• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What's a Problem-Based Learning System?

its a system of small group (8-12 people) learning where you are tasked to read about a certain topic beforehand then get together with a facilitator (who would normally be a lecturer) and solve a problem using all the basic concepts and information on what you read.

for example everyone would read up on the respiratory system (from all the major sciences like anatomy, physic, biochem ext) then be presented with a problem (a patient choking). And from there you could cover everything from the histology of the respiratory system, the physiology involved and its biochemical implications ect. The facilitator would ask questions and direct what you should need to know and how to integrate the subjects per organ system.

this way you can have a simple 1hour session and cover to what would normally be six one hour lectures in separate subjects with 150 students. everyone participates and learns actively and you're all teaching each other.

its awesome in theory especially if your group is composed of a majority of self motivated students. you really can just read up by yourself and avoid sitting in boring lectures then learn everything pertinent in concept and fully integrated within subjects per organ system.

but if your group is a bunch of lazy people and the facilitator doesn't show up to really guide you to whats important than its like a rudderless ship and a monumental waste of time better served sitting in lectures and passively learning.

Last edited:

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I definitely did better out of being spoon fed the information than I would have done in independent study.

To this day I cannot understand why simple concepts (as simple as a BGC Matrix) can take 30 pages of a textbook to adequately explain. That level of detail I find suffocating. I'd rather hear the outline and then use discussion or questioning of the professor to understand the subtleties.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The problem with lecture based study is that there's always the dumb or unprepared student who slows down the rest of the class

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't even want to go to classes I'd rather just read then take the exams. Always have marsupials in my econ class asking stupid as **** questions like why is some pollution from a steel company ok? Because then we have ******* steel

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We had this girl from China in one class I had who wanted to shut down all factories that manufactured products that not everybody was able to afford.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I spent about ten minutes in the grocery store just looking at artisan coffees, reading all the flavor profile information and stuff. As if it matters? I'm turning into such a douchebag.

Last edited:

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Posting from a 10+ mile traffic jam, it will be very late when I get home...

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Pretty close to $200,000

wtf?

That seems wrong.
I know that Booth is $5600 a course and you take 20 for the MBA so...$112k plus ~5k in books and fees.

If you factor in Food/Housing/Transportation/A new computer/Health Insurance, they say that full time will cost $90k per year which is getting closer to your number....but, if your employer is paying for you to do it part time, then you can't really include those costs as part of the MBA since you would be paying all of them either way.

Last edited:

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you live in India or what???

:)

Truck apparently ran through the middle, onto the other side. Keep in mind that this is a 6 lane highway.

And I've run out of people to call, at least there's SF.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I spent about ten minutes in the grocery store just looking at artisan coffees, reading all the flavor profile information and stuff. As if it matters? I'm turning into such a douchebag.

what exactly is the flavor profile of animal poop? dont they put that in there?

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

its a system of small group (8-12 people) learning where you are tasked to read about a certain topic beforehand then get together with a facilitator (who would normally be a lecturer) and solve a problem using all the basic concepts and information on what you read.

for example everyone would read up on the respiratory system (from all the major sciences like anatomy, physic, biochem ext) then be presented with a problem (a patient choking). And from there you could cover everything from the histology of the respiratory system, the physiology involved and its biochemical implications ect. The facilitator would ask questions and direct what you should need to know and how to integrate the subjects per organ system.

this way you can have a simple 1hour session and cover to what would normally be six one hour lectures in separate subjects with 150 students. everyone participates and learns actively and you're all teaching each other.

its awesome in theory especially if your group is composed of a majority of self motivated students. you really can just read up by yourself and avoid sitting in boring lectures then learn everything pertinent in concept and fully integrated within subjects per organ system.

but if your group is a bunch of lazy people and the facilitator doesn't show up to really guide you to whats important than its like a rudderless ship and a monumental waste of time better served sitting in lectures and passively learning.

Hrm. Sounds like it would work well for some subjects and not for others. For example, that method seems entirely superfluous in a subject like electric circuits because there's really only one correct answer and one way to solve it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads