1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

Somebody in Ventura, California used my credit card to buy $6.38 worth of tacos. Fuck you, whoever you are.

1 person likes this.
  2. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

Did that put you over your credit limit?

3 people like this.
  3. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Sorry, bro. And they were actually shrimp tacos, if that makes a difference.

2 people like this.
  4. StephenHero

No, but not now I have to wait 7-10 days for a new credit card and have to re-enter billing information for about 6-8 places that automatically bill me monthly. Ugh. Tacos? What sort of self-respecting taco joint in California accepts credit cards anyway?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  5. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Pain in the ass - sorry.
    Was it just that one transaction? That's a bit random.

6. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

I recently had my debit card stolen from my favorite watering hole (the owner thinks it was one of the deadbeat dishwashers). It was used for a $6 Wendy's purchase and $30 in gas.

7. zarathustra

zarathustra Senior member

You got off light. I had my debit card cloned and my account virtually drained in a matter of a few hours. One would have thought that swipes occurring within minutes of each other, at locations that were two hours away should have triggered the fraud checks. WTF.

8. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Jesus. This makes me want to disconnect my checking acct. from the debit card and use it only for ATM withdrawals. But that's such a blow to the convenience factor.

9. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

It's actually not surprising at all. Quite the first charge is a smaller "test" purchase; gas stations and fast food are typical to make sure the card is working, also to establish a geographical pattern, and the next purchases are the bigger ones. If you ever get a new card and want to see it get cancelled right away, fill up at a gas station with your first purchase and then go try to buy a flat-screen TV within a half-hour.

10. samadhi27

samadhi27 Senior member

A friend of mine got pickpocketed at a restaurant. The thief then immediately tried to buy $500 worth of gift cards at Target and rent a car from Hertz, neither of which worked.

11. otc

otc Senior member

I do a lot of programming in a statistics package at work. This language has a lot of different functions...it happens to have one set of functions that is syntactically different from most of the other stuff (since it was borrowed from another language) but is very useful if you know how to use it. There are people in the office who get mad if you use it since they don't quite understand it and are thus unable to check it. Somehow they are able to justify not getting out a manual or otherwise figuring out how this one function (that has been a part of the language since well before they started using the language) works. I don't understand how you can make that argument. It's part of the damn language and it is incredibly useful--by refusing to learn it, you are not only limiting yourself, but you are limiting the abilities of the people you collaborate with if you can't work with their code.

It is like if you had a fully stocked workshop. You've got every tool imaginable, all sorts of supplies, and books of plans and instructions. Somebody comes to you with a table with nailed on legs and complains that they are getting loose and asks you to fix it. You figure the nails keep pulling out of their holes, so you decide to take a screwdriver and screw them in place. Screws are a little different (they require twisting instead of hammering), but they are a better solution to the problem. You give them their table back and they say "wtf is this shit" and decide to remove your screws and instead replace them with 25 nails hammered in from different directions.

And yet somehow this behavior is relatively prevalent and accepted :( It's not like people are trying to use some newfangled technology...it has been built into the software for 30 years. It's not "when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail" since you've got a screwdriver right next to you. And these people have all learned how to use much more specialized functions...it's like they learned how to hammer a nail and then moved on to the biscuit joiner without ever bothering to learn how to turn a screwdriver.

12. otc

otc Senior member

It's like auditing someone's excel sheet and saying:
    I see you used =SUMPRODUCT(A3:A10,B3:B10)...I don't know what that means so I rewrote it as =A3*B3+A4*B4+A5*B5+A6*B6+A7*B7+A8*B8+A9*B9+A10*B10

Nobody here does that. They say "oh, that's cool, I didn't know about that function" and then maybe they use it the next time they need to do something similar.

13. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

just ate my first cup of cup o noodles in probably 10 years.

when did they decide to cut the noodles so small that you can't twist them around a fork anymore?

14. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

I had my wallet stolen once in Philly. Seems the thief racked up $500 in bar tabs and $600 at a strip club.

Oh wait no, that wasn't a thief that was me.

1 person likes this.
  15. StephenHero

I presume when some idiot mother choked her infant to death on them because she was out of carrot paste and then threatened to burn their empire to the ground in court.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  16. StephenHero

17. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

the decline and fall of the british empire

18. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Please tell me that's a shoop.

1 person likes this.
  19. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

I feel you. :fistbump:

20. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I am looking for that Sam Jackson/Jules gif about English...