• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All this just means is that there is a new paradigm that requires you to know how to efficiently access this information and apply it. Some people are very good at this and others are not.

There are always going to be spots where you need to know things immediately (e.g. you can't stop to research the details of some law while questioning a witness in court), but there are a large number of areas that benefit from having people who can gather and synthesize information quickly. Strong google-fu plus enough grounding in the subject matter can be very valuable.

Its pretty much how computer programming works. Sure, there are occasionally places where you need a rock-star who knows every detail of a language because they are working on live code and need to be able to fix things immediately (although this is almost always the result of bad practices). However, most programmers are like reference librarians who know how to code. Odds are they have a deep knowledge of one or two languages, but still hit the references fairly often. Then, for actual work in whatever the hot language of the day is, they are pretty heavy users of reference materials for language specific syntax and idiosyncrasies.

THE LEXICON OF BUSINESS PORTRAITURE

I joke... I joke... you're right... but I still make joke...

Last edited:

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
wth, what happened?

sorry to hear this, conne. RIP.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So sorry to hear that, Conne.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

A friend of mine passed away. He went to bed last night and just didn't wake up. Only 25 years old too. We weren't close, but we've seen each other ever summer since high school. He lived in California and came to one of the resort towns in the Adirondacks during the summer to work. My friends and I met him once and he was sort of a constant companion for a few years. Only saw him once or twice last year but as of a week ago one of us got a message saying he was looking forward to coming back in June.

A really easy going, nice, affable guy.

Sorry to hear this. Sadly, it becomes more and more a part of life. I still remember when my best friend of 25 years dropped dead in 06. It's a very dislocating feeling.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Not sure what happened, he was a free-spirit type so it could have been drugs but he never talked about that or did that around us.

Maybe an aneurysm? Heart attack? I really don't know. But I'm definitely feeling my own mortality today.

A female friend, who was very infatuated with him, just called me sobbing. I wouldn't have been surprised if they ended up married down the road.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats is tragic. so sorry to hear that, conne.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss, Conne.

RIP.

Last edited:

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That's another thing I've noticed during my years of teaching at the university level: the meaning of the verb "to know" has become something like "have been exposed in some way to." When I ask students how they know something, they often answer by telling me where they saw it. The question whether what they saw was actually true often doesn't even occur to them.

In addition to the Internet, I think the way students are tested in high school contributes to that attitude. For all practical purposes, to know something is to remember what the book or the teacher said.

honestly, I see that with business people, too. I spend a lot of time talking "philosophy" to people "how do you really know that?" type of thing. idiots

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

A friend of mine passed away. He went to bed last night and just didn't wake up. Only 25 years old too. We weren't close, but we've seen each other ever summer since high school. He lived in California and came to one of the resort towns in the Adirondacks during the summer to work. My friends and I met him once and he was sort of a constant companion for a few years. Only saw him once or twice last year but as of a week ago one of us got a message saying he was looking forward to coming back in June.

A really easy going, nice, affable guy.

sorry to hear that

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My jeans of Earnest Sewn have a very tight fit to them, which makes the button fly mechanism difficult to operate. I did succeed, though.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Really, really sorry to hear that, Conne.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There should be a specific portion of the driving test devoted to parking lot driving. I've been hit in my parking lot before, so I'm very much aware of the stupid things other drivers do. Well today I was driving into my parking lot and I just had a hunch that another driver was going to make a particular stupid move that would result in her hitting me if I didn't take measures to prevent it. Turns out I was right. Thankfully, she did not hit me.

When things like that happen, I always try to read the face of the person who did the stupid thing. As almost always happens, it was pretty clear the person had no idea she'd just done something stupid.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Holy **** one of the new hire analysts is the EPITOME of an entitled, Gen Y-er, Jesus Christ.

:facepalm:

She's a ******* idiot.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have like five pairs of shoes that need some tending to, and I am procrastinating so bad. I hate conditioning and polishing my shoes. Feels like such a waste of time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads