Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

E-Mart, I understood almost none of that but it sounds painful as hell.

Managed my time alarmingly well today, did as much as I could and still got less than half the shit I needed to done, some of it was because I was waiting on other people for shit, some just because I ran out of time and need to sleep. They really need to add hours to the day. Or I need to stop biting off more than I can chew. Either way.

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

EMart - oy, that is really rough man. when you do get the surgery, i hope it goes well. my heart goes out to you.

3. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Wow, to your point in the last paragraph, I had no idea about this whole exempt vs. non-exempt employee thing. I'm fairly certain that most consulting companies have their entry level analysts as exempt employees so they can work them as many hours as necessary without having to pay OT. Makes sense for the company as it probably saves them a shit ton of money since most analysts will definitely hit a lot of OT hours.

One of my past managers told me a story of how at a past consulting gig as an analyst, some restructuring took place and his job title changed, putting him technically in a lower level position temporarily for a couple months. Well, I guess he was non-exempt because he was still doing the same work at the same number of hours and because of the insane hours he was working, he got INSANE OT. Apparently was making at least 2.5 his regular salary.

And then he was back to being exempt :laugh:

OTC, how many hours do the analysts at your company end up working on average? If you're willing, can you simply work a lot of hours and make bank and vice versa, given that your work is good? It sounds like most people will end up working similar hours, with a couple here and there working a ton and a couple doing the whole 9-5 thing.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  4. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

As many of you know my grandmother passed away last August. My grandfather has been taking it as well as anyone could expect; he's a stoic guy and has been spending a lot of time with family friends. I guess he drove my younger sister somewhere this morning and opened up to her about how lonely he is, and how if my grandma were still alive they'd be snowshoeing and cross-country-skiing and going to art shows. Knowing he feels that way (I mean, I've known, but the confirmation is now there) really makes me sad.

5. otc

otc Senior member

The ones who get promoted or the ones who linger around doing boring work forever? :devil:

The way it is set up now, pay doubles at 60 hours (1X from 35-4 and 1.5X from there) so if your base was 50k and you average 60 a week, you get paid 100k (and I'd bet you would get a pretty good bonus that year too). If you are in demand and people want you...you can come up with enough work to get there. You can extrapolate that out to the hours an analyst at an ibank would work (although that person wouldn't be getting OT very much longer since they would get a couple of promotions if their work was good)

I personally have very little interest in working a ton of hours and don't care *too* much about the money so I didn't work that much. And now that I don't get paid OT, it is kind of nice that my paycheck is always the same whether I work 43 hours or 60 (or god forbid, take a vacation week which was only paid as a straight 35 hours with no OT).

Although it still sucks when I work 70+ hours like last week and know that a year ago, my paycheck for the same week would have actually been a lot bigger despite the promotion.

6. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

thats rough, man. the more time he can spend with family, the better. my gramma is in the same boat. dont know he she does it.

7. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

You have an office. You have no right to complain. That in and of itself is probably worth.. I don't know -- a lot (in intangible benefits).

:laugh:

8. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Sometimes people ask me in a somewhat prosecutorial tone why I don't teach this or that book for some class I'm teaching. There are many, many books that would be perfectly reasonable to teach; I cannot teach all of them. The burden of proof is not on me to explain why I am not teaching this or that book.

9. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

It's hard for stubborn people to understand the concept of finite time unless you teach Proust.

10. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Today was just an all around crap day. Nothing really went right all day long and it culminated in a rather shitty way.

11. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

Roommates take too damned long in the shower.

12. why

why Senior member

Is her family paying for it?

13. why

why Senior member

Yeah, L'Incandescent, why don't you teach Proust?

14. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Sorry to hear that Conne. When my grandmother passed, my grandfather was despondent as well. Gotta be tough after being with someone that long :(

15. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

I forgot to order ski pants online before my trip this weekend, so now I have to go to one of those outdoor stores and communicate with people that wear lanyards around their necks.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013