1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

GF?

2 people like this.
  2. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

:laugh: It's actually exactly how I imagine GF would be.

3. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Sup.

4. zarathustra

zarathustra Senior member

This is the required tone for a consultant. They know more than you--- otherwise you would not have hired them.

On another note, I just got my ass handed to me. At least it is over.... Nothing like a crappy wet weather and getting the shit kicked out of you to make one want to call it a day, go back home, and open up a good bottle of booze.

5. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Aravanel?

6. patrickBOOTH

My last interaction with a consultant was excruciating. I got called into a "quick meeting" by another group who had this consultant doing work for them. The consultant was asking these questions really quickly and I was giving really high level brief answers and he kept pushing me to go deeper, but we only had like 20 minutes and he kept wanting to go over things that could take weeks to properly explain. As he would keep asking me to go deeper he would interrupt me with the same mannerisms somebody might do if you were trying to explain something to somebody who knows what you're saying already. He then kept going off on talking about these other companies that were doing this or that that he worked with. It was such a weird experience. I have no idea how he got anything out of our interaction but I haven't been involved with him since thankfully.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  7. patrickBOOTH

I will also add that he was sweating profusely.

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

In my career I have interacted with two basic types of consultants. The first type I love to work with and I am very happy they are there. This type possesses specialized and deep knowledge that your organization lacks. You hire them for a specific reason/project/etc. and they become a temporary partner/team member in getting the best possible result for the organization. I am currently undertaking a 1-2 year IT project with this type of consultant. Then there's the second type...

The second type is usually not of your doing. Either you arrived on the scene as a transfer or new employee and they were already entrenched and looked to as having the answers or they are forced on you by either higher ups, some covenant in your debt structure was triggered, etc. and they are brought in to basically prove to someone else you are fucking up (at least in their view) or to cover someone's ass to get independent verification you are not fucking up as some CYA. This type of consultant should be shot. The deliverables these people present invariably cause more problems than the ones they were ostensibly sent in to solve.

9. js4design

js4design Senior member

+1 to this. Most of my experience has been with the first type, and they've always been great. Had my first experience with the second type on a current project, and getting them to deliver on half of what they have promised has been trying, to say the least.

10. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

But if they don't loosen and dent things in the engine, how will they guarantee you'll come back for more repairs?

11. patrickBOOTH

My experience with consultant's work and/or pitches is that most of what they offer is really pie-in-the-sky type of stuff that is interesting, but very unreasonable sprinkled with heavy handed assumptions. Banker pitches are always more interesting, bottom line focused, however very strategic in nature that is generally too risky and competitive in nature for my very conservative company.

1 person likes this.
  12. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Oy business talk. The worst.

1 person likes this.
  13. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

When I was an undergraduate of college I was called by the nickname of "Businesstalk" everybody was all like "Yo B-Talk bring some truth into this c-c-c-convo (conversation)."

2 people like this.
  14. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Yep. A lot of grand goals and broad strategy outlines, but none of it ever materializes.

15. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Guilty as charged.

In my defense, I was just explaining to Conne how to stop being so beta. Also, I had just ripped a pretty nasty one, so I was, in fact, quite satisfied with myself.

4 people like this.
  16. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

It's a good thing the tax payers of New York have you to guard their resources from these folks!

17. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

Booth knows what both of those are like.

1 person likes this.
  18. patrickBOOTH

19. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

my wife hates mexican food. she also hates indian food. when she was in india for two months for work a while back all she ate was subway sandwiches and KFC.

I love mexican and indian food. its been a real source of stress because she'll actually get angry with me if I order it for dinner, even if I order her what she likes to eat separately.

we'll have the same argument:

wife: "why did you order mexican food, I hate mexican food"

me: "because I love mexican food… why are annoyed? I also ordered you korean fried chicken for you"

wife still will be annoyed throughout the whole meal for some reason.

20. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

I am the last line of defense for the weak and imbecilic citizenry.

1 person likes this.