1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Biscotti

Biscotti Distinguished Member

I am behind on so many things

2. Biscotti

Biscotti Distinguished Member

I've come to the realization today that I no longer give a damn about the subjects I am studying. Getting hammered was the only thing getting me through, and now that I am completely sober, I'm actually quite worried. On one hand, it is great that I am getting back into hobbies that I haven't touched in years; however, I am losing interest in the person who I thought I had become. I am so confused as of right now, and I am sad and angry.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Remember that the goal of work is to fund your hobbies. Work is a four letter word and there's a reason they pay you to do it vs. hobbies that you pay to do.

4. aravenel

aravenel Distinguished Member

Hahahaha, I like the way you think :)

5. aravenel

aravenel Distinguished Member

Things pissing me off: my ceiling fan is possessed.

It is one of the fans + lights, and the lights are our main overhead lights for the kitchen. I have the fan turned off, but it keeps turning back on. I have seriously turned it off 5 times in the last 20 minutes.

6. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Stylish Dinosaur

Wait, wait wait. Your analysts get paid hourly with OVERTIME?!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013

7. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

well...not hourly. They are salaried but they are not exempt employees (more on the exempt thing later...). Honestly, I don't know why more companies don't do it this way. Entry level employees don't really know what they want and you don't know if you like them.

Start them with a relatively low base salary based on a 35 hour week. It provides strong incentives to work more(we never have trouble rounding up some analysts on the weekend to do shitty data entry since if you didn't have any plans on sunday, why not make a few hundred bucks while you listen to music and sit around in your underwear?) and saves the company money when you are underutilized. Since they are billable, an extra hour worked is far more money for the company than an extra hour of OT. Work as much as a banker? Get paid like a banker. Come it at 9, take an hour for lunch and leave at 5? Won't pay you as much but as long as your work is good and you are billing, you can stay around as an analyst.
    If times are slow and there's not a lot of work, the payroll also goes down (or if you suck and nobody wants to give you work, then at least they aren't paying you a lot just to sit around).
    Really seems to help with the motivation and morale I think...new employees don't really have the buy-in that more senior people have so they see the extra work show up as extra money next friday (while more senior people are more motivated by projects being successful, professional reputation being good, and knowing that it should all get worked out come bonus time).

As to the companies that don't pay OT...I'm not sure I know how they get away with it.
    There are a few tests to qualify as exempt. Most consulting employees meet the salary level test (something like 23k a year), but I don't see how they meet the duties tests.
    -They don't supervise other employees
    -management is not a primary part of the position (buget, interviewing, planning work, etc)
    -they have no hiring/firing/raise input.
    -most of their work isn't independant (not deciding the course of a project, not interacting with clients without direction from above, etc).
    Then, they aren't learned professionals (pretty much all out of undergrad, so no doctors/lawyers/architects, etc), and they aren't administrative (they are all directly working on the core business).

Obviously there is something that lets the company claim them exempt...but I think that a lot of it is that entry level employees don't know shit about the world and thus don't know that they are really supposed to be eligible for overtime (and are happy just to have a job).

8. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Stylish Dinosaur

I just spent 40 minutes in line at the supermarket. (No, I am not exaggerating for effect.) There was a family ahead of me who had a ton of WIC coupons, and the cashiers couldn't figure out how to process them. No one involved seemed the slightest bit embarrassed by this. When the WIC transaction was finally completed, the cashier said "Sorry for the wait" in the most perfunctory way it could possibly be said.

9. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

for the vast majority of people out there, this is 100% true. i am one of those people.

10. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Stylish Dinosaur

Why should they be embarrassed? Frankly you should be embarrassed for your ostentatious display of wealth by actually paying in cash, or even worse with a credit card. You capitalist bastard you.

11. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Stylish Dinosaur

I was wearing a Charvet tie as I stood in line, but the ostentatiousness it suggested was probably balanced out by the Cookie Crisp that I bought. (Cookie Crisp is a cereal, in case some of the Big Tymerz here don't know about such things.)

12. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Distinguished Member

^Humblebrag. Cookie Crisp is Baller Cereal.

13. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Cookie crisp is good times.

14. acidboy

acidboy Stylish Dinosaur

I realize that everything about my work is great. except the person above me. and that is the only thing that you cannot change.

15. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Distinguished Member

people's gratuitous "LOOK AT US ....WE'RE SO IN LOVE" posts/pictures posted on twitter/facebook.

its like there's an inverse ratio... the more saccharine the pose and the more number of pics/posts the less stable the relationship (especially for non married couples).

i never realized that there would be even more invasive ways to display PDAs but facebook/twitter/ect has really raised the bar.