1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Vegan gluten-free no oil Celiac!!!!

2. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

I only eat packaging peanuts. And red wine.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  3. Biscotti

Biscotti Senior member

Feeling like so much shit today.

4. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Another bender?

5. zarathustra

zarathustra Senior member

Jfc.. What make you think that it is ok to eat food that stinks up the entire car on the train? Can we play knockout game on the train with a get out of jail card if they were eating foods that smell horrible? What happened to just brown bagging a deuce on the train?

6. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

i had the same experience in the office. what kind of food smells exactly like BO? and why do people eat it if it smells like BO?

7. Biscotti

Biscotti Senior member

8. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Avoid Conne's cubicle next time.

9. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

As someone who recently got engaged: Attendant's gifts? This is a thing? Never encountered one at any weddings I've been to, and it screams of "I came to your wedding! I don't get anything?!!!"

Stop eating shitty food. There are plenty of herbs, spices, etc. that can be used to make food taste better. I don't eat vegan food (I'm vegetarian), but it grates me when people see shitty meals with little flavor and extrapolate that to all foods in that category. Or of course, the inherent confirmation bias.

10. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

See my earlier post about hookers

11. zarathustra

zarathustra Senior member

As per attendant gifts, i only had two. My brother and my best friend. They each got a nice seiko diver watches. Don't remember which models I gave them.

As per food... i don't eat shitty food and infuse flavor into everything-- much to many people's chagrin. I just prefer animals and their by-products to be incorporated into dishes where they should be.

12. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

ack! what an ass of a friend. I understand that they have/had tons of planning and all, but this is downright inconsiderate of them to "assume that everyone would stay at the hotel" if they have kids coming with them. and yeah, what the hell is wrong with having kids in the wedding?

this!

had to sit through a chinese banquet years ago with my departed grandmother, and I didn't know she sat in the vegetarian set (something about their buddhist faith) and I had to eat through unnaturally colored god-knows-what-it-is shaped like shrimps, pork slices and other meats. I hate you, buddha!!!!

nothing a good anal won't solve, brother!

++++

so this happened:

(sometime in mid-november)
    acidwife: hey, (our friends) invited us to their beach house last weekend of november (it's a holiday weekend here)
    me: ok, sure..... oh, wait I have an event november 30th, plus we're planning a pop up store that afternoon too. sorry.
    acidwife: okay

(sometime last week)
    acidwife: hey, (my sister) is going to the beach november 30th with her kids, do you wanna go?
    me: I told you I can't, I have stuff to do.
    acidwife: okay.

(yesterday on the phone)
    me: hey, how's it going?
    acidwife: our beach thing with (my sister)'s confirmed, okay? we're leaving saturday
    me: what?! did I not tell you bout my thing this saturday?
    acidwife: uhm.. what is that thing again?
    me: I can't believe this
    acidwife: well, that's why I called you up, I wanted to ask you if we can join her
    me: uhm, I called you up.
    acidwife: I emailed you earlier to call me
    me: (checks email) uhm, no you didn't.
    acidwife: anyway, I got excited about this and I really want us and the kids to go
    me: why don't you and the kids go. I can't join you.
    acidwife: ok

:fu:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  13. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

What ever happened to Mind of Mencia used to have my rolling about on the floor of laughter.

14. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

You were the only vuewer, and didn't buy enough if the sponsors' products on your own.

15. MrG

MrG Senior member

This is how you do a destination wedding. It sounds like you guys really went out of your way to consider your guests, which is awesome. You were clearly grateful that they made the trip, and I'm betting that was obvious. In my case, it was the exact opposite. We felt like a burden to them, and it was like they did everything they could to make the trip as painful as possible.

They also made the trip as demanding as possible for their attendants. I got there on Thursday afternoon, and the wedding was Saturday afternoon. Aside from a few hours Friday morning where I played golf with some buddies who were guests but not in the wedding, my entire visit from Thursday evening on was dominated by wedding obligations. Those 18 holes were pretty much the only awake, non-wedding time I had from Thursday evening to when I left town on Sunday morning.

Ironically, the wedding I've been griping about was in Savannah, too.

Yeah, it was pretty bad. I think his wife was the driving force behind most of it. Actually, I know she was. The whole thing was really out of character for the groom, who was generally very considerate of others and not the type to have such a big to do. I recall him making a comment at some point about how there'd been friction between the two of them because the bride was starting to go nuts.

It's a little sad, really, because, like you mentioned with your friend, my friendship with him has been on a decline since that wedding. I don't know what exactly has caused it, but the wedding does seem to be a pretty clear turning point.

I've been an attendant in about half a dozen weddings, and I received a gift in each one. I also gave each of my groomsmen a gift. They're not generally anything outrageous - generally less than about $50, often substantially so - but I've definitely received something in each one. Also, at least in the case of my friends, they usually involve booze (five of seven either included alcohol or alcohol-related accouterments).

To be honest, it's not so much about the expectation that you'll be rewarded for standing up; it's more about the opportunity to say "thank you for being a part of such an important day for me." What struck me about the wedding with the cufflinks was the fact that they even managed to make the token of their gratitude to their attendants about them (also, the cufflinks were ugly toggle backs).

Or this.

Yeah, the assuming was the worst part, mostly because of the childcare thing. There was no context provided; they simply said on the invitation that there'd be childcare at the venue. To us, it stood to reason that this meant they were just going to have something arranged for parents, and we didn't find out until very short notice that this wasn't the case.

On the bright side, you get a little alone time. I love my family, but I'd be lying if I said it's not nice to have the house to myself every now and again.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  16. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Same here. I used to call my friend's wife "the Clutch," because it was obvious she had his tiny balls between her sharp, painted nails. This is somewhat ironic, as he (and his three brothers) were three of the most sexist guys I've ever know.

At any rate, though it may have been Janelle* who was the driving force, my friend was still the spineless sap who allowed it to happen.

*The names of the bitches have been retained. They can suck it.

17. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

steamed or roasted broccoli with a touch of butter is awesome stuff.

I find that cheese overdoes it though and can really pack on the calories. unfortunately, it seems like half of american only sees broccoli as a food you have doused with cheese.

i think this is fairly true. a big exception would be some types of Indian food that's vegan and has simply been made that way for decades (no disgusting meat substitutes).

18. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Indian food, Mexican food, etc...a lot of cuisines can be enjoyed without meat. And I am never lacking for flavor when I cook food. Lots of herbs, spices, and natural flavors go into my recipes.

19. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

american airlines flights from JFK to Rio de Janeiro round trip sucked. they have this shitty system where you check in yourself with automated kiosks - but the kiosks still end up needing to be manually overrided by a attendant (who has to check your visas then manually imputed by the worker). oh an you already pre check-in online? doesn't matter you still have to be checked in using those stupid fucking kiosks with attendants anyway.

this was business class too. I can only imagine (actually I could see and only feel bad for them) the long lines for those in general boarding and frustration of those who thought they already checked-in online only they still had to go through the machine that needs as AA worker to input for you.

then the planes themselves… oh gawd old assed legacy seats. fuck it I don't even want to complain anymore.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  20. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

American is truly awful. I refuse to fly them.

I love how a few months back they *repainted* their planes and had all these ads about it. Wish they had spent that money on cleaning their ancient jets and building a system that functions more than 50% of the time rather than just slapping a coat of paint on the planes and crowing about it.