1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I like marble better, too. It's cleaner and more elegant, IMO.

2. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

+1 for marble. I also like the patina that marble acquires. People that baby it too much annoy me--the stains, heat marks, etc are part of the charm.

3. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

That seems large to you?

1 person likes this.
  4. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I cut myself shaving. On the bottom of my nose. I have no god dam clue how I managed to do it

5. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

A mix of old age and lack of concentration ..

1 person likes this.
  6. otc

otc Senior member

My new mattress just got delivered. I think I am going to be happy with it, but god damn it is so thick!

I could have sworn the ones I looked at in the store weren't this thick, but it must have just been perspective and comparison bias (queens compared to my full, not actually on my platform bed, and maybe not thick compared to other mattresses in the shop).

I might need to buy new sheets :(

7. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Pony up and use your NFLX proceeds to get some nice 300-thread count sheets.

Also, did you get memory foam? Teh best!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  8. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Guy I worked with says " My neighbor told me he has 200 new black marble counter tops stacked in the parking garage of an apartment building in San Francisco . If you want em' take all you want " . We borrowed a truck and a fork lift from work and grabbed @ 50 . We stacked them in a friends barn . This was about 10 yrs ago . There are still around 30 left . True story.

9. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

the variation is part of the natural beauty of granite. i love it for counters. but i prefer marble for floors and walls.

10. otc

otc Senior member

I hate memory foam. I suppose the mattress might have integrated memory foam inside it somewhere but I hate that shit and how it conforms to you and holds in the heat.

Also, it is bad for the sex (not that that would be a problem for you).

1 person likes this.
  11. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

The countertop thing has been debated to death in some of the fine living threads, but...

...I chose marble. I dislike the look of granite, though not as much as I dislike the look of those quartz things. They look like... fake granite. Indubitably, the quartz and granite tops are more utilitarian than marble; they are harder and more bulletproof. Everyone will try to talk you out of marble if you ever choose it. But you have to just accept that the dings and dents and scratches and etches and blotty splotches and watermarks are simply commemorations of past moments. If you can get around that, I think marble is, by far, the most aesthetically beautiful choice. It has the added advantage of working in just about any stylistic environment.

If you have a very modern kitchen, some of the quartz materials can harmonize better, but that was not an option for me. I like the idea of stainless and butcher block as well, and I considered using them in some portions of the kitchen, but I would not personally want them everywhere.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  12. zarathustra

zarathustra Senior member

This I can live with

[​IMG]

This I cannot

[​IMG]

13. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Exactly.

14. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

My brother has a company that installs high end countertops, and he says the best you can get for your money in terms of durability are the synthetic, resin based ones.

15. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

How about you move on from being 21 and get your own place?

2 people like this.
  16. js4design

js4design Senior member

I work on the 2nd floor of my building and never take the elevator because I'm not a prick. Recently, fatties from the teen floors have decided to "get in shape" by taking the elevator down to the 2nd floor and taking the last floor of stairs, and taking the stairs to the 2nd floor elevator bank when they come back to the building. Fine, except they are soooo slow and there is a herd of them, so they block the stairs for anyone wanting to ascend or descend at a normal pace. I've been stuck behind them 5 times in less than a week already.

17. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Get a sheep dog or start moohing.

18. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

see, that is exactly what i love about granite. i like the larger pattern/swirling/whatever. i love the durability, my wife loves that it is super easy to clean and super strong.

ours is more of a tan/brown/black than that gray tho. much nicer than whats in that pic imo.

19. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Take the elevator up to the third floor, then go back down a floor. *Bam* problem solved.

20. zarathustra

zarathustra Senior member

Didn't mean so much the colours. It is more the consistency. I like solids or small consistent repeating patterns (that almost take on the solid look). Oh an I hate when people put the granite or marble all the way up the backsplash. Four inches. Ok. More than that and we have problems.