1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

To add on to this: If you want to be a practicioner that becomes a manager (some hospitals/clinics/physician groups have requirements that C-level management practice X% where X is like 20-50%) then get your ass in med school asap. I'm only a first year so not as knowledgeable on hospital management as piob (though I'm not making up things I say either -- talked to a lot of C-levels). By the time you graduate, do your residency, fellowship, get established, ... If you're looking for managerial positions you do your career a huge disservice messing around beforehand. Figure out what you're looking for in terms of clinics: do you want to work rural, urban, academic, etc. Then figure out if you care about working with certain populations over others and see where hospital adminstrators came from in those clinics. It's not guaranteed and there's many tiers of administration, but it gives you a better window than trying to jump into it through consulting -- very few people have success with that in medicine from what I've heard.

2. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

scorpion only a couple feet from where my feet go under my desk :uhoh: scorpion scorpion ugggggg.... hate those little bastards.

3. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I'm conflicted because I want to to be both a practitioner and a manager. Probably not at the same time. I was envisioning practicing for a few years and then eventually moving to management.

I was thinking of consulting -> MD/MBA -> Residency -> Attending -> Department Head/Director -> COO

For now it's just a pipe dream. Already struggling on the first step.

I've thought about going into health administration right away, but the obstacle I keep coming across is that every job posting I see either requires a masters in health administration or an RN or at the very least a bachelors in a relevant field with a few years relevant work experience. In addition a lot of states require candidates to already have Nursing Home Administrator or Health Facility Administrator licenses for even entry level assistant administrator positions. Lastly if I'm going to pursue an MD/MBA I feel like another masters is going to be an unnecessary time and money sink.

Thank you for your advice. I'll keep applying to the types of positions you've mentioned and thank you for writing out the name of the companies. Sometimes the hardest part is finding the names of relevant companies.

4. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Get your fucking md dumbass

2 people like this.
  5. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

This really is excellent advice and I will take it to heart. Why do you feel that working 2, 3 years before going to medical school is a huge disservice? I was thinking that to get into the MBA portion of the dual degree program I would need some work experience

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  6. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Just googled it. Definitely have ridden in one of those once or twice, but only for very short trips.

Nightmare indeed, for my legs at least (6'1").

7. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

dual degrees are fucking stupid. Universities love them though, easy cash in thanks to $250 application fees.

2 people like this.
  8. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

wow. good luck on yer hunt, meng... something will come up.

methinks it is not just the corporate side that loathe you so.

dude if it weren't for peasants like you selling ale to people like me :satisfied: I would have probably lost my sanity years ago! you are doing the Lord's work... not beer, but Jesus did turn water into wine because of all those guests bitching about how lame the wedding in Canaan was, and they're probably right, and the guy that was supposed to sell or bring the Jewbeer for the wedding was probably out in the desert whining about some existential bullshit about his work.

golden advises right there! :slayer:

#firstworldproblems indeed... not to gloat or humblebrag but growing up out here the idea of "personal fulfillment" in one's job was pretty alien to us. what we learn is to love the fucking job we have now, specially if it pays well.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  9. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

There was a bee in my car today. I became so absorbed with killing the bee that I completely forgot I was on the road driving. Eventually I realized "oh shit I am doing the act of driving" and I looked ahead (through the windshield). (The bee was on my driver's side window, which is where I'd been looking.) But when I looked out the windshield, I saw that the lanes had become narrower than my car, to where I could not stay within the lanes. Everyone was like "stay in your lane asshole!" but my car was wider than the lanes how could I stay in?

10. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

[​IMG]

yes I know its a plane

11. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

I was dumb enough to buy something from Gilt, thinking it actually wouldn't be shitty this time, despite the glut of personal experience that should have told me otherwise.

1 person likes this.
  12. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

why do you say this?

13. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Some idiot dropped chocolate in my laptop earlier and now it's all chocolaty. :embar:

14. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I am sure Neo could help you out. He is a wealth of knowledge.

