1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Sounds like an attempt of a power move.

2. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

I hate poorly managed meetings more than is reasonable. I once worked at a place where I instigated two policies:

1. Add together all the wages (divided into minutes) of the attendees, plus overheads like electricity and rent (approximate and again, in £/minute) and put a clock and a running total on a big screen. Once ten people see the cost of their meeting running into hundreds of even thousands of dollars they tend to shut up and get on with working out what needs to be done.

2. Have the secretary or who ever else is taking the notes keep a strict clock going. If an item is assigned 15 minutes (or whatever) they time it and get them to call out a 10 or 5 minute warning before time runs out.

I'm also experimenting with a concept that involves banning gerunds in meetings. A gerund is a word ending in -ing, and it basically means people are limited to talking about their project in finite terms, what has been achieved and what is next. No more "I'm working on trying to get manufacturing costs down" it becomes "I have/will have cut costs by £XYZ". It helps to get a much more realistic picture of how teams are working.

3. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

I would have made a clock and a running total on a big screen of the overhead time and programming and coordination it took to perform this completely non-value-adding exercise and placed it in your office ;)

I also would have asked for 2-person meetings with everyone in the office so that I could back into their salaries.

4. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

Haha thankfully that little project took about 20 minutes to program (Time and var1+var2 being fairly simple widgets).

Anyway, the point of making everyone else more efficient is mostly to outweigh the time-sink that SF is. If the world were as lazy as me, literally nothing would ever get done.

1 person likes this.
  5. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

I get bumped up for domestic, too. But I can sleep anywhere so coach isn't that big a deal for me.

I've found that some of the lie-flat bads are more of a PITA than anything else (but these were all business class). I flew Korean Air once and just couldn't get comfortable at all. I think it was one of United's where I kept sliding the whole time. I flew first class on Delta to Asia once... that was the shit.

6. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

It's hilarious the way Judges behave with time. When they first get elected to the bench they are always on time, if not early. Then you gradually see a shift where they show up a few minutes late, then a few more, then a few more, then it's a half hour late. The process is quicker in some but easily 95%+ fall into this pattern.

1 person likes this.
  7. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I don't think they plan to deliberately be late, but I'm sure there are some feelings of superiority involved when they strut in late and see that everyone's been waiting for them.

Honestly, the issue lies in our culture of not ending meetings strictly at their cut-off times. I've been in so many meetings where a senior person will inform us that they can go over the allotted time to discuss more, which inevitably means they'll be late for their next meeting.

Now, THIS, sounds like a power move.

Half hour late is just bullshit. That's inexcusable.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  8. MrG

MrG Senior member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home
    At my last job, my boss was always, always late, especially to meetings. On top of that, he'd randomly decide at the last minute that we were going to reschedule (I remember being in the conference room a couple of times with a group waiting for the meeting to start, only to be told it was cancelled/rescheduled). It was disrespectful and corrosive to morale, and the fact that he was promoted about six months before I left was a perfect example of the bullshit that ultimately drove me away.

In his case, I don't think it was a power move. I think he was inept (or at least extraordinarily slow and inefficient) and inconsiderate, and, as a result, he was constantly running behind.

2 people like this.
  9. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

So before every meeting you would show up 5 minutes early and punch in the salaries of the people in the meeting?

10. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

Yep.

I reckon that if one member of staff takes 5-10 minutes to save 10 members 30 minutes each (in time lost to bullshit) then the 290 minutes saved in man-hours is a win?

11. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

I hate that I've become a semi-knicks fan. I hate-watch them [the knicks] with friends at a bar/house once a week with friends (whom are die hard knicks fans) and I have to admit, the schadenfreude and semi-appreciation of following this drama filled/mediocre team has been wicked fun.

12. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

This describes exactly how I feel about the knicks. Schadenfreude. Last night was great tho

13. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

No. It wasn't.

14. js4design

js4design Senior member

We call this CPT - Corporate People Time.

15. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I thought this was a sexual come on at first but then realized you were a heats fan. Supposedly knicks are 4-1 against heats over the past two seasons which qualifies as the best record against them by any nba team

16. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

in all the times i have been to court, i have never had a judge show up on time.

i hope you guys pulled pranks on him. like a collapsing chair at the meeting.

17. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

You notify someone you will be late and why..and the "why" better be you're bleeding, and arterial blood not just some wimpy venous cut.

I do not agree with this either. I have gone to great lengths to create a corporate culture where my "factory guys," the hands on people giving care, the house keeping staff, the kitchen staff, etc. get treated the same as admin staff in regards to the standards they are held accountable to. I had an admin department head not want to implement a certain rule for her department because "we're different than line staff." No, no you are actually less important to the minute by minute functioning of my company than the lowliest line staff. I was quite incensed when she justified her defiance like that.

2 people like this.
  18. in stitches

sorry , piob, but i could not disagree more. imho, if you are running 5 minutes late to your autonomous job where no one is waiting on you, you look like an ass calling to say you will be there in 5 minutes.

and, if you are really serious that that is the only thing you consider to be a good reason to be running a few minutes late a few times over the course of a year, i dont know what to say.

well, i dont have your experience, and you are in a different field, but imo employees should know never to compare themselves to anyone else. everyone has pros and cons to their station. my sales guys, delivery guys, loading dock guys all knew that they were different and they each had perks that someone else didnt. simple example, my sales knew they had more leeway at the beginning of the day and my delivery guys knew they had more leeway at the end of the day and my loading guys knew they had a good shot of having down time over the course of the day.

thats life. in and out of work.

if you have a production line, or run a concrete company or need a truck to leave a dock or whatever, and if a certain person is not there that means that work can not get done, that is different than a guy in an office who if he is a few minutes late, at worst he takes a shorter lunch or stays a few minutes late, and more than likely, it actually makes no difference at all.

again, habitual lateness is a different story. but everyone should have the leeway imho to have some shit happen sometimes and not get hassled over it.

19. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

A few times a year = habitual lateness in my book.

This is all about the "tone from the top" you want to set and I want people to take punctuality seriously.

20. in stitches

well, horses for courses, and maybe our fields dictate that, but i guess that is the root of our disagreement.

could not agree more about tone from the top though. i once had a boss, the kind that was in the office all day with everyone, tell everyone that wearing jeans to work was not allowed and unprofessional. while he was wearing jeans, and continued to do so.