Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Every time I've had to stand in line for ages at the grocery store, it's been because of people using WIC/EBT/coupons in some combo. One time the woman had to do like eight separate transactions and was individually reviewing every...single...item to make sure the cost was what she expected.

You gotta do what you gotta do to eat and all, but :fu:

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

When I read things like this it makes me even more happy I have insulated myself in a bubble of prosperity. I wish I could have done this years ago...but I was not prosperous enough.

3. A Canuker

A Canuker Senior member

I believe that there is a goverment plan here in Canada for every child under a certain age where a monthly/quarterly cheque is issued to cover various things. I think it was a scheme started in the 70's or 80's but it's never really moved with inflation so, while helpful, I don't think it really addresses those who could use it best. LC would know more about it as she(like all mother's) recieves these, I'm not sure if they claw it back against her taxes or not but I would suspect so.

It's a good thing that there is some social assistance to people, it's the goodness of first world living but the big shame is the abuse that some people milk it for.

I would never think that 95% of SF would look down at those who are recieving some sort of social assistance, I would rather not think that we are those kind of people and are smart enough to see the good it can provide.

4. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

I've seen people use their EBT cards to buy beer here in NYC. It was for Cinco De Mayo and it was obviously for a party.

5. Piobaire

There is the set of people that are receiving some sort of social assistance. Within this set there are those that should be looked down and scorned and those that should not.

Btw, I think you are referring to the "baby bonus" program. I remember this from my youth as my mother referred to it as her "cigarette funds." I will let you guess which subset she belongs to above.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

7. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

FTFY

8. Piobaire

While possibly true this is overly broad, to the point of non sequitur, when the conversation is limited to "those people receiving some form or social assistance."

9. A Canuker

A Canuker Senior member

Ok I was clearly forgetting that there is a larger subset than I like to think. There certainly is something to be said for living in one's little life bubble.

10. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

you just summed up about 90% of bmore city. a lot if those programs do a lot of good, and a lot are crap, and then there is all the abuse by some, of the good programs. its hard to figure out what the right solution is. i would start with the gvt employing people that do not go out of their way to help people scam the system.

11. A Canuker

A Canuker Senior member

12. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Well it really wasn't right of Coca-Cola to force feed her like a duck for some kind of foie gras. They should have to pay.

13. why

why Senior member

I'm not against people using it to buy beer per se, but unfortunately the kind of people who usually use such programs tend to abuse such substances.

14. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

WTF kind of person was this????? :confused: The last paragraph has me stunned.

15. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Speaking of silly lawsuits -

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/mc-lehigh-university-student-sues-over-grade-20130211,0,937005.story