2 people like this.
  15. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

by the time you start your PGY1 you're time committed and all-in, even if you're not sure you really want it. sometimes the allure of high paying surgical specialties its too much (especially if you're being recruited). Something like Urology, Neuro, Cardio-Thoracic, or Vascular often have a 5-7 year residency + fellowship.

these types of surgical residencies you have no social life, and are forced to spend your prime years mid 20s to early 30's in a bubble. its really sad to see guys late into their residencies often well into their 30's who finally decide they don't want to finish. Its good they know they don't want it and are making the right decision, but again you're so time committed, years wise, you almost have to finish even if its killing you.

personally i get jealous of the Veterinarians i've gotten to know in the past couple of years in brooklyn. the veterinarians right now are like the doctors in the 60s who even without a residency can make mid 6 figures with a small clinic, work regular office hours (often times 10am-5pm), love their work (yehey healing cute animals!) and are loved in the community.

plus the money for procedures is paid upfront. even with out pet insurance pet lovers here in the States really don't think twice about it.

the VERG clinic in cobble hill (for emergency cases) has nicer facilities than some hospitals. the williamsburg animal clinic's owner Dr. Diaz is this Peurto rican heart throb dude who probably makes over a million a year, is fawned over by williamsburg's population (think of all the cute hipster pussy he must slay). The North side Veterinary group have customers so loyal they commute in from NJ/CT/Manhattan to to get simple prescriptions.

^thats just in brooklyn too.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  16. otc

otc Senior member

Its not so much the legroom. The airlines seem to use the same standards in determining legroom across the fleet, so that part isn't any worse than it would be on a bigger plane.

The problem is more due to how tight the curve at the top of the fuselage is. It means that somebody who is 6'+ and sits in the window seat doesn't actually fit in the seat. Their shoulder will hit the curving wall and they will be leaned into aisle seat's space, making both people miserable. Since the travel agent has it down that I would prefer a window seat, I have to be careful to see if a flight is planned on a CRJ700 and make sure I get the seat changed. Then, because of how tightly the top of the plane slopes over, there is zero room in the overhead compartment and everything beyond a small soft-bag gets gate checked automatically. Not a problem if you know it is coming and are on a short trip...but if you didn't expect the CRJ or were on a long trip, you get stuck waiting for your bag in the jetway.

Its not just because it's a small plane though...I flew in a similar size Embraer (E-170? 175?) and it's a way better plane. The window seat is plenty comfortable for a broad shouldered tall dude and the overhead bin's might actually fit a standard carry-on.

17. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

MD/MBA is a losing proposition. You'll get the MBA between years 2-3 of med school (i.e after taking Step 1 but before starting clinical rotations). The likelihood you have any useful recall of business strategies, etc. by the time you're in a position to need the skills is going to be negligible. Let's say you want to go into basic IM as a hospitalist, one of the shorter residencies. You start school two years from now (assuming you get in next application cycle). You are already 24 at the point of starting? 2 years of med school, 2 yaers of MBA, 2 years of med school. You graduate at 30. You are in residency until your mid-30s. It's already been 5+ years since your MBA when you become an attending physician. Without regular practice of business skills, do you expect to remember anything? What if you add a few years to research or subspecialize?

The timeline. I don't know if you have family plans; I recall you had a girlfriend at some point. Look at what I wrote above about the ages you're looking at. Becoming an established physician even eligible for an administrative position in your practice takes a long time. The physicians==>managers I know that did it worked in committees for years, slowly getting more and more involved. Why delay that for a few years of skills nobody will care about? The chance of you doing something as a junior analyst for a consulting firm that is so significant to be relevant in 15 years is infinitesimally small. MD/MBA programs typically don't require you to have had significant work experience to do them, just an idea of what you're expecting to get out of it.

This is also true. Some schools (Yale) will pay for whatever the fuck you want to do, but all the rest charge you a healthy sum of money. And you will still be accruing interest on your $100k of the first two years of med school WHILE adding an MBA and then adding even more for the last two years of med school.

From what I've heard: Vets for small-animal pets (dogs, cats, etc.) are actually clawing for business right now. The real money for vets is in large animals, but nobody wants to do that. It's a hard world for them, but there are way fewer vet schools than other programs.

18. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

Don't Vets have a massive suicide rate because people get into it because they love animals and then spend 8 hours a day euthanising them?

19. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i hate returning to the office to see that somebody left me a voicemail. Our archaic phone system requires WAY too many phone button pushes to access voicemail message. 29 button pushes to be exact, I counted.

I see you called, I'll fucking call you back if I feel like it. 29. stupid.

20. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Holy shit. And I thought my VM system was archaic. probably 15 button pushes here.