• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So like if Client x is alleged to have raped the Complainant 12 times I would put that in excel?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

What should be created in excel? I honestly have no idea.

tables and lists.
and anything with math.

For instance, if you are going to send someone a list of 50 people and expect them to do something with it, freeform word content is not helpful:

John Stevens, (resides at 123 Green St, City, ST zip) - ****** ******* with trial date at the Kockatoucha County courthouse.
Ted Jones, 432 Red Drive #3, City, ST zip. Midget ******. Has a hearing at the Littleton courthouse.
x50.

Wouldn't it be so much nicer to have a nice table with columns for
First Name, Last Name, Address, City, State, Zip, Accused of, Date, Location, etc.

Then I could filter the list and look at only ****** diddlers from florida or convert it to other formats for analysis without having to bill you a few thousand dollars to have someone to copy+paste all of that crap into excel and then have someone else check to make sure they copied it right.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I would recommend putting something highly unique and personal (but not in a "raise HR's eyebrows" kind of way) about yourself at the end of your resume. I have listed "Amateur Bagpipe Player" for years and it used to get referenced any time I interviewed.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

So like if Client x is alleged to have raped the Complainant 12 times I would put that in excel?

Yes. And you could include a formula that updates for each additional infraction.

I would recommend putting something highly unique and personal (but not in a "raise HR's eyebrows" kind of way) about yourself at the end of your resume. I have listed "Amateur Bagpipe Player" for years and it used to get referenced any time I interviewed.

Interesting. Do you think it helped at all? To me that type of stuff always seemed sort of odd to put on a resume, especially stuff that doesn't have a quantifiable outcome (i.e. completing a marathon), but I'm always willing to listen to the opinion of someone who sits on the other side of the table.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sorry to hear it, Stitch. I hope it doesn't hit you too hard.
Get some zinc and some rest!

thanks, G. i hope so as well. good idea on the zinc. ill rest up when i get home from work.

i was supposed be on the road today for about 2.5 hours, at least that got cancelled.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Yes. And you could include a formula that updates for each additional infraction.
Interesting. Do you think it helped at all? To me that type of stuff always seemed sort of odd to put on a resume, especially stuff that doesn't have a quantifiable outcome (i.e. completing a marathon), but I'm always willing to listen to the opinion of someone who sits on the other side of the table.

I think if it's something compellingly interesting but not overly hokey and does not have much likely baggage attached it's effective. It's finding that tidbit about yourself that seems to compel people that is the tricky part. I've been asked about if I play for police funerals, or what clan I belong to, and other things over this. Something like this could easily backfire but if you notice it consistently draws the interviewer in, well, I think you have a winner.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I have at times wondered if it was worth it to put my marathon PR and date at the bottom (2012 Chevron Marathon, finished 3:47) to assure people I was not overweight. I have not done this (yet!)

But it did come up in a not-quite-recent interview where the HR manager had also run it. But I can't recall how it came into the conversation.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I've been racing cyclocross for a few years now and it is listed as an activity/interest at the bottom of my resume (just after the glob of "skills"). It's not something so basic as putting "I like riding bikes!" so interviewers ask about it, we talk about it, I make it sound fun, and it gives the illusion that I can carry a conversation and that I do interesting things.

I wonder if I should work sailing into there now since I usually talk about it in interviews. Up until now, I had the standard college-grad resume with a "Leadership Activities" section (since I didn't have enough real experience to fill a page :) ) where I mention being captain of my university's sailing team...but my next resume is probably dropping that section.

Last edited:

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I agree with Piob, it's a good idea to have a section on "Interests and Activities". At worst they'll be ignored, at best they're conversation starters and may even turn out to be a common interest with the interviewer. I think putting "Marathoner" is reasonable, but listing specific races and completion times is tricky. Another marathoner may or may not be impressed by your time, and a non-runner may just think you're a pompous show-off.

The tricky thing about listing "MS Office" as a skill vs not is that for many jobs you have to make it past a keyword search before anybody will actually look at your resume. Just listing "Proficient in MS Office" makes you sound like a wanker, but working it into a job description does not, ie "Created a point-of-sale solution for a small retail business using Visual Basic with an Access Database back-end."

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, all. As anyone who has read my posts regarding work knows, I'm looking for a job, so it's interesting to read different perspectives. A major problem right now is that places are inundated with applicants; I wonder if adding something like an "interests" section might help me stand out a bit.

I'll have to reflect upon which hobbies I have that could work well in such a section. Well, "DT Mod" is obviously entry #1, but I feel like I should have at least one or two other items, as well.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I just stretched out at my desk, and the heel of my foot grazed the on/off switch on the power strip under my desk. My computer, both monitors, desk phone, desk lights, blackberry charger, and digital photo thing all shut off instantly.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

garage door broke a torsion spring and then threw a roller into Only God Knows Where. Now I'm weighing the cost/benefit of doing it myself versus paying someone to handle it. grr.

:fu: Fixing garage door springs is such a huge PITA. It's not hard, but to make sure that the springs are pulling equal tension and keeping the door level is obnoxious. Side note: do you not have a safety wire through your spring to prevent **** from flying all over?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads