Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Just read that online. I want to personally beat the shit out of her and her father.

3. nootje

nootje Senior member

Even with all the good things that are happening (new job, own company doing better, relationship doing fine, family keeping low) I still have this sense of melancholy setting in. I guess I'll have to deal with this winter depression thing every year for the rest of my life. Sigh..

btw. The stomach problems I complained about earlier, tested negative for helicobacter. Acid inhibitors and no alcohol did the trick. With hindsight it probably had to do with the stress of working during that last two months, which is now sorted out..

4. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

They dropped wrestling from the Olympics. WTF?

5. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

All of the sales people at my company are now non-exempt. They have to keep track of their hours, and they are paid OT if they go over 40 hours per week. Management doesn't want anybody going over 40 hours unless they can justify it in the form of closed business. I'm completely baffled by this, but apparently it's the result of a lawsuit that Oracle lost a few years ago.

As a sales engineer I fall into the exempt category, which suits me just fine. I've always been terrible about keeping track of my hours.

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Wage and hour audits are scarey shit. I think sometimes one size fits all rules for the entire US workforce often just do not fit. The test for exempt was created so basically only a manager or a "professional" could be exempt but I think the criteria have been so closely honed that people that probably should be exempt often are not as employers really take those wage and hour audits seriously. Thank god for unions!

7. otc

otc Senior member

Well...since consulting revenue comes from billable hours, we have to keep track of that whether or not we are being paid overtime :(

Sales seems odd..I thought there was a pretty reasonable exemption for commissioned employees (once commissions make up X% of your expected income, they don't have to pay OT).

8. otc

otc Senior member

I used to date a girl who works for a publisher. She was non-exempt but had a similar deal where any overtime required supervisor pre-approval and they really didn't want people working OT. She would still do work outside of 9-5 and just wouldn't fill out the time since it wasn't pre-approved.

This seemed like total *facepalm* to me. She shouldn't want to do it because she's not getting paid for it (and as a non-exempt employee, her fairly low salary certainly wasn't compensating her for the need to do afterhours work). The company shouldn't want her to do it since it opens them up to a huge liability.

I get that the work needs to get done...but when a deadline is looming or something comes up last minute, either pay the OT, make the exempt manager take care of it, or accept that the work's not going to be done and push the deadline.

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Floor healthcare workers are infamous for not taking their full lunch or for working off the clock before or after a shift. They often have crummy time management, and sit and chat for hours mid-shift, so they work off the clock not to get in shit. More than one organization has had to fork out big money for not controlling these things.

10. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

well, it is a rather new sport. :p

11. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

Amazon Prime's 2-day shipping is routinely becoming 3-day shipping.

12. Nil

Nil Senior member

They need more space for X-game inclusions. Something like downhill dirt rollerblading.

13. gort

gort Senior member

what? :embar:

14. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Why would they remove one of the original Olympic sports? Is the US trying to spot China a few medals so the Chinese can win the medal count because they are better at the bullshit sports?

15. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Wedding planning BS. My fiance and I have different values with regard to the importance (expense) of weddings. Off the bat I resigned myself to paying much more than I would like and having little to no control over things. One of my few requests was that I be left alone to deal with what I and my groomsmen will wear. Cut to her slowly edging in on what me and my groomsmen will be wearing . . . :brick:

She seems oblivious to the fact that asking leading questions "what kind of vests will they be wearing", is in fact putting forth her opinion, not merely asking a question. So, SO, so ready to be married.