered in time. When you fuck stuff up you deliver it. She called me asking me to take care of it. I agree, no big deal. At the end I find out she can't do it because she drives a Honda. Bitch, I drive a Subaru. That keg weighs 50 lbs and is no bigger than 2 cases of booze. Fuck you.

I'm a liquor rep. We don't work 40 hour weeks. I've already done that. @kwilkinson

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  2. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

time for a drink. would you like a yebisu?

3. otc

otc Senior member

I've been in one place since college, and if they keep giving me raises like the one I got today, I don't see much of a reason to leave.

I suppose that's probably not possible indefinitely and there might be some ships to jump on that would lead to a one time bigger increase...but it's hard to be disappointed with 16+% raises and bonuses that more than double year-over-year (although I recognize that those are variable and depend on outside factors).

4. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I'd say your case is more the exception than the norm, but even then, I think your situation is a bit different than what I was getting at. In fact, even at my level, this notion of jumping ship for a higher salary isn't that impactful. It's more impactful for the people who are at the mid-point+ of their careers where jumping firms can net you big salary bumps for similar-level positions.

That being said, I recall you're saying you got promoted recently, so I'd say your 16% bump (nice, btw) is, well, a promotion raise, obviously. You deserved that. But when you're a director or VP and getting shitty COL raises and maybe a couple percentage points for being a top performer year after year, well, might as well hop onto a competing firm and get a higher % raise for the same level gig. Could even get a higher level position, too.

Then again, there are lot's of other factors to consider, as you mentioned. Maybe you really like the city you're in. Maybe you really like your firm and culture. And that's totally valid.

All I know is that setting a nice salary trajectory as early on as possible in your career during your 20s is a prudent move. It's something I'm definitely consciously thinking about as I plan my next steps.

Edit: also, obviously, you don't want to jump ship all too often, like every year.

5. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

In my last apartment, the smoke detector would go off whenever I boiled the kettle. It went off in big the upstairs and downstairs apartments whenever it was set off, but sometimes ours would be barely audible, while the other apartment was going full volume. The one time I actually started a small grease fire on the stove, and took a minute to find a pot lid to smother it, no beeps if any kind. Shortly after this, I disconnected it, and just made it a point not to set the house on fire from that point on.

6. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I have to get up early tomorrow morning on account of have to cover a colleague's class. I don't like waking up early in the morning just not what I'm about.

7. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

I train hockey players. Pretty much my whole life has been about early morning shit. You'd think I'd be a morning person by now, but no. No I am not.

8. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

[​IMG]

would hit.

9. otc

otc Senior member

Nah. It doesn't look like I am going to get promoted this year...and I didn't get promoted last year either (got the same raise though). I must be slipping as this is the longest my entitled millennial ass has gone without a promotion.

I'm OK with it though. I don't have an advanced degree and I am young...its alright if it takes a little longer. I suppose it could technically still happen--promotions are supposed to be announced publicly Friday (although you would think someone would have told me by now).

Still 97% sure I don't want a PhD.

10. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

a friend died yesterday. well I havent seen him since college (more than 20 years ago) - I started in the same major he was taking and we hung out almost everyday for 2 years in school. he also had some spinal condition that stunted his growth and curved his spine and neck- but this didn't stop him from being an asshole when needed :) anyway we lost touch after school but couple of years back he looked me up in fb. we never got to meet up, or even pm'd each other but stalking his fb page I was glad that he did finish law, got to practice and had a wife and daughter. and apparently he's not far from where I live.

anyway I saw his fb page had some messages.. found out he passed away yesterday morning. looked up some of my old college friends and they said he had a heart attack but he was having some health issues when it happened. damn life is short.

1 person likes this.
  11. donjuan17

donjuan17 Senior member

I came home from work only to read that a friend i had known since middle school and later in highschool had passed away. He wasn't a close friend but he was a damn funny guy. He was known by reputation as The Henti Dealer.

His body was found at the LA River and it's believed the storms that whent on last week might have pushed him over the edge and swept him off.

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-79509646/

12. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

13. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

When people preface their remarks with "I can honestly tell ya" or "Believe you me" or "Honest Abe," I am instantly transported into a state of less likely to believe.

14. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

SO I can honestly tell ya, my name is Honest Abe and believe you me, it's not easy.

15. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I'm sorry to hear that guys

16. otc

otc Senior member

Some bad news today--sorry to hear it guys.

17. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Ah shit, who am I kidding, I got "exceeds expectations".

1 person likes this.
  18. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

they should've promoted you to boss

1 person likes this.
  19. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Well it would seem he's not such a bad guy after all? Good judge of character if nothing else.

20. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

We talked about some things he wants to do in the group that I actually think will be beneficial. Mainly improving communications and presenting challenges internally to the group and externally to other departments to help get new ideas and improve things.

I still want to strangle him though.