1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Would prefer she stopped bleaching her hair and let it grow out long again...but yeah...would hit.

2. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

As bad as boxing judging is, MMA judging is worse. In boxing, you generally know who the better boxer is by the fourth round and the rest of the fight is a formality. Most MMA fights are three rounds long and use boxing's 10-point-must system (the winner of the round gets 10 points, the loser gets 9 points or fewer). This often leads to a situation in which one fighter dominates one round, loses the other two narrowly, and loses the fight. Or the fighters fight three very close rounds that could be scored either way. Several people have suggested that MMA fights last 30 minutes with no breaks, and if there is no finish, the fight is scored as a draw. That suggestion is a non-starter for many reasons.

3. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

people who drive on the highway without having cleared their vehicles of snow

1 person likes this.
  4. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

People who drive in the snow and are either too cautious (5-10 mph!), too reckless (if you're fishtailing every time you start moving, maybe you should do something different), too clueless (spinning your tires isn't getting you up that hill; maybe you shouldn't have been driving 10mph), or too skittish (drive straight down the middle of a cleared multi-lane road and refuse to let anyone pass). Encountered all of these people this morning.

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Something I've never been able to figure out is some people seem to think that because the roads are snow covered it's okay to pull out directly in front of oncoming cars. I don't get it and used to see it all the time. Do they figure somehow you can stop better in the snow? :confused:

6. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Fixed.

7. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Watching totally gassed fighters standing around lamely for the last 10 minutes sounds awesome.

8. js4design

js4design Senior member

I've encountered all these characters while driving recently, and I've found that listening to "Yakety Sax" helps keep my anger in check and brings some levity to the situation.

1 person likes this.
  9. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

That reminds me, I had a pedestrian basically jump out in front of my car this morning while I was turning. Almost skidded off the road.

I also had a guy in a nouveau-muscle car (Dodge Challenger I think) blatantly run a red light (he was stopped at the light and decided "fuck it, might as well go!"). I had a green arrow and was in the middle of making a left turn. Probably the worst situation to have to slam on your brakes. I got stuck behind him. He was skidding all over the road.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  10. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Our road traffic laws state, that you have to remove any and all ice and snow, which may hinder your view out of the car or be dangerous to other road users.

Also have Americans not heard of winter tires?

11. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

When I had a RWD car I had snow tires for it but most people get 4 season tires (even though the idea of a 4 season tire is as preposterous as 4 season fabrics).

12. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Our laws say the same thing (probably varies state by state), but good luck getting everybody to pay attention to it. It's not very widely enforced.

It's a big country. It doesn't snow often enough in much of the country to really warrant serious preparation like winter tires. The people up north are pros, but it gets less common the farther south you go. It'd be kind of silly to buy winter tires and drive around on them for the one storm every five years that might require it.

13. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

^ +1. All season tires are just fine for most of the snow we get in the mid-Atlantic. Buying snow tires and having them mounted and unmounted, or buying an extra set and doing it yourself, plus storing them in the meantime, is just way too much work for the amount of snow you get over here.

1 person likes this.
  14. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

The police enforce it here and you get points on your license, also the winter tires are not required by law, but if you drive in snow and crash while on summer tires, the insurance will pretty much void you, if they find out it was the reason.

15. otc

otc Senior member

I'm from Minnesota and I can only think of one person I know who had separate sets of tires. And that was only on his first car...and pretty much just because he bought some fancy rims and thus had the steel wheels sitting around waiting for snow tires.

Decent road clearing (plus gravel and salt) work pretty well with all season tires...although a high HP RWD vehicle might still be tough.

16. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Well, the snow is like padding, so you don't have to worry about anybody getting hurt or cars getting damaged. It's like bumper cars.

[VIDEO] [/VIDEO]

4 people like this.
  17. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Definitely poured boiling hot maple syrup/molasses glaze on my finger tonight. It stuck to my skin like napalm. Luckily I only got 1st degree burns.

18. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Totally shit the bed with a group project for grad school. Totally shitty feeling dissappointing my teammates (and looking like an idiot). We're nowhere yet the final deliverable so it's fixable, just embarassing and annoying.

19. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

noap its not. apparently the "bangerz tour" is in canada right now, and she's killing your people with that.
    and this.
    [​IMG]

was this some kinky sex thing gone wrong?

"totally shit the bed"- I've never heard of this expression.

20. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Here's hoping your adviser isn't a complete d-bag.