1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I tried food trucks for the first time a couple of weeks before Xmas. It was a mini "roundup" and I was able to try three. Meh. Not enough to ever motivate me to eat at one unless it showed up where I was and probably will have to really interest me to want to eat food in that fashion again.

2. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

They're just food courts without tables. It's a really stupid concept outside of a few cities.

3. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

FTFY. That's kind of an important part of the concept.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  4. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Not at all. There's no running water in a food truck. You really think they wash their hands properly and clean the cooking space? Those things are disgusting and I won't abide them.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Re: taking care of cars, my wife is the opposite - she knows how idiotically picky I am about my cars that she says it gives her anxiety that one of them might get dinged or scratched while she has it. The downside of this is that I have to do absolutely everything on them because she won't touch them, fix or clean anything herself, or even pick which vendor fixes or does anything with them. At least I have my own air compressor - I too hate crouching down in a gas station parking lot and getting my office finery dirty

6. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Re: airports

I've heard from virtually every travel publication that Changi is the best airport in the world, but having been there in December, I don't really get it. Sure, it's efficient but not the most efficient (our plane was delayed, but all the queues were easy and bureaucracy free). Its vaunted shopping offerings pale in comparison to HKG. I did appreciate the free wifi though. And the lounges (granted, I obviously didn't go to each one) are competitive, but not the best - the two best lounges in my recent memory are the Lufthansa first class lounge in Frankfurt and the Amex Centurion lounge in LAS

Atlanta is the most efficient hub/spoke airport that I've ever seen, which is saying something because it's probably the biggest. It's got some good stuff especially after the redesign of F, but it's not the best either

7. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

I liked the airport in Helsinki. Fairly small, modern, wifi, beer available at all hours, etc.

8. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

i think only time i ate food from a food truck was really more of a food stand. kosher hotdog vendor at niagra falls. was ok.

9. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

sir, if I may, but i doubt the validity of this as a food truck. In proper terms, it's probably more of a food stand. In slang, it's a dirty water dog stand.

"food truck" as people described here most likely means some form of trendy cuisine being served by a trendy looking truck for $12-15 a lunch. Halal food doesn't count because it isn't haute enough.

10. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I call food trucks anything out on the street. I hate all of them. Clog up the streets and I hate seeing people eat on the sidewalks.

1 person likes this.
  11. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

Munchen Flughafen is booooooring.

12. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

What - food trucks are trendy now? We're not talking about the worksite roach coaches anymore?

13. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

Food truck = truck. Food cart = on sidewalk. Different things. Halal (in NYC) is typically cart. Carts tend not to be ambitious operations (because they can't due to space).

14. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

and also because

15. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

In Asia they have these food carts attached to either a bicycle or motorcycle. What category are those?

16. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

now there's fucking TV competitions surrounding food trucks.

17. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

18. otc

otc Senior member

In Chicago they can't even cook in the trucks...so it is essentially food that was prepped at a restaurant somewhere and driven to your block to be sold out from underneath a heat lamp. Although I suppose this solves Harvey's problem since everything is packed in tupperware or foil wrapped before it goes in the truck.

Some of them do have good offerings though, and it is nice to break up the monotony of the nearby lunch places if you aren't in a bustling area (although I have been to approximately 3 of them in the past 2 years). I have heard that my alma mater now has an area that is a prime target for food trucks. I think this actually makes a lot of sense...there weren't a ton of lunch options near campus besides the dining halls, the student-run cafes with cold leftovers, and the Subway. There's just no easy way to pay the rent off the lunch crowd. The food trucks have a different cost structure so it works out.

19. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

OIC. yeah, this was definitely the former.

looks like spot in dexter, in the police parking lot.

20. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Lol, that motherfucker is parked in a fire lane.